Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Currently the time to go into record is .5 second not 2 seconds. We are looking at a shifted mode like we have in Nomad but we want to keep the MAXX operation as simple as possible with not as many configuration choices. We are open to change if there is a consensus . MAXX is not a mini Nomad. It is its own product and there will be differences from Nomad.

Glenn

Whether it is a mini nomad or not is beside the point. It shares a common operating system and design, that is the point. So why miss out a basic user choice, many of which are common to both machines. Keep it simple -sure, when you press record, your priority is to go into record, not Tc. It is only the most important function of the machine, yet it is a secondary one. What do you say about the cumbersome way to change folders? That isn't simple either.

Two questions about the AES-ins and outs of this lovey little machine:

1. Are they only direct outs or are we able to route multiple inputs/tracks to each one?

2. Is it possible to use the 4 AES ins at the same time as the 4 AES outs or are they the same connectors?

1 - Maxx can output 4 direct outs on 2 AES pairs plus your L / R Mix bus over 1 AES pair

2 - Yes you can there are separate connectors

@macrecorder are you changing folders often? Most of us make a new folder for every day, and that's it. By "us", I mean Zaxcom users. This system has existed in the Devas for years.

I think you have to turn off mirroring because otherwise there could be writing to the card. Doesn't apply to Maxx, but with the Fusion I was told i could turn off mirroring and then pull the mirror card (while the machine is running).

I actually went and checked the time it takes to put Maxx into record and it is actually closer to .5 seconds not the 2 seconds I posted earlier.

Now the difference to put Nomad into record in shifted vs un-shifted mode is pressing and release the record key vs press and hold the record key for 1/2 a second. In my opinion its not that big of a deal especially considering what Frankie said that it prevents you from accidently putting Maxx into record and more importantly accidently stopping recording.     

With my Nomad, I'm not extremely fond of needing a long push for record, or that push being a membrane type key and positioned so close to a gain knob, yet I want to be able to quickly access each item available under all the keys without an additional key press. 

Solution:  I added a remote start/stop miniature toggle switch to the bag.  Now I have the best of both worlds.

post-18-0-11663300-1376967365_thumb.jpg

With my Nomad, I'm not extremely fond of needing a long push for record, or that push being a membrane type key and positioned so close to a gain knob, yet I want to be able to quickly access each item available under all the keys without an additional key press. 

Solution:  I added a remote start/stop miniature toggle switch to the bag.  Now I have the best of both worlds.

attachicon.gifnomad_switch1.jpg

Now THIS I like!

I too rather dislike the membrane record button. I actually don't think much of the 'multifunction' keys in general, but that's a whole other can of worms...

Lots of good points and tweaks coming out here in this thread. Glenn a while back mentioned something to the effect that; Nomad was a machine made to be customized. -paraphrasing-. I'm all for it. Give us menus where we can set the length of push to record, add or remove track display pages we don't want to cycle through etc...

I'm also in the boat that would prefer a short push record long push stop.

Interesting collection of views. So i am not the only one who wonders about the membrane switches, particularly for REC. (in addition, I would swap the awkward position of the star key for the power key). I am baffled by Jack's claim that 'what difference does it make', when it makes a big difference - I just want to jab REC and go into record, as often happens when you suddenly need to, boom in one hand, on the go - as I have done on innumerable machines since DAT. I really don't like going into TC functions by mistake on the major function of the machine. Glen's assertion about Nomad and Maxx being different machines also baffles me - does this minor but important unshift function really define the difference between the two machines, and is that supposed to make me want a Nomad? This is petty and silly, and makes me question Zaxcom's attitude and thinking - give users what they want, especially when it comes to very small software changes - it boggles my mind that 2 machines with exactly the same transport layout and switches have software options removed on one -which is why the dealer and Nomad users assured me that I would be able to unshift, never for a second dreaming that 2 identical transport systems would differ in functionality on this basic point. So I hope they see sense and relent. 

@macrecorder are you changing folders often? Most of us make a new folder for every day, and that's it. By "us", I mean Zaxcom users. This system has existed in the Devas for years.

I think you have to turn off mirroring because otherwise there could be writing to the card. Doesn't apply to Maxx, but with the Fusion I was told i could turn off mirroring and then pull the mirror card (while the machine is running).

Yes, I like to be able to change folder on a major change of scene. On docs I often end up with 6 or 8 folders at the end of the day - for example INT 1, atmos, Interviews, EXT, voiceover etc. I just think that when people go back to them, they can easily identify what they are looking for, eg interviews for transcription, atmos etc. And are therefore more likely to use them. I like the SD way of quick next folder, then usually rename them at the end of the day Just keeps everything neat and organised. I don't like to give editors a humungous folder full of unidentified files, as they usually glaze over and give up beofre they started. I am sure you are right about the MARF business making this long-winded on the Maxx. My solution would be to give users the option not to have to have MARF, and choose whether they wanted MARF, WAV, or both. I know all the arguments about MARF, but I have never run out of power during a take, so don't consider that a priority, plus you could engage it if you felt it was likely. Then you could do a quick switch to next folder if just using WAV or MARF alone. But I'm not really expecting to see this one (!), unfortunately.

" This is petty and silly, and makes me question Zaxcom's attitude and thinking -"

Our mission is to deliver the best most innovative products to you and to support you in your daily work. There is no reason to ponder these questions on this forum or publicly complain about the worst case number of keystrokes needed to do something. Just give me a call. Tell me what you like and what you don't. We have listened to our customers for 28 years and now is not the time to stop. If you or anyone can give us a good idea on an operational improvement we will incorporate it if possible. MAXX has been out less than 2 months. We will make be making changes as we always have. I look forward to our talk.

Glenn

973-835-5000

Macrecorder,

Personally, I feel privileged to have such an attentive ear from the manufacturers here on this forum. I dont take for granted that they will make every change to please me, but if they do i will say Thank you! When was the last time you heard Sony changing/tweaking their menu/system/operation for someone? I know im new around here and might get flammed for this but to me manners are manners, could you ask politely and with a please instead of expecting the machine to behave exactly like you wish it did? Maxx is a work in progress and i find its pretty solid as it is now. Im sure they will tweak it for us eventually, meanwhile lets keep smiling because we are in a beautiful field of work...

My 0.02$

Franky

I think Franky hit the nail on the head. I believe we are blessed with having Mfg's that actually listen to the end users, and at least try to add what they hear into the end product. Do all of the suggestions and ideas make it, no. But, in the 20+ years I have been around this industry, I have see far more end user ideas get adopted, than get tossed out. Check and see how that works in most other industries.

Thank you for the post, Franky.

And, I've been wanting to say this so I'll just go ahead and say it, "These are tools, not a religion.  If you have issues with the design concept of a particular piece of gear, vote with your dollars and BUY SOMETHING ELSE!"  

Good grief, talk about some whiners!  "This is not a perfect machine and I want a perfect machine."  Another consequence of the age of entitlement.  Nothing is perfect or ever will be.  Buy the best tool for the job and get to work.

I mentioned that I wasn't fond of membrane switches for REC and STOP.  True, so I added an external switch and the problem was solved.  Fortunately, the Nomad was designed with the flexibility to do that.  And it's a simple, easy solution.  Moving on now.

Quite frankly, I would like to see Glenn ignore the flamers, whatever their suggestions, and listen to those of us who believe that a civil discourse is beneficial for all.  There are plenty of good ideas coming from satisfied users -- those are the people he should listen to.

Maxx is a work in progress and i find its pretty solid as it is now. I'm sure they will tweak it for us eventually

Maxx as with all Zaxcom product evolve. The first step is to get the equipment as stable as can be - then add features and incorporate user requested items.

Over the next few weeks several new items will be added to both Nomad and Maxx - many of these items are as a direct result to user feedback.

Maxx is only out a few weeks so just like a fine wine it needs to breathe - during that time Zaxcom will be monitoring Maxx's performance and listening to user feedback and will update Maxx accordingly. And that will continue for quite some time in fact Zaxcom still continues updating its Deva recorders.