*Booked* LA Gig - Sound Mixer Needed, 6-27-2013

I need help filling a smaller sound gig since I am out of the state. Here are the specs:

Location is LA Valley (Sepulveda Dam). Concept is basically: teams of people travel the US in 18 wheeler trucks selling things. Whoever sells the most stuff and makes the most money wins $1m. For the Sizzle reel, we've got 6 trucks - want to shoot them driving around (ramped, dramatic shots) the dam area + ominous hero shots of the contestants standing in front of them. Plus, some simple SOTs (standard boastful things like, "there's no way I'm going to lose / I'm the best salesman on the planet." Plan to have two crews shooting Epic cameras - one handheld & sticks - the other Jib. 

Location for most of the day will be at the Sepulveda Dam (pics below) + we've scouted another location near Magic Mountain for the driving shots (via chase car and loaded w/ Go Pros). Might need audio for the driving parts. 

-----

They told me 3 people max on camera at a time - to me it sounds more like 2 max from feeling them out.

Rate is $500 for the day.

Please text me if you are available and willing. These guys don't pay great, but they pay ontime and work often. If you know anyone that would be interested if you are not, please let me know!

Thank you,

Thomas Popp

818-359-1348

Not everyone has the biggest paid clients. There are gigs and clients that pay more than this, and just as many clients that pay even cheaper as well. 

Can you tell me with 100% certainty that you have NEVER taken a gig, EVER for $500 or less?

Thank you everyone. I found someone off the this site. I appreciate the help!

~Thomas

$500 with gear.... Jeeezeee..    No actual comment..

We don't know who took the $500 all in job or why, but there are times when this could be a life saver. Not all of us have been around long enough to amass a huge savings safety blanket  and life does deliver some hard knocks sometimes. Even those with savings could lose it all due to a major misfortune.

If work has been dry for a while then $500 might be a chunk off the mortgage or rent, pay for that car repair, or get some supplies for your kids. I know that I have been in situations where even a lower paying job like this would have been a life saver for me. I'm sure others could also say the same.

"don't pay great, but pay on time and work often "

This is not a one time affair...  We hear it here all the time... The work often and don't pay great leads me to believe this has become a norm for these people... Bad for you, bad for me , bad for our community. A Jib, 2 crews shooting multiple Epic cameras, 6- 18 wheelers, on and on and on.... and $500 all in for the sound dept.  Including the package with wireless , mics and most likely other expensive to purchase items.

That blows, regardless of the "Not having amassed a huge savings safety blanket, or, being around a long time.  Many of us HAVE been around a long time because we get the "Big Picture" thing and how it affects the  long term viability and pay structure of OUR Motion picture sound community and OUR ability to ALL continue to make a living at it... not merely survive.. If I wanted to do that, I would apply at Walmart...

" We hear it here all the time. "

so this goes back to the same old (frankly tired) discussion of the way we would like the world to be, and the way it actually is,

and the way we would like the marketplace to work, and the way it actually works.

For those doing well, this job sucks, but for many, this job is better than a lot they are seeing...

" We hear it here all the time. "

so this goes back to the same old (frankly tired) discussion of the way we would like the world to be, and the way it actually is,

and the way we would like the marketplace to work, and the way it actually works.

For those doing well, this job sucks, but for many, this job is better than a lot they are seeing...

One mans poison is another mans high.

CrewC 

I know.. I know... Tired argument... It still bugs me.... always will... Probably because I can imagine the meeting before the show starts.... 

" Don't worry, I can find some kook with all his own gear to do this for $500.00... (room erupts in laughter) Someone chimes in... "really" for $500.... and the Production manager says  "oh yeah, no problem, they are a dime a dozen... let me make some calls...

And there you have it....  new rate for this kind of job, $500.00... 

Old story, and like politics only 50% of the people will see it this way, the other 50% don't see this as a problem, only a "one time deal" or a "bridge in income"  or "the way they think the pay structure works"...  OK, but.. I am on the other 50% side...  I think it damages a great deal...

These are only opinions and thoughts, nothing to get angry at or become incensed... I am not, I am only trying to make someone think... whatever you choose to think, at least try to understand the big picture, that's all...  Hope the show goes well whomever did it.

" the other 50% don't see this as a problem, only a ..."

...way to make some money and, especially, get some much needed experience which they typically lack, so s/he will be able to command and deserve those higher rates the other 50% are  currently earning, largely due to their and years of experience (gained from: years of experience)...and perhaps more appropriate equipment package

This is the sort of thing one needs to look out for:

" We're filming a non-union documentary business profile for American Express Small Business "

I suspect that should perhaps be clarified, as they also state:

" NOTE: This is a business profile for a competition commissioned by the crowd-sourcing agency, MOFILM, "