Getting started

Hi people, sorry for posting so soon after registering. I'm currently trying to get as much experience as possible of working with sound teams for moving picture, be that film sets, shorts, tv, broadcast etc... as I'm sure none of you will be surprised to know I am finding it very very difficult to get any experience whatsoever even for free. This is very frustrating but sadly not surprising, I just wondered if anyone on here would have any form of advice or anything that may help me at all, as to be honest, I am getting desperate!

My background is mostly is music technology sadly but within the last year I've wanted to at least see how the motion picture side of things works and get some experience in this field. I should stress I'm not hanging my hat on or expecting to gain a career in the industry just yet but more looking to know what the work is actually like in more depth, from the small bits of experience I have had I have found it very rewarding and enjoyable. 

I've been trying to get on any local productions, tv sets, shorts, hire companies and outside broadcast companies and have to be honest had barely anything but a straight knock back! Anything about how some of you got into work (particularly in the uk!) or anything else would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome,

This has been discussed plenty before here. Do some reading first. Just google what ou want to know with "jwsoundblog" and you ll find plenty of info. ( i m so turning into senator.. )

What s been key for me is finding a mentor that s been involved in the game or a bit. Accept to work for free for that person.

Also just try to get onset and establish some contacts within the industry. Even if it s not in the sound dpt.

It s a bit of a long road before it pays so keep a sideline.

Goodluck!

hi, and welcome...

I suggest Google, using "jwsoundgroup.net" as the first search term,   and maybe some terms like newbie, beginner, novice,  get experience, etc, as search terms, as yours is a pretty much typical early post from inexperienced new members...

it is real competitive out there...

keep reading, and maybe PM some of your neighborhood UK members...

Experience comes with time, and a good amount of it. It's a little strange that you're desperate to learn this craft. Is it for financial reasons? Because if it is, it could be many years before you start to make a living working in production sound. Entry level positions like a sound utility hardly exist on small projects which is where you'll likely start.

Experience comes with time, and a good amount of it. It's a little strange that you're desperate to learn this craft. Is it for financial reasons? Because if it is, it could be many years before you start to make a living working in production sound. Entry level positions like a sound utility hardly exist on small projects which is where you'll likely start.

No it's not for financial reasons, I've just found that I'm less keen to work in music these days than 2 or so years ago, and the little experience I have had of production sound (university, short film) that I enjoyed the work a lot more, I'm aware that I will more than likely never be able to gain work in the area I just at present want to at least know more about what it's like and that I gave it a go. I'm finding it very frustrating how hard it is to follow through on any advice I have been given such as gaining experience on shorts etc... not with the fact that I'm yet to gain any paid work (this is something I've not even thought of yet). I enjoy working in sound and the environment about it, also after speaking to a few local boom opps, recordists etc... It does seem that the work is out there but as I say that's not what I am thinking of at the minute, all I want at present to get on some sets and learn more about it. 

will do the google searches tonight!

perhaps you ought to tell us a bit more about yourself, to five us a clearer picture...

while I frequently note that working on student films, and low budget projects is a source of bad habits and misconceptions about how real  movies are really made,  they are a path to some experience;  also, getting on a real movie's set as a production assistant can be hugely valuable, as well as real student internships (if you are a real student).  sometimes even the less legitimate internships can be of some value...

+1 for finding an older industry vet.  I have had to Break in twice in two markets due to a cross country move.  The best thing for me was to find somebody who was closer to the end of his career who needed help.  And pick up a few jobs with him.  Where I met more people who found me sufficiently competent to either hire or recommend.  And so goes the cycle.  By the way I work mostly on the broadcast & Corporate eng side.  And am hired exclusively via personal recommendation.  For both the camera op/dp side of my business and audio.

perhaps you ought to tell us a bit more about yourself, to five us a clearer picture...

while I frequently note that working on student films, and low budget projects is a source of bad habits and misconceptions about how real  movies are really made,  they are a path to some experience;  also, getting on a real movie's set as a production assistant can be hugely valuable, as well as real student internships (if you are a real student).  sometimes even the less legitimate internships can be of some value...

OK yer sorry not been great with info here!

Right yer I studied at Salford University where I did Popular Music and Recording, I chose the recording strand so most stuff I did was heavily recordings based, this included sound design, sound to moving picture, radio plays etc.. as well as music based stuff such as overdub and studio recordings. I've since graduating just wanted to get as much experience as possible, I've done a lot of composing, live sound engineering, studio engineering and the like since, I've enjoyed this type of work but to be honest grown a little tired of it and also (although I realise production sound is similar) have found that work in music just doesn't seem to really exist. 

I'm after experience in production sound purely because it's something I've long been interested in and want to experience, I've also greatly enjoyed what experience I have managed to gain, If it is possible I may try to pursue it as a career but atm I just want to know about it to decide If to go for it or not by learning more about the work! I'm aware this probably sounds stupid. I'm not going for financial gain with looking into production work, it's purely because it's something I'm very interested in and would like to at least understand more.

I'm sorry this is so badly written, finding it very hard to get exactly what I think down in writing!