Zaxcom TRX remote frequency changing?

guynoir

Hi All,

Ok, I've seen in the version notes where remote transmitter frequency changing is supposedly possible with the Zaxcom wireless transmitters. This feature is at best undocumented beyond the rev. notes. Does it really exist, and how does one do such a thing!?

I've got TRX900LAs, a 942 and IFB100

Thanks,

John

You can remotely change frequencies, adjust the transmitter's gain, put the transmitter to sleep, wake the transmitter up, and have it brew a delicious cup of coffee on a cold winter day. 

NOTE:  Remote coffee brewing is not yet implemented.  It'll reportedly be ready by NAB.

There are various threads either here or on the Zaxcom forum about how to set up a transmitter to do such things.

I was reminded of this fact when I had remotely powered off a trx900lt (trying to match a 5hr battery life with a 6hr "morning").  when asked to awaken,  it would not. the transmitter was buried in a spanx-type garment and not accessible.  fortunately,  it was the actress' close-up....

ao

Although the range of the remote control is anything but limitless

Did it run out of battery life while in Low Power mode? LOW2 uses approximately 50% power. 'Start in Remote Boot' mode uses 25%.

I was reminded of this fact when I had remotely powered off a trx900lt (trying to match a 5hr battery life with a 6hr "morning").  when asked to awaken,  it would not. the transmitter was buried in a spanx-type garment and not accessible.  fortunately,  it was the actress' close-up....

ao

• 4 weeks later...

Did it run out of battery life while in Low Power mode? LOW2 uses approximately 50% power. 'Start in Remote Boot' mode uses 25%.

I was in low2,  and the battery did show life,  although with lithium batteries,  that can be misleading towards the end of it's life. thanks for the remote boot tip. 

ao

I was in low2,  and the battery did show life,  although with lithium batteries,  that can be misleading towards the end of it's life. thanks for the remote boot tip. 

ao

Just for clarification, I named it wrong. The menu setting is 'Boot up in' and the options are 'Normal Mode', 'Standby Mode' and 'Remote Standby'. You want Remote Standby, and then you need to send a 'Wake' command to start it up - using the standard 'ON' command doesn't do it.

For the IFB100 to control your transmitters, you need to have both the GROUP CODE and UNIT CODE set on both the IFB100 and the transmitters.  If you want to control, for instance, three transmitters, set the GROUP CODE to 1 (or whatever number you choose) on all the transmitters and on the IFB100.  If you wish to be able to control each transmitter individually, set the UNIT CODE to a different number for each transmitter.

Note:  To change a transmitter's frequency via an IFB100, you need to select which transmitter.

In other words, if:

REMOTE CONTROL

UNIT  ID=ALL

then the frequency set option won't show up.  If you select, let's say, transmitter #3 as follows:

REMOTE CONTROL

UNIT  ID=0003

then you can hit menu until you reach the screen that says:

REMOTE CH ###.#

UNIT  ID=3  000

(###.#, of course is a frequency.)  If you use the up and down arrow keys you can set this to another frequency and the corresponding number transmitter will switch to that frequency.