joeco releases iPad interface

I really like the JoeCo recorder - up to 64 tracks in 1 RU with ltc/iXML BWF-M files to a USB harddrive all on 12 volts!

The one thing I found lacking was metering - it's just too much information to fit on a 1 RU chassis.

That's been addressed handily by the newly released JoeCo Remote, which provides  metering and control to the much larger iPad screen.

One of the issues that iPads have are that most apps that interface to "real world" hardware rely on Wifi, which we know can be problematic in congested areas. The JoeCo Remote solves this by giving you the option of using it hardwired, by turning the headphone jack of the iPad into an old-fashioned modem to connect directly to the serial port of the JoeCo. I hope other manufacturers take note.

We (Gotham) should have stock within two weeks, selling for just under $500.

More info here:http://joeco.co.uk/main/JCR_introduction.html

Peter Schneider

• 3 months later...

Hi Peter and all.

I have been testing the JoeCo Remote for a few weeks now, and so far I think it is brilliant. It tales just a bit of fiddling to get it all up and running, but fortunately there are succinct videos on the JoeCo website that aid in this process.

Once connected, I get a really easy to use user interface, and big, BIG, meters. It is a joy, especially when dealing with many tracks. Well done Joe and all...

Kindest regards,

Simon B

The interface on the iPad is beautiful, too -- very well done!

screen480x480.jpeg  

I think the potential of something like this plus Dante could yield a remarkably efficient and relatively-inexpensive multitrack recorder for a lot of different applications. The question for me is how well they could implement the scene & take metadata and other features needed for film sound.

The interface on the iPad is beautiful, too -- very well done!

screen480x480.jpeg

I think the potential of something like this plus Dante could yield a remarkably efficient and relatively-inexpensive multitrack recorder for a lot of different applications. The question for me is how well they could implement the scene & take metadata and other features needed for film sound.

I would describe the data entry aspect of the JoeCo as ok, not great, but in its own way no weirder really than my SD machines (with a keyboard attached).  It's just different and has its own quirks that take getting used to.  I hope Joe Bull decides to do a firmware upgrade that maybe makes all that more straightforward.  The iPad is helpful about many things w/ the BBR, but it doesn't change the data entry aspects.

philp

Hi Simon and Felipe and all,

We shot a video of Joe's new recorder at IBC with a much improved iPad interface: https://vimeo.com/75714488

The new recorder has 24 mic preamps and so of course the GUI has much more to do.

For me, the key to making the iPad an even remotely professional piece of kit is that it NOT rely solely on wireless or battery power.

Philip - I agree that metadata entry is ok - and could be geared more towards film and tv scene and take.

Peter

Joe was really smart to realize that his core user group (concert recording etc) was working in a wifi/RF intensive envirnment and if that made an iPad controller wonky then no one would use it, and that they would have no problem using an iPad that was hardwired to the recorder.  A good test case for this was seeing how the system operated at trade shows--very busy wifi at those!

philp