Rycote Windshield Kit for MKH8040/MKH30 M/S Configuration

awe

Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for quite a while and have even bought gear from a member, but this is my first post. Here goes!

I have an MKH8040 and a MKH30 that I want to use in an M/S configuration. I'd like to get a Rycote stereo windshield kit for it but I'm a bit lost as to which. I'm familiar with their modular windshield kits for single mono mics, but have never worked with their stereo kits. The Rycote website is not too helpful, as my configuration is not listed in their guide (http://www.rycote.com/images/uploads/compatibility_charts/Stereo_Microphone_List-October_2010.pdf). I'll probably stop by Trew Audio in the next couple of days, but in the meantime I was wondering if anybody has experience with this particular combo -- is there a way to make it work with a Rycote stereo kit?

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks guys. Bummer, I was hoping it might fit into an AD. Oh well. I'm more concerned with the lyres, though; since the two mics have different diameters I'd need a stereo suspension with two different diameters. Does Rycote make those?

@soundslikejustin: That looks great. How are you liking the mics?

I haven't had much chance to play with them in this M/S setup...but they sounded very nice in the experiments that I've done. Lots of low end though, best on a stand.

In terms of Rycote fittings, buy the Lyres to suit the MKH30, and then buy an universal 'back to back' clip to hold the MKH8040 on top.

Alex, I ran this exact setup for a while. The back-to-back lyres provided with the kit will work perfectly.

Not too sure if these facebook pics will link correctly...I'll give it a shot...

Here's the MKH8040/30 setup I ran. Not the closest pic but the only one I could find. One single back-to-back lyre is all you need since the 8040 is so light.

540641_10151147532102598_382021052_n.jpg

Here's a closer one, this time with an mkh8060 mid. Still, one single back-to-back lyre does the job.

526087_10151147531947598_1083985687_n.jp

• 1 month later...

@Jaymz, does the MKH8060 fit in the AE kit or are you using the AG kit?

Thanks

Angel

I was using an AG kit back then, pretty sure that's the requirement with a 60/8060 as M. I currently use the Rycote ORTF kit with 2 x 8040's for all my stereo needs. Though I've recently been experimenting with double MS for a dubstage here.

198754_10151955549642598_1051777832_n.jp

My plan right from the beginning was to get this setup as small as possible and getting everything into a Rycote WS1 was  perfect for what i wanted.  Got some great help From both Audio Services and Trew Audio in Toronto to make this happen.  Obviously with a smaller windshield there is less room inside but Im never going to crazy with swinging it around.  The XLR Mod was done at Audio Services.

• 5 months later...

Hi Justin,

I'm in the process to find a solution for my MKH30/8040 ms rig, so could I ask you what does your mod consist? On the Rode website I was able to find only one suspension system and it looks longer than the one you have, that looks very compact.

Thanks and sorry for resurrecting this topic.

vale.

I have this exact setup. I modified a RODE Blimp to fit.

269370_559765870703284_71392821_n.jpg

Hi Justin,

I'm in the process to find a solution for my MKH30/8040 ms rig, so could I ask you what does your mod consist? On the Rode website I was able to find only one suspension system and it looks longer than the one you have, that looks very compact.

Thanks and sorry for resurrecting this topic.

vale.

Yes, the Rode Blimp only comes in one size, which is how I bought it. I then took a pair of scissors, scalpel, and a hacksaw to it to get it to the size it is now...

Here are the pictures of my setup. i changed a few things around from the original ones that i posted earlier. Changed back to Black Lyers (1 MKH at the back & 1 Universal at the front) to push everything back abit. Does not sway so much at the front now. Also removed the back clip holding the 8000 microphone to the 30. did that after i took the picture.

Only other thing id like to do would be to go binder straight to the sennheiser MZX connector to make things more sleek.

So far this is working well.

Added a 4th pic of the inside

post-2401-0-84975600-1391453398_thumb.jp

post-2401-0-20737000-1391453442_thumb.jp

post-2401-0-76614300-1391453494_thumb.jp

post-2401-0-32348500-1391811746_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the Rode Blimp only comes in one size, which is how I bought it. I then took a pair of scissors, scalpel, and a hacksaw to it to get it to the size it is now...

And did you modify the windjammer too, to match the new reduced size?

Very good work anyway, I'm planning to make the same.

Thanks, v.