Field recording bag

AudioMTL

Hi!

Forgive me if this has been covered. Please link me if it has.

I want to carry a small field kit for recording sfx. I do a lot of post and a few (I'm choose-y) production shows a year.

I try to be always recording ambience and sfx for my original library and trade.

I want to carry a basic kit for this in a backpack type thing and have gear ready on the fly , always with me but not be over encumbered with gear bags.

I have porta braces and have made some makeshift camera bag rigs etc. with no real luck. Id like to use this kit looking for suggestions.

I'd like to carry:

Sony- md7506

Edirol r-44 (ready and accessible at front panel)

Octava / schoeps short hyper type mic with rycote baby ball gag on a lyre with pistol grip.

Few feet of xLR and I'd need the mic plugged and headphones plugged, this adds to the space requirements but the point is to always ready With quick easy access accessibility.

I nees something casual looking basically a backpack that I can swing around and then mix from or record from quickly

I purchased a national geographic camera bag , it has one strap and slings this allows you to put it on your back and quickly swing it to your front sideways like which is almost perfect for what I'm trying to do except it's not large enough to house the R-44 and the microphone mounted plugged with the baby ball gag. Let alone house it safely to carry on my back .

Here's a pic / the idea I had been toying with

http://m.costco.ca/National-Geographic-Explorer-DSLR-Sling-Camera-Bag-.product.100013231.html

I'm just looking for any suggestions

I know there are great backpacks by petrol etc out there but I don't know if any of them are designed to double up as sound bags... Have you considered shrinking your setup via looking into the Sonosax miniR82?  That and a mixpre might be a good compact field recording solution.  You might not even need the mix pre...It might give you more options than a larger device in terms of being able to pull it out and roll quickly.

Show Me Your Bag - gallery of photos of just about every bag setup that has ever been used by sound people around the world. I don't remember seeing ANY backpacks that have been suitable for doubling as a sound bag. Probably you should just continue your search since you seem to be on the right track to find this hybrid bag for sound gear.

I've done that too, but mine's a bit longer as it's for an MKH30/MKH8040 setup.

Out of curiosity, when you shortened the mid section, how did you secure the threading back onto it?  Was it simply a dremel + glue job?  Poly cement?

The rode mod in the previous thread is really neat  - puts my DIY baby ball gag to shame...

The Rode Blimp is cool in that the 'tube' is literally glued into a slot in the end threads. It's a daunting task to plunge the scissors the first time to cut the tupe to length, but after that you just use a scalpel to cut through the glue holding what's left in the end cap out.

Once it's a clean slot again, you put a few blobs of super-glue or similar in the slot, and put the newly-trimmed tube end back in. There's a bit of finessing with a scalpel or dremel as the one end of the tube is different (cable exit area) but it's pretty straight forward.

The hardest part was finding someone to trim the fur down for me!

The hardest part was finding someone to trim the fur down for me!

That's why we make friends with the wardrobe department! ;)

I have someone taking a sewing machine to an old windjammer this weekend for me..