o1v96i powering question

John Bauman

I can't remember the last time I did not have AC on any shoot I have been on....  IF one needs to... fire up a Honda until the Sparks get up and running.... All this inverter talk is making my _enis smaller....  It's a big console, Feed it AC... 

I used my 01v96 for years without the worry of (no) AC...  When I needed to go small.... I did...  (no pun)

I can't remember the last time I did not have AC on any shoot I have been on....  IF one needs to... fire up a Honda until the Sparks get up and running.... All this inverter talk is making my _enis smaller....  It's a big console, Feed it AC... 

I used my 01v96 for years without the worry of (no) AC...  When I needed to go small.... I did...  (no pun)

I wished I could rely on that kind of situation.  I just can't and never have.  Inverter is the only way to go for me and it's a no brainer with the HF1000.  I can't tell you how many times the power has been interrupted, or at wrap...boom, there goes the genie power.  I never have to worry.  But that's my preference of course.

I'm not sure about the buzzing of the console.  I think either you or someone else has posted about this before.  The O1V that I have used have never had a physical buzzing that I've ever heard.  Sounds like a trip to Yamaha to check that out.

P

I wished I could rely on that kind of situation.  I just can't and never have.  Inverter is the only way to go for me and it's a no brainer with the HF1000.  I can't tell you how many times the power has been interrupted, or at wrap...boom, there goes the genie power.  I never have to worry.  But that's my preference of course.

Phil,

I get that, that's why I use a hefty UPS..... It  (Yamaha) was the only AC powered thing on the cart...(except my speaker...) Every once and a while I would stay powered up and move, or loose power, but it was rare and worked perfectly.... never a problem... again, there's always the Honda 2000... A few ways to skin the cat... for sure... ::)

I bought the Xantrex Freedom HF1000 (version 1) & a 50 AH AGM battery, added an external kill switch for the fan, installed & cased them, and so far have found they all perform as hoped.  The hiccup: when shore power is removed and the inverter is providing the power, my O1V96 buzzes.  No problems in the tracks, no problems in the monitor, just a low-level acoustic buzz that seems to come from multiple places inside the O1V.  It's the same thing I found months ago when trying an inexpensive inverter, but which never happened using a borrowed Samlex true sine-wave inverter.  

Is my O1V just a picky eater?  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Fred 

My Yamaha will buzz about 50% of the time when I first power it up AC or inverter.  Not sure why but it has been that way almost from day 1.  I just have to reboot it several times until it quits.  I just know it's the nature of the beast.

...I should quantify my statement about the buzz - it's not one that can be heard through the system with headphones but an external buzz that can be heard sitting at the cart. The buzz doesn't "leak" into the audio.  I know that not all Yamaha's are that way, but mine is. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

My Xantrex Freedom HF1000 inverter/charger worked great on its first couple of outings, starting on house power and then on a production genny.  But  Honda putt-putts fed a couple of shows after that, first an EU2000i then an EU6500i, and my unit refused to recognize the presence of their power.   

Skipping past a couple of frustrating weeks and several blind alleys I found the Xantrex requires its power feed be bonded (jumpered) between Neutral (wide blade) and Chassis/Earth (round pin). Next I found that Hondas are manufactured with Hot and Neutral floating, tying nothing to their Chassis/Earth third conductor.  For Honda such a design makes sense since it certainly eases integration of their units into existing homes, RVs and marina environments where by code Neutral is already bonded to Chassis/Earth long before any putt-putt shows up.  And until I added the Xantrex I had no reason to even think about it.

My solution (see photos) was to make a short AC extension cable with a heavy jumper between the round pin and the wide blade.  I use it on the far end of my own stinger, and plug in as close to the putt-putt as possible. To keep the our Electrician brothers from freaking out (and I can't really blame them) I've labeled it for use on putt-putts only, never for genny or house power.

This aside, the Xantrex really seems to be a great unit, and I thank all of you who've played a role in getting me onboard.

Fred

post-1416-0-51282300-1379538938_thumb.jp

post-1416-0-53713700-1379538943_thumb.jp

...I should quantify my statement about the buzz - it's not one that can be heard through the system with headphones but an external buzz that can be heard sitting at the cart. The buzz doesn't "leak" into the audio.  I know that not all Yamaha's are that way, but mine is. Go figure.

Mine does the same thing.

It was scary the first time ! but I've become used to it now. Like Mirror mentioned, I just cycle it on and off a couple of times and it will eventually fire up quietly. Usually takes 2 or 3 tries.

I wouldn't say mine does it 50 percent of the time. Maybe one in ten power ups it happens.

My Xantrex Freedom HF1000 inverter/charger worked great on its first couple of outings, starting on house power and then on a production genny.  But  Honda putt-putts fed a couple of shows after that, first an EU2000i then an EU6500i, and my unit refused to recognize the presence of their power.   

Skipping past a couple of frustrating weeks and several blind alleys I found the Xantrex requires its power feed be bonded (jumpered) between Neutral (wide blade) and Chassis/Earth (round pin). Next I found that Hondas are manufactured with Hot and Neutral floating, tying nothing to their Chassis/Earth third conductor.  For Honda such a design makes sense since it certainly eases integration of their units into existing homes, RVs and marina environments where by code Neutral is already bonded to Chassis/Earth long before any putt-putt shows up.  And until I added the Xantrex I had no reason to even think about it.

My solution (see photos) was to make a short AC extension cable with a heavy jumper between the round pin and the wide blade.  I use it on the far end of my own stinger, and plug in as close to the putt-putt as possible. To keep the our Electrician brothers from freaking out (and I can't really blame them) I've labeled it for use on putt-putts only, never for genny or house power.

This aside, the Xantrex really seems to be a great unit, and I thank all of you who've played a role in getting me onboard.

Fred

I understand the logic of it but still see it as a loaded gun....be careful.

philp

Like Mirror's o1v, mine would start up with a physical buzz. Upon pressing the power button, it was quite loud but would immediately quiet down to a low hum. I borrowed a pure sine inverter to test, and the of course the noise went away. I decided not to risk even the remote possibility that the modified wave would lead to problems. I went with the Xantrex Prowatt 600, and it has worked perfectly for me.

• 1 year later...

I bought the Xantrex Freedom HF1000 (version 1) & a 50 AH AGM battery, added an external kill switch for the fan, installed & cased them, and so far have found they all perform as hoped.  The hiccup: when shore power is removed and the inverter is providing the power, my O1V96 buzzes.  No problems in the tracks, no problems in the monitor, just a low-level acoustic buzz that seems to come from multiple places inside the O1V.  It's the same thing I found months ago when trying an inexpensive inverter, but which never happened using a borrowed Samlex true sine-wave inverter.  

Is my O1V just a picky eater?  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Fred 

I just opened the sealed Yamaha box on my O1v96i yesterday and I can hear the power supply hum inside when plugged into my 120 volt wall outlet. It's very quiet in my house otherwise, but I can hear it several feet away, like 10 if I listen for it.  How much noise is normal? My Kill-A-Watt meter shows 124 volts at the wall outlet and shows the O1v96i is drawing 46 watts / .55 amps with 48 volt phantom power on channels 1-4 with one condenser mic plugged into channel 1, otherwise at idle. I'll try plugging it into my APC 650 battery backup and surge protector after that charges up (had it off for years) and see what happens.

Edited by Larry
more info

Larry, since my initial contributions I added a new 01v96i as my daily driver over a year ago.  It's never had enough acoustic buzz for me to notice when on the inverter (Xantrex Freedom HF1000, version 1).  My original 01v96v buzzed maybe only a quarter of the times it was fed inverter power. Neither has put any noise into their signal streams.  My current take is that there's no lurking problem pairing these two devices.  But of course YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Using a borrowed oscilloscope I just got a look at the "modified sine wave" output by my Xantrex Freedom HF1000 inverter.  As easily seen, there's nothing remotely sine-ish about it.  

It's not a square wave either, since square waves hop from full positive excursion to full negative without spending any time at zero as this does.

I'm presuming they chose the rise- and fall-times so the area under their curve matched the area under a true sine wave curve.  Contemporary power supplies are switching rather than built around transformers which this squarish waveform would gak up, so why not -- all my stuff works fine with it.  So despite my irritation at the liberties they took with their marketing-speak I am happy with the unit and it's performance.

Xantrex Freedom HF1000 modified square output.jpg