Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

I posted in the Facebook group but I'll elaborate here:

I'm so happy with the switch and few hiccups as an early adopter. The battery life is awesome (currently getting 8+ hours on an NP-1) and the weight saved from my previous rig is making my back and shoulders happy. I've said it before elsewhere: Sound Devices makes great gear, but at this price point currently they are behind. And as someone often employed to mix and boom, NeverClip has saved me some stress.

I'm very interested in the Maxx. After reading the manual and also using the nomad I've found a few items that seem like obvious fixes for ease of use. Off the top of my head my suggestions would be:

- Channel setup selection should optionally follow the fader selection the same way "auto-trim" does. The main transport buttons are already used too many times. The more continuity there is between procedures the better for quick operation.

- Goofy things like "turn off mirroring before writing sound report" should be eliminated if possible. These procedures should be automated and invisible to the user.

- A way to calibrate and link trims for stereo operation, incorporating a stereo mode for auto-trim maybe.

- customizable homesceen setup.

- setup memory naming

- automatic metadata update to the mirror card. Otherwise it's not really a mirror if you must micromanage it.

- A take list that you can engage playback from.

- during playback the recorded time code should be shown automatically and then switch back to your default after stopping.

- when in ENG mode perhaps the bus button could be used in conjunction with the fader sensing selection to simply cycle through LCR for the selected channel rather than the current method of multiple button pushing and knob rotating. Then you could pan easily with one hand. If you needed to access the bus routing menu you could just hold the button.

- In general, I think the automatic fader selection is such a useful and intuitive asset I don't know why it's only used for auto-trim.

- Menu redundancy. I may be alone here but I initially found the fragmented menu structure of the nomad confusing. I would like to see ALL menus and parameters nested in the main menu even if they are accessible via other buttons or button combinations.

Anyway, my 2 cents as a mixer who is considering the Maxx..

Other thoughts...

This is the first Zaxcom recorder that I know of that can only record to one media destination. Is Zaxcom really that confident about MARF and also the integrity of CF cards? I guess the question is rhetorical since obviously they made the unit that way but as a lay person it's a concern.

Why will alkaline batteries explode in the battery compartment if used? This seems a little strange.

Is there an accessory available that allows full size Xlr inputs to be used in a bag without them getting smashed? I sort of remember hearing this mentioned during the preproduction buzz phase but in the photos I only see little rubber bumpers that will not provide any extra clearance.

Thanks,

Dh

" "turn off mirroring before writing sound report" should be eliminated if possible. "

well, if they cannot be done simultaneously, the operator needs to be informed that a choice is necessary.

I agree but my suggestion is that the software should automatically stop mirroring for a moment if necessary and then restart it when the sound report has been written.

Just a quick question.  I've been using MAXX out if the field for a bit now, however, coming up I'm going to be doing more studio based work and I won't need battery power here.  

Anybody have a recommendation for a good hirose a/c adapter or other solution for hard line power?

Thanks!

Just a quick question.  I've been using MAXX out if the field for a bit now, however, coming up I'm going to be doing more studio based work and I won't need battery power here.  

Anybody have a recommendation for a good hirose a/c adapter or other solution for hard line power?

Thanks!

SD make a very good 45w one to hirose - XL-WPH3

I am realy struggling with my sennheiser 2000 wireless sets and maxx  rf, spray I suppose. My third wireless lectro 110 is completly useless now. With my sd 302, or cooper 104 the range was about 100 meters or 300 feet for you, what is fine for me to feel confident, its now 20 or 30 meters with the senn s and 10 with the lectro. Senny s are in the b range  us version {100} Mw tx, lectro block 30.

Was at the IBC last week and looked at the wisycom mcr 42 wich should be compatible with the senny s tx, so set me back at around 3000 euro for 2 channel good receiver, [ hopefully ] in combination with the senn tx. 

I am sold on Maxx so there s no way back, but looking for the right route to go for new wireless. lectro srb or wisycom?

Anyone can tell me the expected range with lectro srb and nomad or maxx? Don t tell me 411, i want to go the light route, thats why i bought  maxx.

best Ton

Zaxcom has a power circuit modification for Maxx. This is a field serviceable mod that can be done at the dealer, some users can even do on their own.

It is not urgent to get it done right a way but Zaxcom is recommending that you should have it done at some point. Any Maxx owners who got their unit before Sep 16 should contact their dealer regarding this.