Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

664 is easy, select what card is to have mp3 and done, ready to deliver (but also embeded) when you cut. 552 can do same but 2ch with audio tc.

Correct. 552 can either do a 2ch mp3 or replace ch.1 or ch.2 with TC while the other channel is audio. I was hoping that Nomad could to something similar as I still have a few clients requesting TC on one if the audio tracks, but I guess this was difficult to reproduce.

Correct. 552 can either do a 2ch mp3 or replace ch.1 or ch.2 with TC while the other channel is audio. I was hoping that Nomad could to something similar as I still have a few clients requesting TC on one if the audio tracks, but I guess this was difficult to reproduce.

This was an awesome feature of the 552. As for the Nomad, MP3 seems like a fail. I'll just feed an H4N from my Nomad seems like less of a hassal.

This was an awesome feature of the 552. As for the Nomad, MP3 seems like a fail. I'll just feed an H4N from my Nomad seems like less of a hassal.

Another option could soon be that Zaxconvert might be able to select tracks from poly MARF and make a high speed MP3 with timecode in the header (ID3 tag), it's fairly high on the Zaxcom agenda I believe (this week?), and would be a very useful tool indeed.

The sort of thing Wave Agent might have been very usefully developed to do in the many years it's been available if it were not for it's glacially slow development.

Could save us lugging another recorder which can't put timecode in the header anyway, at the small cost of having to do a bit of easy work on a laptop after the event.........

How is a separate recorder less of a hassle? Yeah, wav files mirror a little slower, but so what? The whole process is automated and you have an accurate TC stamp, which you don't get using an h4n.

That's my point, so does the Nomad, and then you don't have to hit record twice, have external cabling, and you get accurate TC stamps in the mp3 metadata.

I still don't understand how a Zoon is easier.  I get that you can't just pull the card immediately after cutting, but unless you are rolling for an incredibly long time, it will be done in a couple minutes while you start to break down, and the mp3 mirroring goes really quick since the mp3s are already created.

Understood Wandering Ear...

Anyhow, Maxx doesn't have that feature (yet?)... so I guess the only way to have a mp3 file in my situation (not that I have been asked one yet) would be to record on an external recorder. Gotta be ready for anything!

Question: who needs a mp3 and why?

Im guessing it might be handy to a director for interview cutting...

Thanks in advance for the answers...

Franky

Hi

Just to follow up on my error message issue "MIR_Z2BWFMaud_ERR".

Howy Stark replied from Zaxcom in a timely fashion.  He suggested updating the software, as members here suggested as well.  So I updated from 1.07 to 1.13 and that solved the problem.

He also suggested that I get away from strange card brands and interestingly that I never use a card below 4GB in Maxx.  He seemed stunned that I use a 256MB card in one test!  He thought MB must have been a typo, but no.  In any case I am paraphrasing his advice here.

Thanks to all for good and timely help.  Now if I could just get Zaxconvert to work for me...

Hi

Thanks Franky - problem solved!

Didn't know they had moved past Zaxconvert 6.13 to 6.17.

I am liking Maxx!

Zaxconvert 6.18 Beta available on Zaxcom forum, will create mono MP3's with timecode in the header (ID3 tag) from any number of tracks or from selected tracks of Deva / Fusion / Nomad / Maxx files.

I just did a quick test with 2, 3, & 4 track Nomad recordings and it works with all tracks or selected tracks.

Brilliant as far as I am concerned, such a timesaver ......

That's my point, so does the Nomad, and then you don't have to hit record twice, have external cabling, and you get accurate TC stamps in the mp3 metadata.

I still don't understand how a Zoon is easier.  I get that you can't just pull the card immediately after cutting, but unless you are rolling for an incredibly long time, it will be done in a couple minutes while you start to break down, and the mp3 mirroring goes really quick since the mp3s are already created.

I thought John's suggestion was that when simultaneously recording several ISO tracks as well as writing the MP3 info to the MARF card, the result is that your 'everyday' WAV files take considerably longer to mirror, not 'a little'. I can't speak from personal experience on that (yet). Kind of a shame that the 664 is managing it smoothly, although I'm not sure how many cards it writes to at once.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if memory serves, in the ten minute Nomad recording tests I did, with MP3 engaged, continuous BWF mirroring of eight tracks took about seventeen or eighteen minutes -- the ten during the recording time followed by seven or eight minutes more to finish.  MP3 encoding takes a lot of DSP power.

Now, the good news: 

The majority of times that I have clients who need MP3 files to upload for transcriptions, it's for interviews.  These are typically two track recordings at most (yes, I have a lot of clients who want belt and suspenders, i.e. a boom and lav split) and with only two tracks recording and mirroring, the times are fine -- not much lag there.  So, for these gigs, the MP3 function works well.  Mirroring the MP3 files is extremely fast since they're already created and small in size.

I thought John's suggestion was that when simultaneously recording several ISO tracks as well as writing the MP3 info to the MARF card, the result is that your 'everyday' WAV files take considerably longer to mirror, not 'a little'. I can't speak from personal experience on that (yet). Kind of a shame that the 664 is managing it smoothly, although I'm not sure how many cards it writes to at once.

I supposed the difference between a little, and significant is in the eyes of the beholder. To me, the extra time is a little, and not a problem for me. For some people it may seem significant.

My main point is not to undermine John's well formed opinions, but is more of a reaction to the concept that mp3 on a nomad is a fail because there is a minor trade off to using it. It seems that certain technical facts, that need to be known and understood for proper operation end up turning into exaggerated reputations that end up in the realm of "it doesn't work" when the reality is we need know and understand how our equipment works so we can work within it's limitations. Either way, it works AS EXPECTED if you know what to expect.

We will soon release a new version of MAXX software that will allow post and pre fader ISO track recording in 6 track versions of MAXX.

Glenn

Thank you Glenn!

Can the people who asked for it please explain why they would need post fader isos? Just curious...

Glenn: is the neverclip feature disabled in a post fader iso?

Thanks,

Franky

I'm confused. In the excerpt from the manual Jim posted, it clearly states that if the hpf option is engaged, it will switch on a hardware HPF and then the frequency chooses an additional software cut, does it not? So if HPF is not active, it infers there will be no hardware cut, right? 

So, is this just a misprint and the HPF is always engaged at 50hz with no option to defeat? Or is there a 50hz hpf on the input preamps and then when you engage the HPF in the options an additional hardware HPF is engaged at, say, 80hz and then you can choose the frequency of the software HPF beyond that.....

This is all very confusing. 

I think there is some confusion here.

Both Maxx and Nomad have both a hardware filter as well as a variable software filter. The variable filter, when engaged, adjusts between 40 and 230Hz in 10Hz steps.

Without any filter the cut is actually at 50Hz - not the 80 that Glenn incorrectly posted earlier.

By the way I was curious so I tested my cooper CS-104 cut at 70Hz.

I'm mixing myself up (hardly the first time). Here's a highlighted excerpt from Page 41 of the Maxx manual (available here: http://www.zaxcom.com/instruction-manuals ):

attachicon.gifMAXX_MANUAL_P41.png

So the hardware cut is at 80Hz, right? And the HPF can be defeated (ie- turned OFF) so there's no cut at all? And there's "a software filter that is adjustable between 40Hz to 230Hz"?

Just so I'm clear, is all that currently implemented, or not yet implemented in MAXX? 

Thanks.

PS- Glenn, Howy, Jack, et al: no need to reply tonight or even this weekend. I can wait :-)

I'm confused. In the excerpt from the manual Jim posted, it clearly states that if the hpf option is engaged, it will switch on a hardware HPF and then the frequency chooses an additional software cut, does it not? So if HPF is not active, it infers there will be no hardware cut, right?

So, is this just a misprint and the HPF is always engaged at 50hz with no option to defeat? Or is there a 50hz hpf on the input preamps and then when you engage the HPF in the options an additional hardware HPF is engaged at, say, 80hz and then you can choose the frequency of the software HPF beyond that.....

And why would you need a software cut at 40hz if the the fixed hardware hpf is set at 50hz....?

This is all very confusing. 

Can't answer the first bit empirically, but you might want a dual low cut on or around the same frequency to increase the filter slope.

I'm going to guess that it's a hardware (fixed) low cut at 50Hz, and then a switchable low cut in software. Glenn said you could ask to have the pre go down to 20hz on special request, but it would be a 'semi-custom' build, by the looks.