SD 664 Bag?

Dean Gudmundson

Hey Gentlemen,

Just took delivery on a 664. Now kitting up. Curious who's happy and who's not with the bag you purchased to house this bad boy and why?

Background: Mostly cart guy, commercials. However, to keep 664 off the shelve I may have to shoulder 664 and at least 4 radios. Jump from 744T/442 Petrol.

Appreciate your comments and insight. South Florida no audio houses, would be nice to shop, kick the tires and check under the hood before I buy blindly via 'pretty' jpgs. Have closet full of internet mistakes I'm too lazy to return.

Constant lurker.

Best,

Dean Gudmundson

South Florida

I have looked at bags by Prota Brace and Sound Devices, and have used Petrol's bag they designed for the 664.

In my opinion, Petrol's bag is the best deign. It is not perfect, but, for how I work, it is the best.

I like pouches and pockets for NP-1 cups, mole skin, batteries, etc. The way I am designing my bag considers the CL-6, and 8 wireless and a boom. For me, the Petrol bag is the way to go. If spaces for little problem solvers are less important to you, maybe the Porta Brace bag is the right solution.

I've got the petrol and was thinking how much I don't like it today running around on a doc. I think it fairs better with cl6 and more than a few wireless mounted, otherwise it is very floppy with just a Sr or a 411. And it is by no means lighter than the pegz2, so I'm not sure why they added ultra-lightweight to the description.

But I'll stop there because their are over 50 post about this topic in other threads.

If you are really going to wear the 664 in earnest, with lotsa RX etc and boom all day long then the Kortwich looks good to me.  If you are not going to be wearing it so much as setting it on a cart or a table then something like the Portabrace AOs (w/ stiff sides) protects the rig better, I think.

philp

And there's also a bunch of non-gentlemen here :)

I can say that the camrade bag that SD endorses really is bad. Sure, it's stiff and sturdy, but cables need to be run outside of the bag into some small pockets, and there are like four d-rings on the entire bag!!!! So I don't see how to even wear it on a harness. And if you think the 664 is big, wait till you see it in this bag.

I'm a lot happier than I thought I would be with my Petrol 617, I bought it thinking it would put me on until I found/made something better, but it's actually really usable, with the 664, 3 or 4 411As and NP1 powering, it keeps it's shape, isn't too heavy and has plenty of space for bits and bobs.

look at http://www.ktsystems.co.uk

brilliant UK designer - well balanced, helpful, can custom change pretty much anything, well balanced, hard wearing, designed from customer feedback not by officebots...

they do make a brilliant 664/cl6 bag though it's not listed on the site  - sure they'll send details if you approach them

look at http://www.ktsystems.co.uk

brilliant UK designer - well balanced, helpful, can custom change pretty much anything, well balanced, hard wearing, designed from customer feedback not by officebots...

they do make a brilliant 664/cl6 bag though it's not listed on the site  - sure they'll send details if you approach them

What's with the KTS website --- it's awful! All sorts of cheesy animation from the 1990's and no matter what you click on I was not able to find a single image of a bag anywhere. I would love to see at least ONE of their bags somewhere on the site.

I also use the Petrol 617. I like the elastic bands for keeping wireless secure.

I like the different compartments for holding the different things we all use to

hide mics. The only thing that bothers me about the bag, which others mention,

is it doesn't really stand up when you set it down. It tends to rock rather than

stay flat.

I tried a portabrace and found it didn't work for me. I just worked on a show with

a guy who had a custom made Kortwich bag. He really loved it and I thought it looked

really well designed. 

Regarding the PS617, make sure you are using the black Velcro straps on the left and right sides around the 664 posts. Keeps the bag more stable. When I initially set it up, didn't notice them and everything flopped all over the place.

I wish Petrol would include comprehensive explanations of bag features.

What's with the KTS website --- it's awful! All sorts of cheesy animation from the 1990's and no matter what you click on I was not able to find a single image of a bag anywhere. I would love to see at least ONE of their bags somewhere on the site.

Jeff, the KTS website relies heavily on Java. So Java not enabled = almost no content.

Best regards,

Jim

And there's also a bunch of non-gentlemen here :)

I can say that the camrade bag that SD endorses really is bad. Sure, it's stiff and sturdy, but cables need to be run outside of the bag into some small pockets, and there are like four d-rings on the entire bag!!!! So I don't see how to even wear it on a harness. And if you think the 664 is big, wait till you see it in this bag.

I don't know why Ccmrade even bothers.  Their 552/442 etc. bags are awful as well.  Put it on a harness and the mixer is buried in your stomach, and the storage and cabling isn't thought out well at all.

" Curious who's happy and who's not with the bag you purchased to house this bad boy and why? "

while the site search is wonky, Google search with jwsoundgroup.net as your first term, and you will find that this has been discussed on an ongoing basis since before the units were available.

I don't know why Ccmrade even bothers. Their 552/442 etc. bags are awful as well. Put it on a harness and the mixer is buried in your stomach, and the storage and cabling isn't thought out well at all. The big question is why SD endorses them.

Maybe Matt, Jon or any other SD members here on the board can give an explanation :)

Agreed - they do themselves NO favours - indeed possibly harm their rep with a site like this - however all I can tell you is their products and customer support is fantastic. I've owned Portabrace and Petrol in the past - and these KTS products are certainly, IMO, on par in terms of build, but many of them are built specifically to a certain mixer - not just, for example, a generic Petrol 602 etc....

Jeff, I visited KT Sytems while i was in UK. They are a BUSY bunch, and not too much of a bunch either... 

I too have lamented about the website, but also at times Ian Fraser's unavailability even on email! 

But they are a great set of people, and do a wonderful job with anything you want them to. 

Ian Fraser

MD

KT Systems (UK) Ltd

Tel: 02380 270981

ian@ktsystems.co.uk

-vin

Another thing about the Camrade 664 bag that really blew my mind; open pouches! That's what I really like about petrol and portabrace, that the pouches for bits and bobs are sealable. The camrade bag has open pouches and a lousy rain protector, so anything you'd put in the pouches would fall out if you lay the bag down... Brilliant. Not really

Hey Guys,

Appreciate everyone who chimed in giving their opinions on bag in battle.

Looks like I'm going to go Petrol for 664. I have been using Petrol bag now for 744T and 442 for a few years and have been happy with it.

Beauty of JW forum. Good job Jeff.

Best,

Dean Gudmundson

South Florida