setting the audio level on pmw-F5-CineAlta- 4K camera

I am having issues with setting the level on this camera.  

pmw-F5-CineAlta- 4K camera

The meters don't show decibels.  You can change the audio in the menu but it seems when I go to -20 it's lower than zero but setting it at Zero seems to low.

any help with this would be great.  Of course I am on a shoot right now and any info someone can help me with would be great!

Thanks!

Marla

May be too late now...

You have to keep coming back to the "status" menu in order to line up with the db scale. The "audio level" menu has a scale from -50 to +90 (or something like like that...i don't exactly remember), don't pay attention to this numbers....just go up or down and then check on the status menu to see where you are at in db....

Good luck! 

Both the F5 and F55 display audio levels on one of the status screens. But since there are no dedicated hardware level controls for audio input level, there's a separate screen for adjusting input levels. That screen handily obscures the audio status screen when you have it up, so there's a lot of menu swapping to get levels set. This kludgey system is supposed to be remedied in a firmware update eventually.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for all the info.

I ended up going into the menu setting and changing the level to +20.  When running my hops to the camera, hat seemed to be a good place on the status screen for about mid level when I popped up tone. When I plugged my hardline beta snake into the camera and ran tone, it seemed to fall into that same place.  I also tested a mic and tried to get the meter to peak at my loudest voice so I was comfortable that it wouldn't over modulate.

Right or wrong, that's what I did.

Thanks again for everyone's quick response!

Marla

I also tested a mic and tried to get the meter to peak at my loudest voice so I was comfortable that it wouldn't over modulate.

Also a viable technique.  I've used it frequently.  If your loudest peaks hit right below max, then you should be golden.  It's another variation of the method I mentioned earlier.