3 channel (or more) mixer for extreme temperature conditions?

cory

I've used both Sound Devices and Zaxcom mixers and recorders in temperatures ranging from 120 Fahrenheit down to negative 35 (yup, -35). Both company provide solid gear that works in extreme temperatures.

LCD screens tend to be a bit sluggish in extreme cold and all the gear radiates additional heat. I took a heat sensing gun to my Zaxcom Fusion 12 when the air temperature was 110 and the recorder showed 136 degrees and it was operating just fine.

For a small recorder and/or mixer I would highly recommend a SD302 or MixPre-D or a Zaxcom Nomad (especially if you also need a recorder)

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I've  had my Sound Devices 442 down to  -50° C.

Worked fine.

Try uncoiling a cable at that temperature though...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Uncoiling is fine just do it quickly when you get out of your vehicle.  Problem is after they are out they don't want to coil back up.  

Never done a -50 but did have to coil a bunch of ccu cables after a multi-cam shoot in what was probably -20 or -30F felt like I was breaking kindling the entire way until we got them in sections short enough to melt in the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme temperatures and hard disks are often not a good match because of their physical nature. Ssd and flash card memory type should be more robust. Also some tools could experience problems when going in and out of the cold from condensation building in.

When coming back inside from filming in subzero temperatures i leave my nomad on for a bit so heat get rid of the humidity building in. I feel it s the right thing to do. Does that make sense?

Also for mics i like to let them dry outside of their case before storing them.

My .02