Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Hi

Thanks for the replies and suggestions about the Maxx MIR_Z2BWFMaud_ERR error.

I was hoping I could start with someone who knew the error codes sending me in the right direction.

The suggestion to try different cards is so correct, and should have been obvious to me, that I will try that.

At the moment I can only have a little time with the machine because of other work, I am not a sound person.

To try and be responsive to those who have been kind and interested enough to reply I am running software 1.07 and the card is a Transcend 32GB 133x.  I bought the card with the unit ostensibly to have a known compatible card.  The card was sold to me as known compatible.  But I should have suspected it anyways.  I will experiment and report back.  Otherwise the behavior has been very unpredictable.  Sometimes I get the error and the files are there and work, sometimes the file has just noise full scale.  Also I have had it not put any wave file on the card.  I have had to reformat the card in my PC and then again in Maxx to clear it.  Usually just reformatting it in the Maxx will clear the message.  I will try other cards before anything else.  This very inconsistent behavior really does point to a wonky card as the first place to look.

Thanks again for the help.

Blit

For starters the most up to date version of Maxx software is 1.13. And event though Maxx is only a few weeks old the software has been very stable so the it is doubtful that you are experiences any software issues - which makes a media issue all the more likely.

Regarding your specific error code and issues you are having - you should contact Zaxcom directly either by phone or through email at: support at zaxcom dot com

Just a reminder - the only version of ZaxConvert that will work with Maxx MARF files is version 6.13

http://www.zaxcom.com/software-updates

Any earlier version will not work.

rather frustratingly it won't make mp3 with timecode files, which was always a godsend for generating transcription files. I always thought that was one of the great things about MARF.

Just want to make an rectification about Maxx pre s.

I'm a little shocked by the uproar my message give. It was not my intention to hold off anyone to buy an Maxx.
Its an great [sounding] tool, and there s no reason not to buy it. But I did interpret the specs as it has straight output and schwitchable hpf s. Maybe my wishfull thinking.
It seems that most off us even didn t hear the difference and thats fine, as I stated, most of the time with dialog recording its only in the way all the lowend.
I am sure Glenn designed the pre s this way, to give us an machine thats easy in handling noise. Thats an choice and not a flaw. But a lot off mic manufacturers  do the same and then its doubled. Listen to any large diagram mic put it on your boom and enyoy the disaster. No shotgun have that response, all cutoff already. But you should be able to hear the difference even with voice.
Just want to say that I prefer to start from scratch and have the ability to create the sound I am after.

Best, Ton

I guess its all about expectations. For sure, I was expecting a flat frequency response. Im with you Ton, i too prefer starting from scratch. Then again I knew what being an early adopter is. Six months ago looking for my perfect recorder, Maxx what was my obvious choice. It still is today...

Franky

as anyone who follows jwsoundgroup.net knows...

" The suggestion to try different cards is so correct, and should have been obvious to me, that I will try that. "

... try that first!

8)

" I am not a sound person. "

that sorta' explains a bit... but what do you need this equipment for? are you a hobbyist ?? some sort of audiophile-snob ??

" you should contact Zaxcom directly either by phone or through email at: support at zaxcom dot com "

there is a novel idea.... but maybe s/he just wants to discuss it ..? :unsure:

" We (humans) can hear or perceive the fundamental frequency even if it's not physically present. :wacko: 

" Lowest fundamental on a standard piano is 22hz, "

although "sound" can go below 1 Hz (multiple seconds per cycle!), I think that a flat frequency response capability to 2 Hz is probably the best that can be done as a practical matter. there is a huge lot of technology in coding/decoding digital audio, filtering, aliasing/anti-aliasing issues, dithering, etc. etc.

" It seems that most off us even didn t hear the difference "  quite true,  but now that we know about it,  it is a major issue!  >:( (grrr!)

" I always thought that was one of the great things about MARF. "

HUH..?  MARF has nothing to do with MP-3 :blink:  MP-3 encoding is actually a proprietary format, requiring licensing.

" looking for my perfect recorder... "

... intil the next improved models are announced.  ???

" I always thought that was one of the great things about MARF. "

HUH..?  MARF has nothing to do with MP-3 :blink:  MP-3 encoding is actually a proprietary format, requiring licensing.

Next time, try understanding the topic under discussion, instead of patronising nonsense like this. The issue under discussion is zaxconvert in relation to MARF, plainly something you are entirely ignorant about. Hey, maybe you could use the search function, or do some googling. Contact the manufacturer if you don't understand it. You might learn something instead of wasting our time.

ho hum.

since this was a discussion thread about the Maxx i made the assumption (sorry) that you were talking about creating MP3s on the Maxx.

however i still stand by the statement that MARF and MP3 have nothing to do with each other. even if you have gotten zaxconvert to make MP3 files from either a MARF file from a recorder or a .zax file from a ZFR or TRX.

since we have started, how are (were) you using MARF to get timecoded MP3's?

and i am curious as its not a feature i use on zaxconvert myself, but would be good to know should it ever be asked of me.

Currently ZaxConvert , with and additional LAME encoder that you will need to download from a third party, can only create MP3 files from TRX or ZFR files, but not from Nomad or Maxx files.

The fundamental difference is the TRX and ZFR record one or two channel files. Then ZaxConvert converts them to two channel MP3 files - one to one. Nomad and Maxx MARF files are a bit different plus they are multi channel files (could be up to 12) and ZaxConvert through the LAME encoder can't handle the multiple tracks since the LAME encoder only outputs two channel MP3's.

Given that this is something that is on Zaxcom list of things to do.

MARF and MP3 have nothing to do with each other.

the Nomad (some models) has a built in linux processor that allowed you to convert files to MP3.

Just to add to the understanding of how the Nomad 12 is set up, it actually doesn't "convert files" to MP3.  This is how many of us thought it would work when we bought our Nomads.  However, the implementation that Zaxcom came up with is a bit different than that.  The way it works is that when you format the main card you prep it to record both the MARF files and the MP3 files. 

Then, if you record with the MP3 function turned on, it simultaneously records your MARF file and an MP3 file to the main card.  Unfortunately, the amount of DSP power necessary to do this means that normal broadcast wave continuous mirroring is painfully slow if you are recording several tracks.  If you're only recording two tracks, then BWF continuous mirroring is not so bad -- more than that and mirroring takes a good while to finish.  If you need an MP3 file, you can then mirror it (from the MP3 that is already recorded on the main card).  This after-the-fact MP3 mirroring is extremely fast since the compression is already accomplished and the MP3 files are really small.

Nomad won't do a conversion of the main files to MP3s -- they have to have been recorded in real time alongside the main files.

Just thought I'd clarify a bit.

That all makes sense, except that zaxconvert also has a facility to choose what tracks to convert. Therefore it would seem possible to be limited to choosing two tracks (if you have more than two, which is actually seldom the case for interviews) and then converting to 2 track tc embedded mp3's. Which would be very useful, given that the coding is already there. Hopefully that will be the case in future. (I was never talking about converting onboard the machine itself, as should have been apparent from my quoting Jack re zaxconvert).

Just to add to the understanding of how the Nomad 12 is set up, it actually doesn't "convert files" to MP3.  This is how many of us thought it would work when we bought our Nomads.  However, the implementation that Zaxcom came up with is a bit different than that.  The way it works is that when you format the main card you prep it to record both the MARF files and the MP3 files. 

Then, if you record with the MP3 function turned on, it simultaneously records your MARF file and an MP3 file to the main card.  Unfortunately, the amount of DSP power necessary to do this means that normal broadcast wave continuous mirroring is painfully slow if you are recording several tracks.  If you're only recording two tracks, then BWF continuous mirroring is not so bad -- more than that and mirroring takes a good while to finish.  If you need an MP3 file, you can then mirror it (from the MP3 that is already recorded on the main card).  This after-the-fact MP3 mirroring is extremely fast since the compression is already accomplished and the MP3 files are really small.

Nomad won't do a conversion of the main files to MP3s -- they have to have been recorded in real time alongside the main files.

Just thought I'd clarify a bit.

I haven't used my MP3 feature yet. Just so I get you straight John - if you are simultaneously recording MARF and MP3 so you can do the 'quick mirror' of the MP3 at days end, this slows down continous mirroring of WAV files to the mirror card ?

I haven't used my MP3 feature yet. Just so I get you straight John - if you are simultaneously recording MARF and MP3 so you can do the 'quick mirror' of the MP3 at days end, this slows down continous mirroring of WAV files to the mirror card ?

That's the only way that MP3 works on the Nomad. 

In order to use the MP3 function, you must first turn it on in the MODE menu and then format the main card so it reserves space for the MP3 files, the same way that MARF reserves card space for the main files.

(Sorry to morph this into a Nomad discussion.  I was just trying to clear up some misconceptions.)

That's the only way that MP3 works on the Nomad. 

In order to use the MP3 function, you must first turn it on in the MODE menu and then format the main card so it reserves space for the MP3 files, the same way that MARF reserves card space for the main files.

(Sorry to morph this into a Nomad discussion.  I was just trying to clear up some misconceptions.)

Thanks John.

Hmm. Not really ideal that method is it? Although in fairness the kinds of jobs where I need an MP3 for transcription don't tend to feature many tracks.

How are SD handling their MP3 stuff? (sorry for derailing again).

How are SD handling their MP3 stuff? (sorry for derailing again).

I don't know how it works on the 788T, but recording MP3 on the 744T limits you to a 2 track recording.

On the 664, you are able to record different file types to each media, so you could do a (still limited to a 2 track) MP3 on the SD card, and a WAV poly (up to 16 tracks if using the CL-6) on the CF, for example.