Getting in on the industry

So I'm sure many of you guys have come across me on the boards here, and you've all offered great advice and opinions (particularly about the reverberant room). I've seen a lot of networking in action over here, although a lot of you are firmly established within the industry and are already in the networks that you need to be in.

I've freelanced for a good year or so now, mostly working on low end productions where I do get a lot of very poorly (or hardly) paid work from job boards, although work's not greatly consistent in its quality, and I'm probably not going to get to big work by just slugging away doing that. What I'm finding tricky is getting my networking started in terms of meeting other sound department members, and how I can go about getting work as a smaller fish on bigger productions.

I have a tendency to introduce myself to the sound department whenever I'm out and about and happen upon a set, but I don't see it as a very reliable method of getting into bigger work. It's been suggested that I just contact various local mixers, but it feels like I could do more that just email or phone around. I realise that working with other sound departments by booming or utilitying for some good mixers is my best bet to get into some real work, but I'm just not too sure where to begin to get to that stage.

I'm fortunate in that I'm young enough to have plenty of time to put into pushing my way into the industry, and I'm hoping that some of you guys might be able to offer some advice as to how I can really put my time to its best use and push my efforts in the best direction – I know it's tricky, but I imagine everyone here had to start somewhere. I know a lot of you are US based and I don't know how different the US industry is to here in the UK, but it seems that the networking aspect is pretty much the same either side of the pond.

Thanks,

Gandy. 

[Apologies if this could have gone in general]

you are not alone, as folks like you have been asking that question here periodically for years.

though some disagree, IMO there is a certain amount of "chance" (luck, if you will) involved, but you have to keep working at improving your own personal chances.

Try washing their cars or mowing their lawns.;~)

The answer is somehow. That's what George Lucas said when asked the same question. Every road is different in the journey as yours  will be. Sounds as if you are doing the right thing. Any sound dealers in London? Hang out there, offer to help them in anyway they may need. Get to know them and those who do business there. Do every gig, free or paid you can. I still work w people I met in the free beginning days of my career. Best of luck because it takes a little of that as well.

CrewC

1. Don't be an asshole!

2. Get a rep for working well with others and maintaining a professional attitude

3. Always be on top of your game, even when the other departments are slacking.

4. Never bite the hand that feeds you, however don't be a push over either. 

5. Learn from others mistakes as well as your own.

6. Keep yo chin up.

7. Don't be an asshole!

Every road is indeed different. Just keep trying and don't get discouraged. I know mixers who on year one are doing major network jobs with top-tier guys, and I know people five years into it still struggling to make the right contacts. Just keep trying if this is what you know you want to do.

Remember, there are a lot of people who are naysayers:

"Oh, you want to be a teacher? That sucks, you have to work early in the mornings, with kids, plus you don't get paid that much and you have to get all sorts of certifications..."

"Oh, you want to be a brain surgeon? That's terrible. You have to go to school for like 15 years, your student loans will be through the roof, a lot of people don't pass the schooling anyway and you'll work all the time so good luck keeping a family together."

"Oh, you want to be a handsome billionaire? That's so silly. Everyone is going to want your money and you'll have lots of problems, people will be jealous of you because you're handsome and you'll never know if women or men love you for who you are or if it's the money..."

Catch my drift?

1. Don't be an asshole!

2. Get a rep for working well with others and maintaining a professional attitude

3. Always be on top of your game, even when the other departments are slacking.

4. Never bite the hand that feeds you, however don't be a push over either. 

5. Learn from others mistakes as well as your own.

6. Keep yo chin up.

7. Don't be an asshole!

I'm a huge fan of numbers 1 and 7.

Don't underestimate the power of the set visit.

Although I was already in the union and had years of set experience when I switched over to the sound department, giving me a distinct advantage in terms of hirability, it was very difficult to convince people to hire me based on my resume and a phone call or email.

Dropping by to meet people in person gives your name a face.

For example, I called ahead to Patrick Hanson to ask if I could visit when I saw "The West Wing" signs in my neighborhood. He said to stop by. We chatted for a few minutes before he asked his utility guy if he had found someone to fill in for him for the day he was taking off. He hadn't. They asked me, and from that I had many many days of work with that show and subsequently "Studio 60".

Patrick and I still chat from time to time, although he's now in Atlanta.

It's all about creating opportunities for yourself, but being ready when they come. What's the saying - "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" - or something like that.

And don't be an asshole.

Robert

A few months ago, a director/producer I had never worked with before was lamenting with his DP that they had to send someone off set to buy a CF reader. I had just bought a new Delkin reader and had my old one still floating around in my gig bag, so I gave him my old one. This week, on my third gig now with his company, his DP is lamenting that they forgot their slate. When I handed him mine (which I always do anyway), the director exclaimed joyously, "slates, cf readers, thats why i love you man !".

Tiny little things seem to mean a lot. Trick is though, you never know what that meaningful tiny thing will be until afterwards.

Best to fill your life with those tiny little things until the "somehow" comes, I reckon.

best

Lots of great advice here -- and not just for the beginners.  It's important for those of us who have been around for a while to be reminded of what's important.

To Michael's excellent list, I'd add, "Always show up fifteen to twenty minutes prior to call time.  'On time' is late."

How you treat other people is huge.  Add to that, you never know when they'll be the ones doing the hiring.  Therefore, it's not just bad form to ever act like a jerk -- it's STUPID!

A couple of things I'd add for a beginner is to shut your mouth and open your ears, and don't try to prove how much you know (it'll immediately brand you as a novice and have the person who hired you thinking who they'd like to replace you with).

Hey Grady!,

I'm in pretty much the same as you, only one more year. 

Sounds to me what you've been doing has been right, and you have the right thought as being young and having time, cause it will take  quite a bit of time. 

As been repeated we all have different paths to were we end up, that's one reason why I love this job!!!!

Also take Michael M's list to heart, this is an industry of family and friendships.

If able take as many gigs as you can, swallow that big pill of pride and work for free for a good cause, you never know who or what you'll run into.

Anywhom-and-how keep reminding yourself why you are here and why you love it!

Take Care,

Edmond Smith

A few months ago, a director/producer I had never worked with before was lamenting with his DP that they had to send someone off set to buy a CF reader. I had just bought a new Delkin reader and had my old one still floating around in my gig bag, so I gave him my old one. This week, on my third gig now with his company, his DP is lamenting that they forgot their slate. When I handed him mine (which I always do anyway), the director exclaimed joyously, "slates, cf readers, thats why i love you man !".

Tiny little things seem to mean a lot. Trick is though, you never know what that meaningful tiny thing will be until afterwards.

Best to fill your life with those tiny little things until the "somehow" comes, I reckon.

best

Did you hand him a timecode slate or a standard dumb slate? Just curious.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

When I start (and I'm in the same boat with you): Little contacts. Most of gigs unpaid. Every time "future projects". Future projects unpaid. But with every "future project" I met new people. New contacts. How to make new real contacts? Be yourself and bring your knowledge about what you know (technical).

That work here. I don't know how it works in UK. I hope my little words help you. :)

Best

V