Hidden Camera show - need small recorder, tie mic, wireless transmitter all on actor

DeafDave

Hi

Im wondering if any of you experts might have some suggestions on this?

Im trying to put together an audio system for a hidden camera show.

Ideally the actor, who sets people up for a comedy scenario, will need to wear a lav mic which would plug into a small unit which can record the mic but also transmit the audio wirelessly to the director while the gag is happening so they can follow the audio and whats happening.

Ideally this would just involve one unit which can be hidden on the person but Im not sure what that unit is!?

I thought Zaxcom made a wireless transmitter that recorded audio too but Im only finding the zfr100/200/300 which dont transmit wirelessly.

A more simple option would be to use something like a Zoom and use a DPA 4071 plugged into the microdot to xlr phantom adapter and just record and not transmit audio wirelessly

It would be great to find a unit that would take a microdot input from a dpa mic, record the mic with good limiters and transmit it wirelessly

After writing this Im thinking that it might be more realistic if the actor was wearing a shoulder bag, then a recorder and transmitter could easily be held and the mic could be pointing out of the bag disguised and not hidden under the actors clothes

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

DeafDave

Zaxcom mini recorders might be what your after?

I think he was saying they want wireless transmission also. Why not use a Zaxcom bodypack wireless transmitter and a receiver hooked up to any recorder you want. You would then have wireless monitor for the director, a recording on a recorder (off camera) like maybe a Zoom recorder, AND you will have a recording locally, on the actor, on the Zaxcom transmitter in case you have RF problems. All of the Zaxcom transmitters record.

Zaxcom mini recorder would be better than a zoom if you just want to record straight to it. Otherwise a lectrosonics sm is small and with a countryman b6 lav the rig can be hidden very well, a couple plants and you've got some pretty good coverage oh and the sound mixer would gladly add ifbs for the director to listen to ;)

If your really adamant on not hiring a proper sound mixer to do a hidden cam show where dialogue is important... If you have some budget a Zaxcom qrxQifb system hopped on cam can work and you can get an erx for the director to listen to. Or you can do the same with a lectro SRB hopped to cam and the director can listen to it from the cam headphones if accessable.

I would go for the Zaxcom TRX900LT - it a recording transmitter.

The LT is Zaxcoms smallest transmitter so it would be easier to hide plus you have Zaxnet remote control. Which would allow you to change frequency, start and stop it recording and change its output power level without having to mess with the transmitter on talent. 

I think he was saying they want wireless transmission also. Why not use a Zaxcom bodypack wireless transmitter and a receiver hooked up to any recorder you want. You would then have wireless monitor for the director, a recording on a recorder (off camera) like maybe a Zoom recorder, AND you will have a recording locally, on the actor, on the Zaxcom transmitter in case you have RF problems. All of the Zaxcom transmitters record.

+1

Btw Sorry for the triple post, I think my phone was going in and out of services on the train into work.

Hi, and welcome...

" I thought Zaxcom made a wireless transmitter that recorded audio too but Im only finding the zfr100/200/300 which dont transmit wirelessly. "

all of their (current) TX's also record, and most even  have a 2.4 GHz short range confidence monitor, which is also included in the non transmitting miniature recorders...

Are you a sound person ?

if not, you should hire one...

either way, you really have some homework to catch up on...