the demise of Beyer DT48 headphones

bilagaana

Today I tried to buy a new set of DT48 headphones.  I've used the same kind for thirty-five years and now BeyerDynamic has decided to cease production on the finest phones that have been on the market since 1937.  Too bad!  I guess it's time to go to the box of old ones and cobble together a new pair.  Good by old friend.

Today I tried to buy a new set of DT48 headphones.  I've used the same kind for thirty-five years and now BeyerDynamic has decided to cease production on the finest phones that have been on the market since 1937.  Too bad!  I guess it's time to go to the box of old ones and cobble together a new pair.  Good by old friend.

There are more stores than you can shake a stick at selling them here in the UK. All round about the 275 to 300 UKpound mark.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I had a pair for a long time, almost indestructible, but hugely uncomfortable as others have said. They were stolen many years ago whilst I was doing a session in the House Of Commons (part of our government buildings here in the UK) after I'd been thoroughly vetted as I went in and all my kit checked for weapons, etc.

When I told the in-house police about the theft, the reply was: "What did you expect? This place is full of the biggest bunch of crooks in the country." Subsequent events have proved that this was a very much a correct assessment.

I use the Sonys now, with Beyer velour ear pads, which helps considerably.

Regards,

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for all your condolences.  I, too, have suffered the pinched head and living in Florida's incessant humidity would have to sop the sweat out of them every 15 minutes until I made cloth covers for them, then on to the store bought kind.  The Sony's are OK but not the same.  Thanks for the tips.

Guess this is why dealers have an abundance of ear pads , selling for use with 7506s

I used to wear these headphones years ago working for a telco. Used with a ultrasonic leak detector, by the end of the day

with the constant noise of the detector and the head vice grip made for a hurting head day

We used the detector for locating leaks in aerial cables, the only way I can describe the noise is like you listen to

steady pink noise or static

• 1 year later...

I bought a pair when I first started doing sound.  The first day I used them I figured that mine were either defective or I'd bought a "size very small" pair by mistake.  I didn't like the sound and I really didn't like the headaches they induced.  I thought that the reason professionals used them was at least in part due to their field serviceability (ie you could buy parts and fix them yourself), but for the life of me I never figured out why so many soundies like them.  My long-time boom op, Gary "The Immutable" Dowling, would use nothing else--hated my Sonys and Senns, so go figure.  

philp