NOMAD had a problem, what do you think happened?

FaxBook

I was doing a job today, a documentary, with a NOMAD 10.  I've had it for about 6 months and haven't had an ounce of problems with it, love the thing.  Today, after about an hour into an interview, during a 22 minute long take, audio cut out, and the NOMAD just froze like a crappy PC from the 90s or something.  Wouldn't respond, wouldn't cut, had to shut it down.  On restarting, luckily the file recovery program recovered the file successfully where it had cut out.  Thank god for that system btw.  Listened to the file and it seemed ok.  Rolled again, thinking I was ok, then 30 seconds later, nomad makes high pitched tone and freezes again.  Restart again, and again, recovers file.  I quickly change the primary folder to a new primary folder and turn mirroring off because I had a weird feeling it had something to do with it.  The rest of the interview went ok.  Then, after the interview, remirrored the entire card just to be safe.  While mirroring the problem sequence, the mirroring froze on 82 percent, yet the mixer didn't freeze.  Crossed my fingers and tried remirroring one more time and luckily it was fine.  And all the audio is there and there was no problem.  Short of the takes cutting out when they did.  

What do you think happened?  I've never run into anything like this before.  Do you think it had something to do with my mirroring?  I had it on, not on continuous.  It was pretty hot out and we were doing long takes but i've never known the NOMAD to be temperamental to that sort of thing.  It was hot but it wasn't like the desert.  Do you think my nomad is messed up?  Should I maybe factory reset just to be sure?  Has anyone had this happen?  

If you are running 5.16 and your DSP speed is set to NORMAL in the Advanced menu then it should NEVER crash.

If this is the case we should look at it at the factory. It may be that the hot temperature was exacerbating an intermittent connection somewhere.

-howy

If you are running 5.16 and your DSP speed is set to NORMAL in the Advanced menu then it should NEVER crash.

If this is the case we should look at it at the factory. It may be that the hot temperature was exacerbating an intermittent connection somewhere.

-howy

In regards to temp. how hot can our Nomads/QRX's run? I noticed my units getting very hot to the touch on these hot summer days. I've almost considered keeping icepacks (the solid plastic ones) in my bag but wasn't sure if that would screw things up??

In regards to temp. how hot can our Nomads/QRX's run? I noticed my units getting very hot to the touch on these hot summer days. I've almost considered keeping icepacks (the solid plastic ones) in my bag but wasn't sure if that would screw things up??

Nomad will run pretty hot till possible problems occur. Howy has mentioned that you are safe till at least 140 F - at that point you would physically burn you hand on the case.

Nothing to worry about heat. I  used nomad and qrx100 in 118f two weeks ago without a problem...

Check a different card for the master and mirror.

I would do a factory restore defaults and use a different media just in case.

Our version 5.16 has no way to lock up. If it happens again contact us directly and we will assist. With our current software version there is no chance of it being a software issue.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

All computers, operating systems, and computer-driven devices will crash at some point. I finally had what I call a "partial crash" on the 788 the other day: menus not quite functional, items displayed with some graphics missing, selecting menus not possible. Gave it a boot to the head inbetween breaks... all was fine. Crap happens. 

We were on a very hot (at least 100+ degrees) stage, running 7 out of 8 internal preamps, machine very hot. I bet it did better than certain digital cameras, even those with fans.

• 1 month later...

I had my Nomad 10 over heat and sieze up on me on a job. I was running 5.16. The ambient air temperature was 93F. I was in direct sun for 20 minutes, in standby mode, then back in full shade, when the sieze happened. I did a reboot and had the startup screen text giving me red text for the temperatures and telling me that I was in an overheat situation. I didn't freeze the readout to see what the internal temperatures were; I hadn't shifted to my reading glasses.I waited a tense 5 minutes before the machine cooled enough for that blaring tone in the headphones to abate, and to allow the machine to resume recording. To help cool it I put a spacer between the portabrace bag and the machine, and also raised it up out of the bag to get air around it. I had Howy on the phone while this was going on to make suggestions. He told me to change the processors speed from its default to normal. I didn't have the overheat lock up at the new, slower, setting. Mirroring will take way longer at this slower setting.

Other than changing the processors speed setting I don't know what machine operating setups would affect, at what temperature an overheated situation occurs, or how much heat is generated.  There does seem to be a range between machines and not a specific temperature for all. My machine seems to be on the low range for this. In the future I would like to see a page where I could monitor temperatures while I'm booted up, and not just on the startup screen.

Interesting how those 5 minutes that it took to cool down seemed liked 15 minutes; with all the cameras rolling and everyone waiting on sound.

qrx100s get hot but have never failed on me. Again up to 119f. Just took maxx in over 120f 100% humidity for almost 4 hours. Everything was fine...

I highly doubt the nomad froze because of the temperature. I have run it for 10 hours in 119f.

I have however seen the red temperature but never worried me.

Actually, Howy told me personally, via phone, at the time of the incident, that Nomads each have variances of toleration to heat. He has tested a sample of these machines for this tolerance. I recall that he mentioned that this point was 140F for one machine tested, and over 150F for another. My red lettered start up screen first read 'overheated condition', and then changed to red letters, and temperature read out, only; no longer reading 'overheated', when it would allow operating, and recording again. And also without the warning tone. Yes, the red font for temperatures is common on a warmish day. On subsequent days the internal temps would regularly be 120F to mid 120's. I wasn't taking chances. I rigged grip equipment to have the machine in shade, and did a full venting of the sides of the Nomad, in the shoulder bag.         -And I do like my Nomad, very much,  -Thank You Howy!