Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Jack, 

If you got both the Maxx and the Nomad by your side I should love to see a picture or two with a side by side size comparison!

F. 

Somebody posted a picture of a Maxx and a Nomad from one of the Maxx demos. 

Jon

I believe that Zaxcom is close to begin to ship so official beta testing is wrapping up.

Also if you were thinking about a Maxx I would contact your dealer for a demo because this machine is pretty bad ass. I'm looking foward to building a super tiny lightweight bag with it. Just trying to figure out a bag that would work.

It looks like the Petrol PS607 bag should work, but might require some consideration for a battery that fits in the bag. That's what I've use for a 302. There is a Kata Koala bag that's a bit bigger and very soft, but I used it with a 302 when I velcro'd the two RXs to the 302 and made it one solid brick of audio gear (overcoming the lack of bag structure). A Maxx with two QRX100Q or SRb RXs velcro'd to it would be an amazing little block of audio equipment.

Maybe a Kortwich would be in order for the smallest and lightest bag option. 

Mmm... You " shure" wish uh ? Funny guy you, hahaha

No comment about the much dorkier "2.66 dozen"? I feel a sad.

Maybe a bag designed for a SD302 would work with Maxx?

302: 47 mm x 214 mm x 114 mm (H x W x D), 1.8" x 8.4" x 4.5"

Maxx: 7.5" x 5.25" x 2" Or: 190mm x 133mm x 50mm

Yeah but I copy pasted from the 33, not the 32. :o)

You just made me realize the 302 is almost 2 inches thick... Yeah, that bag would probably fit (but keep in mînd the connectors and "legs" underneath the mixer. Unless the measures Eric gave us included them ?)

Yeah but I copy pasted from the 33, not the 32. :o)

You just made me realize the 302 is almost 2 inches thick... Yeah, that bag would probably fit (but keep in mînd the connectors and "legs" underneath the mixer. Unless the measures Eric gave us included them ?)

IIRC, when the Maxx has the foot/base on it, it is the same height as the Nomad.

Jack, it would be cool if Zaxcom would ship the Maxx with some sort of little rubber nipple to cover the SMA antenna connector. I dont plan on using any built in transmitter, Especially since I have plenty of things like that already, and I wouldnt like to see that connector get dirty, or scrape my fingers when operating the machine. Just a thought :D

How fast does it turn on? I will not be using any sort of external battery and with my current SD Mix-pre set-up, I just turn it off in between takes because it can turn on so fast. I'm hoping Maxx will do the same. Regardless, I'm getting one.

I probably should not get involved in this since I do not use a Nomad or a Sound Devices rcorder, but my general feeling about ANY of the recording devices we use (certainly since we have all made the transition to file based recording) is that the best practice is to NOT power down these recorders once they are booted up and ready for work. I don't care how fast any particular machine boots up, I think it is best to keep it powered up (unless you're breaking for lunch or travel or something and will be having an extended period of time where the machine will not be used).

[Jeff Wexler]

...the best practice is to NOT power down these recorders once they are booted up and ready for work.

That would be my thinking as well.

Just as a counterpoint, the dealer supplied my wife with a loaner car recently that was configured to turn off automatically whenever it was stopped for more than a few moments. One would pull up to a light and the car would expire right at the intersection. When the light turned green and one pressed the accelerator, the car started immediately and one could resume one's travels. That could be nerve wracking too but it seemed to function seamlessly.

Maybe the newest technology will accommodate these conservation methods but I"d want a bunch of trial runs before I put my full faith in it.

David

[Jeff Wexler]

...the best practice is to NOT power down these recorders once they are booted up and ready for work.

That would be my thinking as well.

Just as a counterpoint, the dealer supplied my wife with a loaner car recently that was configured to turn off automatically whenever it was stopped for more than a few moments. One would pull up to a light and the car would expire right at the intersection. When the light turned green and one pressed the accelerator, the car started immediately and one could resume one's travels. That could be nerve wracking too but it seemed to function seamlessly.

Maybe the newest technology will accommodate these conservation methods but I"d want a bunch of trial runs before I put my full faith in it.

David

Side note on those cars:

I was temped to buy one (it was a hybrid Honda) a few years ago but it had that auto turn off feature.  Thank heavens I test drove it in the summer and found out that when the car turns off, so does the AC.  You would cook at the intersections. A deal breaker.

I have had 2 Prius cars and both had the feature that the gasoline engine would turn off when the car was stopped (at an intersection, for example). When you step on the accelerator pedal (I have stopped calling it the gas pedal) the car would accelerate quickly and normally (on electric) and the gas engine would come back on whenever it was needed (based on parameters established by the hybrid powertrain management). All other services, including the air conditioning, continue to operate without any change. Now, regarding the Honda hybrid cars, they implement hybrid powertrain technology differently than Toyota (Prius). This might explain Mirror's dissatisfaction with the Honda hybrid. In my opinion, the way Toyota does it is far better than the way Honda has been doing their hybrids --- the auto turn off works nicely, the air conditioning system runs entirely on electricity, powertrain management and balance, all of this results in my getting consistently 48 to 52 miles per gallon. I'm a happy camper.

I probably should not get involved in this since I do not use a Nomad or a Sound Devices rcorder, but my general feeling about ANY of the recording devices we use (certainly since we have all made the transition to file based recording) is that the best practice is to NOT power down these recorders once they are booted up and ready for work. I don't care how fast any particular machine boots up, I think it is best to keep it powered up (unless you're breaking for lunch or travel or something and will be having an extended period of time where the machine will not be used).

BDS it is then, thanks.

I think maybe johnpaul finds himself on those sorts of jobs where something might come up, even on a lunch break, where he would have to work right away. That's the "just in case" (probably not related to my comment about staying powered up for other reasons).