Skywire Production?

jwill

The following is copied and pasted from lectros Facebook page:

Check it out! Nik Wallenda will be tightrope walking over the Grand Canyon, live on the Discovery Channel this Sun

day the 23rd!

According to Kevin Parrish, Chief RF Engineer on the project: "The main communications link with Nik Wallenda is a Lectro IFB on block 944 coupled with a set of SMQV-25 body-packs between Nik and his father Terri Troffer, who acts as the safety officer and provides real time observations and guidance.

"The full duplex Lectro wireless combination is a vital safety and live broadcast production element as Nik walks the wire 1500' above The Grand Canyon."

I was also interested in the wireless video system. It looked like a camera worn around the neck, but with with no visible antenna and solid range throughout the walk.

The whole shoot had great production value - it was just a shame they milked a 2 hour build up for a 20m walk.

I'd bet there were receivers on each side

Either way, pretty good production value.

Robert

I was thinking the same thing. It was clear unobstructed line of sight. I don't think the range was difficult to achieve. I have had a skydiver mic'd with SMDa at 100mW on a 10,000 ft helicopter jump. The minute the doors opened, I was able to get range from the ground on my Venue with Sharkfins. In the Case of Skywire, receivers on both sides and transmitter set at 250mW would certainly capture the whole walk IMO.

Neil Patrick Harris Tweets (6/24/13):

“Proud of Nik Wallenda for his epic high wire walk. Less proud of agreeing to drink a shot every time he said ‘Jesus’. I can’t feel my face. Apparently this is why there isn't a rich tradition of Jewish wire walkers.”