Lav tape

jackdrobin

• 8 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone;

a: Knows what 3M tape Rycote Stickies are made of? I see the 3M mark on the paper, so I'm wondering if I can buy the product in sheet or tape form.

b: Knows of a tape that is as sticky as Superstick but has thin foam like the Stickies do.

I want to have a double sided tape that is the size of Superstick, but has the foam thickness of Rycote Stickies. Superstick is good, but it is so thin it's hard to manage. I'd like something with a bit of thickness that makes it easier to manage like the Rycote Stickies. I've seen plenty of double sided foam tape. But none of them are as flexible as the Rycote Stickies.

Paul 3M makes a line of sticking products.  VHB.  Rolls and small sheets.  Amazon carries a number of them.  You will need to investigate further as I don't have all the details.  Some of them are 1mm or less in thickness which I suspect would be similar to the Stickies.  I know they come in various degrees of adhesion along with the difficulty of removal.  I know the automotive industry uses these products to assemble parts of cars, like trim.

I keep several rolls on hand for sticking small items together.

David

All double-sided stock tapes I tried so far were too noisy and/or too bulky. So I carry on using Stickies and Undercovers. Well, admittedtly it's our responsibility to keep that special market alive.

For other fixings I have a bunch of different medical tapes like 3M Transpore, Leukosilk, plasters etc. They all have (or haven't) certain advantages like sticking well on skin, going off completeley from fabrics etc. Some sound and hold well but are white, so not always invisible. If a tape is noisy all the time I can still use it well for fixing cables further away from the lav or IEM cable fixing on presenter. Trial and error.

14 hours ago, drpro said:

Paul 3M makes a line of sticking products.  VHB.  Rolls and small sheets.  Amazon carries a number of them.  ...

David

I saw that on Amazon and wondered if it had the flexibility of the Stickies. I've tried other 3M foam tapes and they are much stiffer than the Stickies. I might give the VHB a try.

11 hours ago, Mungo said:

All double-sided stock tapes I tried so far were too noisy and/or too bulky. ...

This has been my experience. But with Rycote having found a product from 3M, I was hoping to find it somewhere. I like the stickies but I also want the same in a size the same as Stick-it.