Stake with mic threads

Michael Panfeld

Hi:  I have an upcoming gig which involves a lot of soccer action.  I was going to pick up a lot of foley of a soccer ball being kicked in a variety of ways, similar to penalty kicks.

My idea is to put a long shotgun near the ground (and the ball).  Something similar to what you see near golf tees for a major tourney.

Does anybody make what is basically a stake with a mic thread?  Thanks

" I was going to pick up a lot of foley of... "

no you weren't...

and, BTW, it is Foley, as it is a persons name.

Foley in our industry means pretty much performing soundeffects in sync while watching the images...

I believe you will be recording "sound effects".

With the picture I was on last week, doing noisy exteriors, whenever I'd ask to grab the dialog tracks wild, one of the producers would announce we were going to record ADR.   I didn't feel like correcting him.

Same thing with me on our last feature project. I corrected the director twice, saying it was just "wild lines." He didn't quite get it. Later on, in the re-recording theater, the re-recording mixer set him straight and I kept quiet. The end results sounded fine and all was well, and that's the only thing that was important.

Regarding the 5/8th threaded rod (http://www.atlassoun...ct.aspx?id=1497), you could cut one end at an angle. You would need some way to protect the threads on the other side while you pound it in: some kind of cap. If you had such a cap, however, you could drill a hole in it and use two bolts to attach (say) a 1/4 in threaded rod (available in a well-stocked hardware store), which you could sharpen at one end. You might be able to push that in by hand.

Just a thought.

--Jim

Shoot was today.  I had gone to Home Depot to grab a foot long 3/8" threaded rod.  Worked great in my yard.  Got to the site (which was a last minute change): artificial turf.  I laughed for a minute and then patted myself for bringing a mini-cardellini with a 3/8" thread.  Clamped to a stand. 

Oh and Senator:  thank you so much for the helpful and on-topic suggestion to solve my problem.  I mean, if you had simply used my careless error, in rushing to compose a sentence, as an opportunity to "educate" me in a way that is totally unrelated to the question, well, then you might come off as an asshat. 

Next time you feel the burning desire to post a reply that is not germane to the thread topic (which appears to be substantially all of your posts), pause, breathe, and wait an hour.  Then ask your self if that response is really something that needs to be said.

The Senator is right...it's hard to be in a business as long as we have and hear people use incorrect terminology.  Some of the little stuff you can let slide but you have to call the blatant ones.  Particularly when it's in the very field that we (the royal we) profess to be professionals in.  

No offense, but the Senator said out loud what everyone was thinking.

Next time you feel the burning desire to post a reply that is not germane to the thread topic (which appears to be substantially all of your posts), pause, breathe, and wait an hour.  Then ask your self if that response is really something that needs to be said.

What if he would have complimented you off-topic?