Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Just thought I'd swing by for a quick update.  3 production days this week.  MAXX worked great.  Jammed timecode on the Red Epic, syncs up just fine in post.  Totally agree on these preamps.  Sounds great.

I'm now using two 64GB Transcend compact flash cards which work just fine.

Next mission for this particular kit is wireless timecode sync.  That's next weeks project.

i'm using the digital mic on AES1&2 now, i think in the menu there are two separate options for both AES12 and AES34 's AES42 power on/off. 

the digital break out cable i made is

Cable 1 (ch1&2) on digital mic,

Cable 2(ch3&4) on one QRX100,

Cable 3 for the DIGITAL LINK IN, so the Maxx can link to any other mixer/recorder that has digital output.  

And Cable 4 for a digital output that i may want to use with 900CL which takes digital input,( ONLY IF i want to do a 6 ISO tracks in Maxx,then two output mix track can be recorded on the 900CL(So the mp3 transcription can be done at the same time backup the mirror folder at the end of day).  It's a bit over killed by putting two TX in the bag,so i imagine the IFB200 will be the best pal for Maxx in the future.

Why not just put qrx100qifb in the bag?

Thought about it, still thinking about.  Might be the route I go.  Timecode Buddy might be a "more fun" solution with a few added benefits.  A simpler solution is to use the transmitters and receivers I have to send signal from MAXX to camera(s) and slate.  Deciding on the workflow right now.

Tc buddy seams like extra gadget in your bag. Maxx sends TC trough the stereo hop. No need for zaxnet ifb.

the way I have it setup is qrx100qifb for wireless TC and ifb audio with serial connection to other qrx100s. Every receiver can change the gain of the corresponding TX. Every time you change frequency on the qrx100 the corresponding TX changes automatically.

combined with the erx100tcs I have ifb for confidence monitoring and lockit boxes

I just made a suggestion to the TCB team and MovieSlate team, i hope in the next version of both their software that when i push the REC button in the MovieSlate Sound Dept page, it will send out a REC signal to the TCB Wifi Master, then Wifi Master start to OUTPUT tc signal through it TC output connector, when i push the STOP in my MovieSlate, the Wifi Master will be STOP sending the TC signal. It's not hard to done this only if as long as they want to ( of course if many us want to)

this wise we can use any recorder that has TC input with MovieSlate and TCB wifi master to setup an Auto-Load function,e.g.after STOP the recording on our phones we can directly enter metadata into it instead of pushing the Maxx's STOP button,then pushing QIFB's STOP button then pushing the STOP button on smartphone. 

If they could done this,i'm very happy to put the wifi master in any of my bags/carts.

(current Maxx's software does NOT have zax signal YET,so after you let Maxx/Nomad to record,you will still need to push the REC button on the QIFB's menu too) 

ps:Zaxcom had such a great chance to achieve an IOS/Android app market as they are one of the first group combining the Wifi into sound gear,  how many things can be easily/faster done by an App these days. But they don't want to. A BIG SIGH !!!

Nomad and MAXX do not have wifi capability. Nomad has Zaxnet and that is very different from wifi. They use the same RF band at 2.4 gig but that is where any similarity ends.

Glenn

It'd be a big re-write, but have you ever considered modifying zaxnet to be a mesh network that distributes TC, control signals, and audio rather than the 'hijacked TC and UB' one-directional transmission it is today? Or would that require hardware changes to your TC chips?

Nomad and MAXX do not have wifi capability. Nomad has Zaxnet and that is very different from wifi. They use the same RF band at 2.4 gig but that is where any similarity ends.

Glenn

On deva, push the REC button will load IFB100 into REC as well. That's just a tc cable connection. That's the tc signal thing I'm talking about.

I want this feature on Maxx and Nomad as well. It's not hard but it's been so long not done.

It'd be a big re-write, but have you ever considered modifying zaxnet to be a mesh network that distributes TC, control signals, and audio rather than the 'hijacked TC and UB' one-directional transmission it is today? Or would that require hardware changes to your TC chips?

Exactly. +2013

On deva, push the REC button will load IFB100 into REC as well. That's just a tc cable connection. That's the tc signal thing I'm talking about.

I want this feature on Maxx and Nomad as well. It's not hard but it's been so long not done.

+1 I want to be able to roll my transmitters using the ifb option on my QRX.

I just wish the optional upgrade was for four line-level analog inputs instead of AES.

Yes, I imagine that they could route the return in as an extra analogue in, which would be very useful. But I am guessing that it is a sales decision as opposed to a technical one, since they probably don't want to cannibalise sales of the Nomad too much. Shame, as I think if they loaded up Maxx with this plus Zaxnet, then overall sales would rocket, as opposed to chipping away at other models.  Everyone's a winner then.

I feel changing the gain over QIFB is faster than making the changes on Nomad.

As I mentioned before, Maxx can't load QIFB into Rec yet so have to get into Extended IFB menu to load unit rec or stop then back to the main menu make gain changes. (If you don't want to roll TRX all the time )

Current software v1.25, 900CL does NOT support gain control on TX yet. Another BIG ODD decision from Zaxcom plus 900CL can't even hold its tc after power off.

I really wish they can FINISH one product then go into develop another rather than having such a long line of products that needs improving. Poor Howy.

Only use IFB100 through deva&mix8, that's the fastest way.

I really wish they can FINISH one product then go into develop another rather than having such a long line of products that needs improving. Poor Howy.

Yeah, I feel for the amount of work Howie has. I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes at Zaxcom, but more people helping with the software code and cutting down the time it takes to fix/improve software would be awesome.

I honestly feel that the major downfall with Zax, in general, is that they rush products into availability before they are fully completed just to "beat the competition". It has become a bit of a running joke regarding promised (and unrealized) features. Somehow (possibly through a network of "endorsements") they have drummed up a devout following who see them as completely infallible.

I truly respect some of Zaxcoms product line, but find the business practices to be a bit shady.

God, I sound like "R" here

I dont do the kind of gigs that you guys do so i ordered a Maxx with 6 channels and for me this fits the bill. Im very happy with my purchase and had 2 days of production last week (1 commercial and 1 run and gun). The little Maxx performed very well. What is important for me is the isos. I usually do the post on the projects i work on and this gives me the flexibility i need. I also like the never clip feature and the mic pres :)

The only thing that bugs me is that the Erx2 are not compatible with the optional tx. I would of gladly bought a bunch of them to send scratch sound to camera(s) and to replace Comteks as listening devices for director, script, clients...

My 0.02$

Franky