DPA Lavs

Morantzsound

Yes the bass cut is achieved acoustically by the design of the transducer and its enclosure....its the choice over the 4060 for dialog recording.

Around the bottom of enclosure is an opening that allows air movement...the principle is the same as blowing across the top of a bottle...you can create a resonance with a healthy bottom end blowing over the mouth of the bottle...when you open the capsule enclosure to air movement out the bottom,you lose that resonance...so thats why the bass cut works on the 4071.

I started using the DPA lavs several years ago when I began using the Zaxcom wireless and my Sanken COS-11 lavs did not work properly with the digital wireless. Sanken has since upgraded the COS-11 to the COS-11D which works fine and is very much immune to RF. I continue to use the DPAs because I really love the sound. I had never even heard about the concealers so thanks for mentioning that. I made my own concealers, cages sort of, in 1972 to faciliatate mounting the mic on an actress where we were having lots of noise problems. It is nice to see that DPA provides this as an accessory. I am sure they are VERY expensive, oh well.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I know this is an off-shoot question to the DPA posts, but is there a similar concealer for the Cos 11s, or is the vampire clip the way to go with t-shirts and alike?  Basically, what is best for the Cos 11?  Sorry to deviate...

Thanks Steve!  That is a very useful answer.  I went ahead and ordered the 4061's.  I can freely pull the presence boost off when needed and put back when I need.  I will see how they go for (somewhat stealth) FX collection first.  Then I'll try them on some productions.  Down the road, I'll pick up the 4071's.

Appreciate the responses and the forum.

Tom

Was surprised to see this topic pop back up after a year and a half plus, after listening to tests online of different microphones and talking with many people, I decided not to purchase any DPA's for the time being.  I continue to use the Sanken'swith great success and did pick up a couple of the Senn MKE-1's which are really tiny (and in my opinion sound a LOT better than the B6's for those certain situations where it needs to be more out in the open.

Steve

Hey Steve

Finally someone who has tried the MKE1. How does it compare to the MKE2 sound? Does it have caps to alter the freq response and does it have the same thin kevlar cable that the MKE platinum has?

Lastly what is the street price on them? I was thinking of picking up a couple.

Love to hear mnore about those.

Thanks

Jonathan Chiles

Hi Tuomas!

Agree on the DPA´s!

Sounding great... concealers working for fast and easy mounting.

I also use B6 for hair placement or open or "in plane site".

I am not the one to welcome to this wonderful place! :) ... but as a fellow Scandinavian.. Välkommen!

(we should make a post at "who I am today" to present our self (I have not done it yet:)

//Christian

Was surprised to see this topic pop back up after a year and a half plus, after listening to tests online of different microphones and talking with many people, I decided not to purchase any DPA's for the time being.  I continue to use the Sanken'swith great success and did pick up a couple of the Senn MKE-1's which are really tiny (and in my opinion sound a LOT better than the B6's for those certain situations where it needs to be more out in the open.

Steve

hmm. curious that you say that about the b6 compared to the mke1. i had an mke1 on loan last year and put it side by side with a b6 and couldnt tell any difference between them soundwise, but felt the sennheiser cable was a little quieter when i rubbed it between my fingers.

but i decided that i couldnt justify spending that much money on a mic i dont particularly like and would very rarely use. at the time the mke1 was £40 more than a dpa or a b6.

I use mostly Sanken COS-11 and Countryman B6, but I have one DPA 4061 wired for MM400 (WP connector).  Not the easiest to hide, but I LOVE the sound. Different lavs for different voices (and outfits, of course).  It is the best of any lav I've tried as a plant mic, when that is called for.

It was mentioned that the 4071 is also "low gain", like the 4061.  How similar is the output level?  MM400 requires a low-output lav. I use red band cos-11 and B6.  The 4061 is fine, but I have the transmitter at around 10 o'clock even with that one. If the 4071 is any hotter than the 4061, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Paul