Sennheiser wireless headphones instead of comtek?

SonicBoomPole

Fine people of the forums,

I was curious to know if any one out there in low budget land or else where has come upon a more affordable solution to providing headphones to Director an/or scripty than the standard comtek or zaxcomm IFB?

I recently came across something that I thought I'd share and see who is with me on this one...

I'm currently running Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. $150 on eBay then $100 per extra set of cans. Check 'em out here:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-headphones-digital-stereo-rs-160

Basically, you send a stereo feed to a 1/8" TRS mini-jack on a small Tx base station (runs on 2xAA not included) and it then sends that mix out to as many as 4 sets of cans. Each HP set has its own power and volume controls and the cans run on 2 AAA batteries (eneloop batteries are included!).

So on a small indie set these have worked great so far. Range is stated at 60ft which doesn't sound like much but I have not run into any issues on range.

There is an ever so slight delay though as it uses 2.4Ghz which is the same as WiFi.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Please do tell!

Fine people of the forums,

I was curious to know if any one out there in low budget land or else where has come upon a more affordable solution to providing headphones to Director an/or scripty than the standard comtek or zaxcomm IFB?

Lectrosonics (not so much low budget) and Sennheiser IEM should be mentioned. The latter will get you better range than the wireless headphones and if your director or scripty breaks the headphones (and this does happen) you don't have to spend 100$ for new ones. That's where I see the most obvious weak point of your system.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I agree I'm not saving a ton and they can be a little more fragile than other options. Initially I was looking at the Senheiser IEMs since I use the same G3 system already but they cost about $300+ per Rx unit used which is more than my current set up. A 4 headset system would run me $450. Plus I can send stereo not just mono as with Comtek (I know the Sennheiser and Zaxcom stuff does stereo and probably Lectro as well but at a higher cost).

I will say that people seem fairly pleased with them and that mostly they are happy to wear them (pretty comfortable) and they treat them respectfully. I only use them when the budget calls for it and when I feel they will be utilized properly and not simply tossed aside.

Also using 2.4Ghz doesn't interfere with my A and B range G3s or take up another Tx.

My thought was that if they weren't quite what I needed for work that I would use them at home and still be pleased with my purchase. My process is always evolving. Thanks again for the input!

Zaxcom, lectro, and I believe the sennheiser are all MONO.

The real question is, what are you broadcasting that would utilize stereo? My dialog mixes are mono, and listening split ear to different sources is a difficult skill that takes a lot of practice. Otherwise it's just distracting.

The ListenTech system may be within your budget. The LT400 receivers are normally about $160 each. Not as rugged as the Comtek but sound very good, have good range and can use any standard stereo or mono HPs and run all day on 2 AA. batts. They're also compatible  w/ Comteks.(sort of, but don't sound great) 216 and/or 72Mhz models available.

I always give out the lightweight low-cost Sony HPs as well, because clients tear them up. If they want something better, it can be arranged or they can bring the own.

Thanks Rick, I'll look into the ListenTech system. I do have some $20 Sennheiser HP to use with them.

WanderingEar, yeah the option of running a stereo mix is nice but usually running just mono dialog. Good to have the option though.

I guess I was misunderstanding or mis-remembering what I've read here on other posts. I thought there were some stereo wireless systems out there. I suppose I'm wrong on that.

" There is an ever so slight delay though as it uses 2.4Ghz which is the same as WiFi. "

incorrect cause/effect logic.

at $100 per h/s it doesn't really seem that "cost effective",

Seeing as a new Comtek receiver (by itself) is $300+ how can you realistically make that statement?

Exactly my thoughts when originally considering this route.

On eBay the best I could find was a comtek Tx and Rx plus a mic for like $250+shipping. Most were priced higher. Hence the Sennheiser RS160 for now.

Maybe comtek and similar is a better system for this purpose and even for the long run but for cost/benefit and need it right now; this fits the bill.

" I thought there were some stereo wireless systems out there. "

there are, both microphone systems, and monitoring systems.

" how can you realistically make that statement? "

by recalling all the threads about folks looking for more inexpensive headsets...

by reviewing all the discussions (and invoices) about replacing and/or repairing  lost and or damaged headsets...

I too started with the senny 160s great for the price and worked quite well for the level of shows I was doing. Ultimately the bigger shows I started doing the further village would get giving me range problems and the more weirder looks I got when I offered huge cans to them. "What do you mean I can't use my iPod earbuds?!" Eventually I upgraded to lectro ifbs but actually still get asked for the "big cans" every now and again.

Right before I upgraded if I had range issues to village I would use a g3 as an ifb and attached it to the senny RS tx and just left it at village.

" the further village would get giving me range problems "

run a cable to the village, and put the TX there.

problem solving is a huge part of the job!

or get one lectro system and make it wireless to the receiver at the village... :) :|

Jordan thanks for the tip on using a G3 as a hop for longer runs. That will extend (pun intended) the life of this product for my uses before eventually upgrading to a proper solution when the gigs and budget call for it. Glad to hear someone else was actually using them too! There's always rental when I need it something for a quick in/out gig.