Naked and Afraid

Tom Maloney

Was flipping the channels and came across this on Discovery. You got to be kidding , a older guy and 20 something girl running around the jungle butt naked trying to survive for 21 days, guess the producer got bit by a snake, on the foot, pictures were so gross of his foot. So you got a camera and sound crew , where do they eat and sleep? Sound is good, believe the pacs are in the bags they are carrying and lavs hidden in the straps. Who thinks up these shows , and how do they get on , you know this crap is all staged, has to be. Batteries need to be charged. Lots of creative editing

I thought this was crap too.. especially after the producer got bit.. I turned it off.  Showed it to my wife, who likes Survivor.  And guess what.. she's hooked now.  She wanted to know when the next show is.

But, I have to tell you.. The naked part is NOT a ratings grab, I see that now.  It's all about another level of survival.  Taking away even the basics of simple protection on your body, is literally stripping down to the absolute basics, the same way humans did this millions of years ago.  We somehow got weird when it comes to clothes, and the thought that your NOT born with a shirt on.. no food, no shelter are a given on survivor shows like this.. they simply took it down even further.

-Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys i have to admit being the sound recordist on the Kenya shoot. Originally the crew had arrived without a sound person and the camera crew were expected to sort the audio to camera. It was a first for me in the reality field and hopefully the last.

I was called in after the first 2 days of shoot.......... lots of wind, dust and a poor DP pulling his hair out.. 

I rigged the cos11,s in the beads around their necks and placed the packs into the bags, stiching the cables into the straps!!!!!!!!!!

After days of Talent forgetting to remove the necklaces and bags as they bathed in the mud pits my time for sleep grew shorter and shorter.. Thank GOD for the Lectro LM,s unfortunately the cos11,s didnt fare as well.

1 Sound man to sort it all!!!!!!!!!!!!! never again.

By the way it was not scripted in any way, My heart went out to the editors.

Best Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a case for hiring a knowledgable sound person to pick the kit and go over the workflow long before the cameras get to location. This sounds like a perfect case where the audio is AT LEAST as important as picture. Honestly, I don't think it requires anything groundbreaking, but does require conversations with what works in the situation based on how they want to shoot it. Definitely nothing I personally haven't done, and I'm sure that's the same for many people here. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that will watch a reality TV show and ponder how to get the best audio out of what we can see of the situation... though I love the problem solving side of doc/reality work.