Show Me Your Ride

Jeff Wexler

What I hope to see here is discussion and images regarding our work vehicles, real and imagined, present day or historical. I will have to recuse myself from this topic since sadly I do not have ANY vehicle appropriate to the task of transporting me and the tools of the trade. I have had a number of great work vehicles in the past, but now, nothing.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VAN_zpsd91b34fa.jpg

2010 Chevy Express Cargo 3/4 ton, DIESEL 6.6 litre Duramax,   23 mpg.   heavily insulated, All professionally installed,  safety partition, heavy duty flooring, Speed track, Alarm (2), Rear window Security screens and Limo tinted, Duel batteries, yellow bright headlights.

I love this vehicle... PLENTY OF ROOM... Professional appearance,  (at least the van) Tons of power, longevity, smooth, decent Mpg. and actually nice to drive.

It also fits in parking structures and my garage... VERY important...

Beautiful cart, crew! Looks super light (by LA standards). I would post a "Ride" pic, but here in NY, the teamsters load our gear from our storage spaces

Not just a New York thing. The reason I don't have a vehicle anymore is that every job I have done in the last 20 years or more has been a feature film where the Transportation Department (Teamsters) has picked up the equipment from my shop or I have loaded directly into the Sound and Video truck or trailer. What I haven't been able to do over all these years are the one and two day jobs where the expectation is, at least here in L.A., that you will show up on the job with your own vehicle.

Not just a New York thing. The reason I don't have a vehicle anymore is that every job I have done in the last 20 years or more has been a feature film where the Transportation Department (Teamsters) has picked up the equipment from my shop or I have loaded directly into the Sound and Video truck or trailer. What I haven't been able to do over all these years are the one and two day jobs where the expectation is, at least here in L.A., that you will show up on the job with your own vehicle.

That expectation seems to be the norm all over.

Eric

Here's Clifford the Big Red Van:

post-379-0-53082900-1373558829_thumb.jpg

post-379-0-48325500-1373557981_thumb.jpg

...inside:

post-379-0-62629000-1373558621_thumb.jpg

post-379-0-41697000-1373559261_thumb.jpg

Cons?:

It has a limited turning radius...

3/4 ton, 5.9L - definitely a pig unless I keep my foot out of it...

but it'll get me out of a sticky situation:

post-379-0-76769400-1373560720_thumb.jpg

...I love having it on location - it's kept me warm and dry on many cold winter jobs in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana... and has served me well on location here in the South after a 2500 mile trek across the country, enduring monsoon level rains in Alabama and golf-ball sized hail in Texas: 

post-379-0-93997400-1373559848_thumb.jpg

It too will fit in parking structures and garages -- which is definitely key on almost every job I do.  The alarm system includes a 2-way controller with about a mile range.  I like the idea of security screens on the windows -- will have to do that soon.

~tt

Even on non union indie films I take the kit to the camera truck before day 1 and load out after the last shooting day. For a month feature, I use my Jeep Commander twice, and could usually get a truck to come to my house. It does pay off when doing a feature that's 70+ miles away, and get put up in a hotel. Gear + boom op + luggage and we can go anywhere comfortably.

Otherwise I'm doing doc/reality bag work that doesn't even need the space in my Jeep, let alone a sprinter. Like I said, I wish I was doing more jobs to justify a work vehicle I can pop out of with everything ready to go. Maybe one day!

Thanks Jeff,

Yeah, all it needs is a little mini-fridge, some bean-bags, and a disco ball, and we're partying.

Seriously though, I purposely went with lower-profile Magliners so they'd fit in there w/o taking anything apart.  Remote the antenna mast, cables through the window, and it's ready to go, and small enough to pull right up next to set... (usually.)  I've actually had directors and producers sitting in there with me instead of at video village because it was warmer or dryer or just more comfortable... January night EXT's in WA. can be cold.

~tt

Cliff...  Nice red van.... but beware...  I had 10 Dodge 2500 Ram vans, with 318s and a 360 in two.... almost all had either a blown top end or lower end at around 110,000 miles, and I was really really good about ALL service..  I also had about 6 rear ends on my last one... This was the year before the discontinuation of the Ram van... When I asked the Line mechanic why this van is going through rear ends he said " they knew the van was going to be discontinued, so they let the dies for the rear ends work way past their normal service life... they were not to proper spec...

If yours is still running well past the 110,000 mark... your my hero...

The show I'm working on now has been shooting in Dallas for the past 18 months with all transportation provided by the production company. However, when back in Los Angeles or even for a couple small day playing gigs in Dallas I'll frequently take one of my motorcycles:

post-2218-137356377175.jpg

They are a 1975 BMW R90/6 and a 2013 BMW K1600GTL. I am amazed how much gear I can pack on the K1600!

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I went with a trailer for a number of reasons, one of which being that it requires no registration, separate insurance, little maintenance, at it was only a couple of grand. I haven't needed to use it in a couple of years, and I'm glad to not be paying for a full vehicle to sit in my garage.

Image to follow.

But if I were a commercial mixer, I'd be all over having a cool production vehicle.

Robert

Cliff...  Nice red van.... but beware...  I had 10 Dodge 2500 Ram vans, with 318s and a 360 in two.... almost all had either a blown top end or lower end at around 110,000 miles, and I was really really good about ALL service..  I also had about 6 rear ends on my last one... This was the year before the discontinuation of the Ram van... When I asked the Line mechanic why this van is going through rear ends he said " they knew the van was going to be discontinued, so they let the dies for the rear ends work way past their normal service life... they were not to proper spec...

If yours is still running well past the 110,000 mark... your my hero...

Good to know...

I'll likely be on to this little guy by then:

post-379-0-97189800-1373565214_thumb.jpg

post-379-0-25949000-1373565233_thumb.jpg

'68 Dodge A100... replaced the 225CI slant-6 with a 360, block-hugger headers, B&M racing trans... with a driveline that's literally shorter than my forearm, it chirps every gear.  It's gonna be painted soon -- the brightest, most pearlescent metal flake disco orange you can imagine.  And then brushed nickel and either teak or mahogany inside.  Baby Moons and white-walls with curb-feelers... yup.

~tt

They are a 1975 BMW R90/6 and a 2013 BMW K1600GTL. I am amazed how much gear I can pack on the K1600!

www.matthewfreed.com

The K1600 is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of size, mobility and luggage support for getting to LA gigs.

When you have all your gear packed up, how many road cases do you use? 

Cheers, 

Evan

The K1600 is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of size, mobility and luggage support for getting to LA gigs.

When you have all your gear packed up, how many road cases do you use?

Cheers,

Evan

When I take the bike I typically don't use road cases. I'll pack things in to backpacks and run bags. The gigs I do on the bike are things that involve a small 3 channel mixer, a couple wireless, and boom. Probably hops, and are known in terms of the location, duration, etc. I've done a lot of sit-down interviews with a talking head where I need one boom, one wireless, and I bring a light stand, knuckle, and boom cradle.

The R1200GS is also a good bike for packing gear.

www.matthewfreed.com

post-411-0-97179000-1373763498_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-61707700-1373765025_thumb.jpg

Here's my trailer - 5x8 - fits in a garage and can easily be detached and moved around and tucked in a corner somewhere for day jobs. It's even been pushed on stage!

My carts go down one side, cases go on the other, and a few extra bits go down the middle if I need more stuff.

This will likely be up for sale in the next year, as will the Explorer.

Robert