MOTU 828mk3 FW Interface

I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to work with the latest MOTU 828mk3 FW interface? I need an affordable 8-channel A/D converter only (don't need mic pre-amps) and this looks pretty good. In particular I am interested in using it in location recording instead of a Traveler (slightly cheaper and I understand it is not capable of battery operation).

1. What should I use for a timecode source in long takes for video sync?

2. Thinking of purchasing Boom Recorder also, so how would I set the FW interface for a stable timebase?

Mark Calice

I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to work with the latest MOTU 828mk3 FW interface? I need an affordable 8-channel A/D converter only (don't need mic pre-amps) and this looks pretty good. In particular I am interested in using it in location recording instead of a Traveler (slightly cheaper and I understand it is not capable of battery operation).

1. What should I use for a timecode source in long takes for video sync?

2. Thinking of purchasing Boom Recorder also, so how would I set the FW interface for a stable timebase?

Mark Calice

I used to think that the 828s were inferior to the Traveler/8Pre/Ultralite boxes in all ways, but since the Mk3 is a new version maybe they are using the same electronics in all of them.  Worth a listen for sure, but as you said, AC only.  Several choices for ext. TC are around, a good cheap stable one is a Denekce SB2.  The 828 will generate TC itself, but then you'd need an external clock source.  That's a bit harder, but the 828 can clock itself to incoming TC via MOTU's software.  Since that's how BR can see the TC anyhow, that's what I'd advise.

Philip Perkins