Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

These particular tools in question and the software behind them i believe are traveling on the road towards some type of synonym of perfection. This could be why so many have so much to say. And the FACT that ideas, suggestions and complaints actually lead to improvements, modifications and revisions, sometimes in short order! can on occasion empower owners and non owners to chime in, and flame up the discourse. On good days and bad. But seriously, who else would even listen or care about any of this. Pillow talk this is not. Cheers to traveling down this road with all y'all, the moderate gear rants, raves, flames and all.

Solution:  I added a remote start/stop miniature toggle switch to the bag.  Now I have the best of both worlds.

John, that's pretty groovy. Question: are you concerned about accidentally toggling the toggle switch? Any particular reason you went for a toggle rather than a rocker or something similar? 

John, that's pretty groovy. Question: are you concerned about accidentally toggling the toggle switch? Any particular reason you went for a toggle rather than a rocker or something similar? 

No concerns.  If I'm working under frantic conditions where I might accidentally hit the toggle, I can just unplug it and use the Nomad's switches.  That hasn't been the case so far -- it's placed where it's pretty much out of the way.  I decided I preferred the action of a toggle over a rocker, etc. -- personal preference, I guess -- partly because it's not as "clunky" sounding as a rocker.

I so far really like the Maxx. It gets it's first trial run tomorrow, and I'm certain it will do well. The size and track count won me over from what SD products were in my price range.

Because it got buried, I'll re-ask: did feet ship with the Maxx, and if so, mine didn't include any- is there a way I can order some?

Maxx does not come with feet. We should have them available in about 4 weeks. 

Glenn

Thanks for the fast reply! Will they cost, and if so, how much? Also: I requested this earlier, but anyway to show the custom track names on the main screen (they are displayed on the record screen currently).

Again, fantastic product. I had a fun time trying to clip the inputs showing it off to another sound mixer this week. We're both new to Zaxcom recorders and the interface is quite easy to pickup.The amount of features at this price point is really nice, and the recordings sound great! I've been using a mixer to recorder setup for awhile and it's awesome to have everything in one unit and not sacrifice features.

Thanks Nick, I am very happy that you took the time to really test out the sound quality. I think that most people judge this by listening  at more normal levels and do not know good this product sounds without typical limiter distortion.

We do not have a price on the feet yet . It will be fairly low I think. Not much to them.

We worked to make the interface as simple as possible with as few menus as we could put in.

Glenn

@Macrecorder yeah, make your list and call Glenn. I never used multiple folders, though i used to use a machine that required a few DVD-Ram discs per day, so my training is to have a sound report. There would be no way to use multiple folders on that machine. Interesting idea to have a folder of things that get transcribed. Again, if that was my responsibility to track, I would probably use the sound report to denote the interviews (versus ambience or something).

This is also why message boards like this and on Zaxcom.com are great. People can float ideas and the users can hash them out. I've seen quite a few ideas become reality really quickly with Zaxcom firmware over the years. Some things are actually really easy to add, and some are not possible. Thats why real user feedback is so useful.

Yesterday I had my first job with the Maxx. Previous to the Maxx, I didn’t own a recorder but rented another favorite competitive brand from the usual suspects.

My work primarily consists of 1-4 talent, corporate interviews, run & gun and documentaries.

After clarifying some confusion with headphone routing which Jack was kind to explain the night before, I had the Maxx prepped with all the correct routing.  There are many things that I love about it. First of all when I heard about how clean the pre’s are,  I didn’t believe it. I had to hear it and it feels good to own this machine.  When it comes to button pushing, I have no complaints. If our livelihood involves our gear then we must know it inside and out and I believe that to be investment that the end user must make. I prefer to have one button for trim and a visual display to go with it. I prefer that it doesn’t overheat.  The screen is perfect.  I appreciate that it flashed when it wasn’t mirroring, after which I proceeded to enable mirroring on “continuous.”

So what if MARF files take quite some room on the CF card? I would rather have and invest in large CF cards than pay the price with a recorder which files could be corrupted upon a power loss or other issue.  There are many things I as I said but ultimately every one needs to spend some time and test it for themselves.

The only thing I ask is for scene & take numbers and frame rate on the screen. And the only future suggestion is that perhaps one day it will have voice recognition, allowing me to press the slate button and say “format card,” or “record at 23.976”  it will do it.

One can dream right? J

I am glad that I wasn’t quick to judge about previous things with nomad because this is Maxx and I realized months before making my purchase that Zaxcom is at a different stage. My respects to a fine product. 

" There is no reason to ponder these questions on this forum or publicly complain about the worst case number of keystrokes needed to do something. Just give me a call... OK we will have a fix tomorrow.."   ::)

Glenn and his spokesperson Jack are very helpful, andhugely responsive

Over the next few weeks several new items will be added to both Nomad and Maxx - many of these items are as a direct result to user feedback.... which Jack was kind to explain the night before, "  ::)

Spokesperson Jack, and Glenn are very helpful, and hugely responsive

and this apparently qualifies as <old cap>

Hi

Received my Maxx a few days ago and am spending some time with it.  Interesting it seems both very easy and very complex at the same time.  Easy because things make logical sense once you get what they do.  Complex because it does a heck of a lot of stuff.  I am coming from a SD 702.

Quick question if anyone knows.  I am getting the following error. 

MIR_Z2BWFMaud_ERR

I am suspect it is warning of an error in a mirrored broadcast wave file, Z2.  Question, if my guess is correct, why and how do I prevent it.  Also how to deal with and clear the error. 

Thanks in advance for any that can help.

Blit,

Try to be more specific: when does this error come up? Does the Maxx still records in another folder?

Its difficult to answer your question but the usual troubleshooting tips apply:

Firmware version upgrade

Reformat/change cf card

Im sure Jack or Glenn will answer better than me but anyhow, phone them up...

Good luck,

Franky

Quick question if anyone knows. I am getting the following error.

MIR_Z2BWFMaud_ERR

I am suspect it is warning of an error in a mirrored broadcast wave file, Z2. Question, if my guess is correct, why and how do I prevent it. Also how to deal with and clear the error.

I would check with Howy directly but I believe it is a card issue. What card and size you using?

Question about preamps Maxx.

First off all design wise its for me an deammachine. But from the beginning I had the feeling that I missed low end soundwise. First I thought that that was only the headphone amp, but its in the pre s. I set up an synth as ocsilator and notice there is quite a lot cutoff starting as high at 140 Hz 1 or 2 db but from 80 Hz it goes quite fast down to about -10db at  40 Hz and more at 20 Hz all without hpf.  Thats all in the audible range even for normal voice recording. I realy miss the warm character of my carefully selected mics even with shwitched off hpf s. Fore shure in run and gun situations I always have engaged hpf, but I also do classical and jazz music programs and sfx gathering, where I like the full spectrum.

Is there any way to get rid off the fixed cutoff in the pre s despite to give up some headroom, but get the character back off my mics, where I am now not able to? All my mics have an cuttoff flter by it self when i need to get rid off more low end. The one s who don t have cutoff schwitches, do have also not that much bottom end, that the filters in Maxx can t handle.

Best, Ton

I designed Maxx to cut off at 50 Hz. This is what most tv/film sound mixers asked for. We can make it go down to 20 Hz easily but it would be a special order to do so.

I would boost the low end in post if you want to equalize out the low end to any desired lo freq response that fits the bill.

I am getting very positive feedback on the mic pre when used for music recording so I am very open to a special version for classical recording to better utilize the 137dB dynamic range..

Glenn

I designed Maxx to cut off at 80 Hz. This is what most tv/film sound mixers asked for. We can make it go down to 20 Hz easily but it would be a special order to do so.

I would boost the low end in post if you want to equalize out the low end to any desired lo freq response that fits the bill.

I am getting very positive feedback on the mic pre when used for music recording so I am very open to a special version for classical recording to better utilize the 137dB dynamic range..

Glenn

I had same feeling with Ton about Nomad&Maxx pre amp. And I do prefer a "warmer" sound. Plz list this sort of special modify info on your website so when people looking at them, they know what can be done.

Btw, check your email Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for fast reply. I realy like your company and its attitude to be open for suggestions.

I did before buying the thing research and never did find an post off this. Strange, it was the first what i was hearing when put it on.

Given is, I never worked with the Nomad to judge it. But was soundwise very happy with my zfr 100. So bought Maxx blind.

Do you think its possible to tweak it afterwards?

That should be great.

Best Ton