Man of Steel a mess of sound

So finally got round to watching Man of Steel. It was alright was expecting more from it but still enjoyed it. The dialogue sounded ok as well but my god was it just a mash up of different booms and bangs, I can't remember any time I left a cinema with fatigued ears, did anyone else experience this? Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I thought the movie itself was terribly boring, and a big downer.

Not a hint of happy in that film.

One of the worst sound scenes was when he was talking to mom on the poch.

The cicadas were so ridiculously loud.

If you're not going to ADR the scene, then you better be notching and minimizing them cicadas. That's the re-recording mixers job. Why that wasnt done, is beyond me.

I thought the sound of the last Batman was terrible.

Loud, loud, loud film, especially in Imax. Side question to Mark Hensley: how loud are the peaks in a movie allowed to go? I whipped out my trust SPL meter once or twice and caught the movie going to 105dB, which felt awfully loud to me. Do you routinely go with an 85dB reference level, then go 20dB above that for peaks? 

I thought the movie was pretty grim and colorless, but audiences have responded well to it. I'm glad to see Superman back, but I'd kinda hope they'll go for a lighter touch the next time. On the other hand, you get Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder, you know it's not exactly going to be a fun, happy film...

We Always mix features at 85. Dialog averaging around -27

Peaks can go up that loud easily. But to have it hitting an average of 105 is out of control.

Especially on an atmos with 64 speakers hitting that. I personally find it irresponsible.

There is also the factor that lots of theaters pay no attention to their playback levels. They're supposed to calibrate but never do.

Worked in a cinema back home for over a year and I still remember there were certain screens I would refuse to see a film in due to the playback level (this was actually in Dublin. But I assume you went somewhere up north, Chris?)

I saw the premier at arclight Hollywood. It hurt. I mean it hurt my ears it was so loud the whole run.

Never mind that it also hurt to lose those hours to that movie. Thanks Russel Crow and Michael Shannon for being the only redeeming qualities and characters of that sorry excuse for a film.

>>I could hear the gates opening and closing on nearly every dialogue line.<<

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

The best demonstration of this is on two American shows currently on British Television.

The first one is Man vs Food which is bad enough in Audio terms but Drive ins Diners and Dives is an audio disgrace.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

The best demonstration of this is on two American shows currently on British Television.

The first one is Man vs Food which is bad enough in Audio terms but Drive ins Diners and Dives is an audio disgrace.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

well, when you get 8 hours to do these shows, you can't expect much. And they usually don't use the best guys available. That's even IF they have a sound guy.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I know the crew that works on the show and I'm curious to know why the sound is so bad in your opinion.  I've watched the finished show on the air many times here in the US and I've not noticed any issues, and in fact I think it sounds pretty good.  

well, when you get 8 hours to do these shows, you can't expect much. And they usually don't use the best guys available. That's even IF they have a sound guy.

I know the crew that has been doing Drive Ins, Diners and Dives.  They've done it since the show began and I'd say the sound guy is good and very experienced.  I don't know what they do for audio sweetening since they changed production companies, but they used to do extensive sweetening that wasn't limited to 8 hours.  I don't think they do as much anymore, but I don't think the sound is sub standard at all.  I think the bigger issue on these cable shows is the lack of attention paid to post production audio.  The show I work on, Bath Crashers, frustrates me when I see it on the air because I know they don't do much with audio other than some cookie cutter compression and normalizing.  I deliver a split mix.  Host on one channel, everyone else on the other channel.  I give them isos as well and implore them to use them as needed.  The show is a home improvement show and is in essence a reality show so I mix as best I can and rarely get a second chance at stuff.  I'm not sure what other shows do but I think video editors doing the final audio mix is part of why these shows sound the way they do.  I notice sub titles are very common on some "reality" shows even if the sound is ok.  Accents seem to be the incentive for that.

Bernie, I didn't mean to agree with the statement that it sounds bad. I was thinking that the OP might be expecting it to sound like a scripted show.

Having mixed quite a bits of reality TV myself, I now this not to be the case.

Also, having seen a few of the episodes of D&D I too never thought it sounded particularly bad either.