I blew up my Zaxcom Rx900

noeld

Has anyone had a rx900 blow up? Mine did when I connected a 12v battery via d tap. It popped and then smoke came out the battery door. I had no batteries in it. I have used the same battery multiple times. I'm using Ikan 12v batteries.

" Has anyone had a rx900 blow up? "

I'm guessing you did,  so, what difference does it make if anyone else did..?

well, CRAP happens.

You know, I just recently had something similar happen with a battery charger.  (It had to be fixed)

Now that I think about it,  something like that happened to another rechargeable battery I had, years ago, in Fiji.  I had to have that one fixed, too.

i blew up at least two. Yes isaw smokes twice. Hope this would make you feel slightly better. It's surely the polarity reversed. The qrx100 has a power fail protection in the unit, so this won't happen to qrx. I asked if Zaxcom if they can do the same to the rx900 and they said no. Anyway I think this should be done when they designing the rx900.

You have to send the unit back in for sure, if I recall correctly the price is around 400usd something for a new board from two or three years ago.

I blew an IFB100 probably because it got no power switch. Connecting / disconnecting the power lead to switch on/off the unit and likely one time having the connector not properly screwed onto the IFB had a smoke signal as a result.

Now that I put a switch inline with the power lead it feels much more secure.

I have blown two RX900s when plugging in their power leads. Confirmed correct DC polarity. Seems most likely to have arced when connecting the hot coax plug. Made it a practice to kill power to coax plugs before connecting to these units & never happened again.

Ben Lowry

Fortunately for me, that is one thing that never happened with the zax stuff I have.

I made a power switch too (diode protected) for my IFB100 for practical reasons (powering for extended menus).

Again, my pov: premium price, flawed design.

Positive side: I notice with time that they read posts here and listen and work things out slowly but steadily.

Maxx is a good example of where they lightened up while others seem to sleep on the switch. But will it be rock solid on all aspects, that's another question/guess.