Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Andy

All functions are single button operations.

The only thing on the entire machine that requires two buttons being pressed at the same time is going into the headphone setup matrix. But even that can be done with one hand since the two buttons are the headphone and the menu button - which are right next to each other.

Thanks Glenn, sounds promising. In the manual I gather you have to be in an ENG setting, then press 'BUS', then scroll the menu button to the channel in question, then click it to toggle through 'L,C,R,-'

I tend to do a great deal of quick panning so i'm wondering if I will keep needing to press the bus button or will it remain in a panning-enabled state after pressing once?

I'd be all new to Zax so it would take a lot of getting used to I imagine. Will certainly need to play with one first.

Thanks Glenn, sounds promising. In the manual I gather you have to be in an ENG setting, then press 'BUS', then scroll the menu button to the channel in question, then click it to toggle through 'L,C,R,-'

I tend to do a great deal of quick panning so i'm wondering if I will keep needing to press the bus button or will it remain in a panning-enabled state after pressing once?

Thats correct. From my brief playing with Maxx it remains in Pan mode until you hit the back button/HP knob, just like the nomad. The draw back is you cant trim or go into menus whilst in Pan mode. They are not the quickest machines in regards to panning. You do get used to their way of panning but I don't believe it is as efficient as a pan knob. 

Perhaps other Nomad/Maxx users can chime in regarding the pan functionality - but I personally don't find it to be an issue. I takes a bit of time to get use to but after that all is good.

All machine are different and have pluses and minuses and are layed out differently.

For example I personally don't like the panning in the 664, for me my fingers are way to fat to successfully pop up the pan knob and pan the input without bumping the fader. But for others this may not be an issue.

The pan on the 664 is far easier and faster to work with (even with my big hands) compared to Nomad. I can't say the same for the gain and HP pots of the 664 though. I use "unshifted" with my nomad so I can just press certain functions to start immediately instead of holding and waiting. This however causes other functions to become 2 hand work a rounds like using the BUS menu for panning. I'd like the BUS button to act as it does in shifted mode for unshifted.

Panning is unfortunately not fun in nomad. I wish I had the option to disable the "P" in the panning cycle. I end up sending a momentary prefade signal when wanting to pan. I use the bus panning page because the other option, getting out of my home screen is even more of a hassle. Maybe if I could choose to eliminate some screens... Anyway panning not fun. unfortunate.