Why on earth would they make a video like that? It's a joke, right?

If not, the base "room tone" is obscenely loud, and therefore the fan examples are too. Why not have an example where the camera is in a "normal" room with someone saying "this is a RED one", talking at a normal level with the camera 5ft away. Then be silent for a few seconds. Then "this is a RED one with new plate" - etc.

This video is nonsense.

Wait so the "new bottom fan" is this, right? 

If so, the new fan seems kinda buzzy. Doesn't seem like an improvement. 

Your base room tone is pretty loud. 

Your mike is really close to the camera (he says 20cm away in the video). Yeah I get it (camera-mounted) but it might be exacerbating quieter noises maybe? At least give us one at a regular boom-microphone-kind-of-distance because I'm seriously starting to wonder if the new fans are a major disappointment.... 

EDIT: Listening to it a few more times, It does seem like the FanPlate by Sonosax with the original RED fan wins....

This is not a normal room tone as it has been pushed to the max the closest to the front of the camera. It's to get an idea what is the difference between different setups.

IMHO the lasts clips are the most convincing in favor of using the FanPlate.

Pat

Hmm so is the roomtone coming from the camera or from the room? I assume the RED cameras never turn their fans off. 

Edited by srab1138

I'd imagine the room tone is with the RED completely off, the only time the fans stop.

The film I'm currently working on is being shot on the Epic, so far I've had no problem with the fan and it's currently set to 40, but it is mostly being shot at 50, 75, and 100mm, and I'm replying more on my lavs at the moment. 

Hello,

An Epic Fan higher as 35% in quiet situation is not admissible for me (Even as a DP).

For dead Quiet sound stages closer than 1,5m from the actor it has to be between 25% and 30%.

The room tone in this video was made with the camera swiched off.

The camera was even closer than 20cm (maybe 15cm) but the aim was to hear the difference between setups and not to reproduce a "normal" shooting condition.

Just to remember, the Epic set at 25% is as quiet as an Alexa.

Pat

And to echo what Steven says above, note that Arri released an update earlier in the year which made the Alexa quieter than it was before. Not all owner/operators and rental houses have the upgrade yet, but it's out there. We have yet to hear the Alexa on our current shoot -- the location noise drowns it out.  banghead.gif

Note also that Patrick's FanPlate has been discussed quite a bit on the Red User Group, and I've been disappointed that the Red company has deleted some comments and pushed the discussion to the background -- one suspects because Red has their own new Epic fan upgrade they're offering. I'm convinced that Patrick knows what he's doing and has done the research and measurements to do this right. I'm also not convinced that fan noise, sound, and timecode are very high on Red's list of priorities... though they are aware of it and are making some effort towards reducing these problems.

Hello,

Just to remember, the Epic set at 25% is as quiet as an Alexa.

Pat

This has not been my experience at all.  You'll recall that Larry mentioned the type of sound the camera makes is a factor as important as the level of noise the camera makes.  The RED is far more "noticeable" than the Alexa.  And the Alexa doesn't decide to simply get louder when temperatures on stage or outside here in Southern California start to get a bit warm, or when the director decides not to cut between takes and fills an 11 or 22 minute "mag".

Hello,

Ok I'll forget to try to convice that an Epic can be as quiet as an Alexa. Not my mission here.

Well I've now an answer from RED about my New Bottom Fan making more noise. My new bottom fan could have an issue and I'll have to send it in.

Three lessons:

- I'll get back to you once I got a replacement fan to get it clear if it's just mine wich has a defect.

- There can be some difference between items of the same model. Hope you are a lucky one that gets the good one.

- Test it out. Nothing is good "out of the box". = prepping is key like in the old days with 35mm, just other priorities.

Pat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Ok I'll forget to try to convice that an Epic can be as quiet as an Alexa. Not my mission here.

Well I've now an answer from RED about my New Bottom Fan making more noise. My new bottom fan could have an issue and I'll have to send it in.

Three lessons:

- I'll get back to you once I got a replacement fan to get it clear if it's just mine wich has a defect.

- There can be some difference between items of the same model. Hope you are a lucky one that gets the good one.

- Test it out. Nothing is good "out of the box". = prepping is key like in the old days with 35mm, just other priorities.

Pat.

On reduser others mention that the fans individually may be louder than the old fan. It's your money I know, but it may not be as quiet as it's supposed to be without both the top and bottom fans. 

• 1 month later...

On reduser others mention that the fans individually may be louder than the old fan. It's your money I know, but it may not be as quiet as it's supposed to be without both the top and bottom fans. 

Well, I've done a new test today, and here can be your answer. Tell me what you think?

This test compares all existing cooling solutions for the Epic/Scarlet cameras.

Enjoy.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't even know you did another one. Yep FanPlate definitely wins :)

I guess it's not a surprise Sonosax would make something quieter than RED. It is sad that RED still can't release a decently quiet fan though. However, that adaptive temperature control to 70 degrees thing is good. 

Along with that blimp, any other way to maximize quietness on this noisy beast? 

I was going to recommend these new fans to a director to put on his production company's EPICs (you know for my sake on his next project)... Why is it so much more buzzy with the new top and bottom fans? 

Edited by srab1138

Why is it so much more buzzy with the new top and bottom fans? 

Hello Karim Sawrab,

I don't know... but my hint would be : Smaller fans means faster rpm for the same amount of air throughoutput wich means noisier fan...

I don't know if I'm way off but it's my logic. The FanPlate uses a big 60x60x25mm fan.

The good thing with the FanPlate, is that you can upgrade the fan yourself as fan tech is improoving. (if you know how to solder, buy the standard 60x60x25 12v Fan).

After testing various quiet fans we choose the best one. I'm ordering other to see if the evolution is getting better noise emproovement.

But frankly, the FanPlate is getting the recording noise level of the Epic at the same level (or better) as the best blimped 35/16mm cameras. Well... if people are used to shoot with the 5D it's another story.

See you.

Pat

But frankly, the FanPlate is getting the recording noise level of the Epic at the same level (or better) as the best blimped 35/16mm cameras. Well... if people are used to shoot with the 5D it's another story.

Can't ask for more than that! Congrats, Patrick -- I hope more people will use the FanPlate and will spread the word.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...