Trx900LA for documentary film

Miguel Carretero

power and dust and recording hours shouldn't be much concern.One thing i do want to remind is : even you get all covered by all those,still be aware that the potentially the lemo connector/cable is very fragile, pay attention on that too.

This needs to be reiterated!!!

Be sure to bring backup lemo's, a soldering iron, lemo tool, and crimper. I've gone through so many lemo replacements that I should probably own stock in the company by now. I sure wish Zax was able to convert to the cheaper/easier to repair TA3. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This needs to be reiterated!!!

Be sure to bring backup lemo's, a soldering iron, lemo tool, and crimper. I've gone through so many lemo replacements that I should probably own stock in the company by now. I sure wish Zax was able to convert to the cheaper/easier to repair TA3.

A TA3 would be much appreciated.

Lemo 5 is truly a pain guys; we can´t even see where we are soldering; my retinas are burning out as I spent time at Pro Tools, and in the meanwhile conectors keep on going smaller each time; and what is worst; I went trough 90´s expending just XLR 3 and 4 pins; that was more than enough, then the sub Ds, then the lemos, the mjacks, the TAs, mini XLRs..... each year we are force to implement 10 different and new tipes of conectors... ufff. Last week I just met the new Epic Dragon with the tiny lemo.... sh......t!!!! I knew, I had read about it but, you know, each day I´m shooting ads for different production companies, and I´m used to know the specs only the very last minute! You have a camera on a set running fine and suddenly the jump off the truck with, who knows.... D20, 5D, Phantom, Alexa.....???? Please could you send a sound guy with a bag and some lavs over???? Sure!!! Lavs, clockits, backup, slate, ifbs, camera link..... Which version of Alexa exactly you said?????

I don't think a TA3 will ever fit in the Zaxcom transmitters. Sennheiser has used the same Lemo on all of their top tier wireless for years and years (I believe well before Zaxcom adopted that connector). I haven't had any trouble with my connectors (but then I don't even try and make repairs myself or wire anything up --- I leave that to the professionals). I would like to investigate the push-pull ones that Rado has always talked about, mostly because I think it would be easier to connect and disconnect particularly for those that are not that familiar with the plug on-twist type connection.

Rado, could you post a link for the push-pull connector source?

have not lost a single lemo since I converted to push pull

I'm also using the push-pull connector as well and it has been solid thus far. The only breakage I had was when talent tried to "unscrew" my push-pull connector from the Tx and ripped it apart...

I don't think a TA3 will ever fit in the Zaxcom transmitters.

Why not? It's diameter is not that much larger then the widest part of the Lemo. 

Leaving it to professionals cost quite a bit of change. The last cable I had repaired cost $71 for a new connector. 

I was told by the guys at Audio Department that the push/pull Lemo is very hard to get. So yes, Rado please share your source. 

Why not? It's diameter is not that much larger then the widest part of the Lemo. 

Leaving it to professionals cost quite a bit of change. The last cable I had repaired cost $71 for a new connector. 

I was told by the guys at Audio Department that the push/pull Lemo is very hard to get. So yes, Rado please share your source. 

Got a bunch here in town from a friend who used to have a store.

miguel, if you're an iphone /ipad /or ipod touch user, there's an app called Jumpstart LTC that's designed for this specific purpose, loading TC and user bits into devices that have no way of setting TC internally.

Thx Scott! Just taking a look to it. I think I can give It a chance though I am already using TC Toolbox, LTC READER, etc

Thx!

Username bubbadog?

As far as I know that is Wilcox Sound, and those are NOT genuine Lemo.

They work, but certain construction details seem cheap.

You're correct on all accounts.

I was only trying to show the difference between them. Sorry, I should have stated that. It was late and I took the easy way by grabbing an eBay photo. I shoulda been more careful.

And I agree with you, the knockoffs don't work as well as genuine Lemos.

I don't think a TA3 will ever fit in the Zaxcom transmitters. Sennheiser has used the same Lemo on all of their top tier wireless for years and years (I believe well before Zaxcom adopted that connector). I haven't had any trouble with my connectors (but then I don't even try and make repairs myself or wire anything up --- I leave that to the professionals). I would like to investigate the push-pull ones that Rado has always talked about, mostly because I think it would be easier to connect and disconnect particularly for those that are not that familiar with the plug on-twist type connection.

. I would like to investigate the push-pull ones that Rado has always talked about, mostly because I think it would be easier to connect and disconnect particularly for those that are not that familiar with the plug on-twist type connection.

the push-pull connector is the one recommended in the zaxcom user's manual:

NOTE: All of the diagrams in this chapter show the solder side of each connector.

NOTE: The following 3-pin micro-LEMO connectors mate with the microphone connector:

 FGB.00.303.CLAD.22 – has a latch with a pull release. (HIGHLY recommended for RFI prevention)

 FVB.00.303.NLA – has a latch with a twist release.

ao

I got 5 cos11 last may wired with the screw type. They all failed by the end of the summer. So I decided to convert them to the push pull. That was September last year? They have been working without a failure 5 days a week since then.

When I lav somebody I throw the trx900la in his or hers shirt holding the lav cable. 

Another advantage is that micing and demicing people is so fast. 

I would never go back to screw type.

This is how my lemo looks:

About the TRX900LA recording, I´ve found something a bit unconfortable that I shouldn´t miss to share. Everybody knows Zaxcom is recording media using its own file (.zax). Well, they manage to record 24 hours/24 bit/ 48kHz on a single 4Gb card, but if you do a simple math you´ll see that you´ll get much more than 4 Gbs when converted to aif, bwf or wav (24/48). This means OS needs to chop these files into smaller ones, not bigger than 4Gbs. And this cause a little clicking on the audio at that very moment.