Opinions on T.H.E. hypers...

tim apter

Hi everyone,

Discovered the T.H.E. microphones recently, and have been hearing all sorts of claims about them (most notably that they cost way less than a Schoeps mk41 but approach it in terms of performance)... I also heard you used them on Samurai - is that true Jeff? Or just internet rubbish?

Id be keen to hear what you folks think, as I cannot afford a Schoeps, but the T.H.E. fits in perfectly right now...

Hi everyone,

Discovered the T.H.E. microphones recently, and have been hearing all sorts of claims about them (most notably that they cost way less than a Schoeps mk41 but approach it in terms of performance)... I also heard you used them on Samurai - is that true Jeff? Or just internet rubbish?

Id be keen to hear what you folks think, as I cannot afford a Schoeps, but the T.H.E. fits in perfectly right now...

My name has been used and statements have been attributed to me that I never made. For the record, I do own one T.H.E. microphone but I never used it in production (my son has it now and he uses it sometimes for his music recordings). On the T.H.E. website there are statements signed by a "J. Wexler - on  location in Australia" that people have assumed refer to me working on "The Last Samurai." First of all, if I were to make those statements, which I did not, I would have asked that my full name, at least Jeff, be used, and would not have wanted my presence to appear as just "J. Wexler." Secondly, I have NEVER been "on location in Australia" for any movie shooting. "The Last Samurai" was shot in the U.S., Japan and New Zealand --- no Australian locations were used. So, that sets it right.

Now, as to the microphone, your original question, it is a good microphone but it is NOT a Schoeps. It is my feeling that for the money, if you are looking for a low cost microphone, the Octava is a better choice.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

thanks for clearing that up jeff... the THE is a lot more expensive than the Oktava.. about 3 times. Im not really looking for a low cost mic as such (the THE is around $600 - not expensive really, but also not quite cheap), just an upgrade to my Oktava. But if its closer in comparison to an oktava than to a schoeps, i think ill pass.

Thanks very much for the info, Jeff... it kinda puts me off the company anyway that they would use your name (and im DAMN sure they used initials to mislead people and be intentionally vague) on their claims. One price of production mixer celebrity status? :) anyway, thanks for the reply.