Advice buying Lectrosonics Wireless Systems Australia

audiobyadam

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I hope I am posting in the right section and if not I apologize in advance and will remove and repost in proper section.

I am an Australian (Sydney) based sound recordist and have been working as a location sound recordist for the past year. I have a basic setup of a Rode NTG3 mic, SD302 Mixer and a Tascam DR100 MKII.

I have hired extra equipment such as radio mics ( mainly the Sennheiser EW 100-ENG G3) and now I am very interested in buying some lectrosonics wireless systems, as I heard they are the best. However, I am highly confused at what I should buy and have a few questions for other Australian based sound recordists or anyone who can answer my general questions about Lectrosonics and which wireless systems I should purchase.

The wireless systems will be used for on location and studio recording. Feature film and television

Which blocks perform the best in Australia? In particular in Sydney?

Which transmitters and receivers are best value for money? No budget just best value for money.

Also what’s the performance difference of the UM400AAU transmitter block 25 and the LMAAU transmitter B25 also…As there is a $400 price difference as you can see on this website:

http://www.johnbarry.com.au/categories/audio/microphones

Also the super miniature transmitters on the page, are they any good for film and TV?

Which is the best microphone to put into each lectrsonics transmitter? budget around $300-$500

Can I use a dual reciever? E.g/ Lectrosonics SRA Dual reciever, as this would cut the cost of buying a reciever for each transmitter but is this reliable? Does anyone have experience with this?

Also I noticed I can't order from B & H (America based company) for transmitters or receivers even if they have the same frequency blocks as Australian based models. I assume it's because it needs to have some kind of Australian standrad compliance or something. Has any other Australian based sound recordist had this problem and still used gear that hasn't got AUS standard compliance, with no issues ?

As I could probably get a friend to purchase the items in the US then send them over in the post, just as people sell second hand gear made in the US to AUS based sound recordists on these forums.

Besides John Barry in Sydney where else can I buy some brand new lectrosonics wireless systems?

Thank you all in advance for your help and your answers, I really appreciate it!

Cheers!

Hi.

Welcome.

My first piece of advice is do some research.

This site has amazing amounts of information that will answer a lot of your questions.

Spend a large amount of time reading about real world experience of others in the many posts on this site.

Never buy something because you hear it is the best. These are opinions that differ due to personal taste.

Lectrosonics make excellent products, so does zaxcom, so does sennheiser, so does audio limited etc.

Read manuals and specifications of products which may explain the $400 difference in price.

If possible rent or borrow equipment and have a listen for yourself.

Microphone choice is also a personal taste, along with situational.

The ACMA regulate frequencies in Australia.

What works in some areas may not work in others.

There are a number of excellent products on the market these days and the choices are to some degree subjective and relative to the type of work you're doing or wanting to do.

Apart from John Barry there is also Lemac but I would definitely go and have a chat to the boys at Soundequip as they have all the best products, great product knowledge and are 100% audio.

http://www.soundequip.com.au/contact-us.htm

Cheers,

Steve

Hi, and Welcome...

" Feature film and television "

ok

" the super miniature transmitters on the page, are they any good for film and TV? "

" Can I use a dual reciever? "

" Does anyone have experience with this? " (DOH, of course!)

" Which is the best microphone to put into each lectrsonics transmitter? "

" Which transmitters and receivers are best value for money? "

it depends!

You really need to do a lot more research, as suggested, as you will need to make your own, personal, subjective decisions.

We folks suggest you visit and make friends with one of your local dealers for advice about major purchases like this, if at all possible.  Also, rent some options to see which best suits your needs...

" as I heard they are the best. "

BEWARE: I sense you are falling into a bad concept...

remember, it isn't about the hammer, it is about the carpenter!

The lower cost Sennheiser Evolution series is both popular, and capable, and a good fit with your current kit, that could easily remain useful even as you become more experienced --and you do seem to need more experience-- , and more demanding and move to even more capable equipment.

one additional thought...

here in the USA, the folks at our "usual suspects" professional dealers do not work on commissions, unlike the box houses (I won't mention any names, but the initials are B and H).

the experienced, professional advice they provide, and the customer service and follow-up are well worth any premium on the pricing; these folks deserve your support.

Blocks 24 and 26 seem to be most common for radio mics in Sydney but that may all change when the Digital Dividend comes into full force.

The government has already laid out the info on what frequencies will be dedicated to unlicensed RF users such as ourselves but its important to keep in mind that the other higher power RF sources that are currently operating in the spectrum may also come down to the space that we will be using and we may be left with very few / specific frequencies that are left over for us.

At this point its too hard to tell so only buy now if you absolutely need too.

Speak to Georgina from John Barry's or Ross from Lemac, If you are needing to buy immediately; Don't waist much time because you may be able to procure some of the stock from when our dollar was good.

You may need to outlay upto 20% more if you are buying product that was ordered after our dollar took a dive.

Products sold in the USA and Australia are identical (AFAIK) but due to manufacture restrictions from Lectrosonics; Dealers are not allowed to sell products across international borders, This is why you can't buy Lectro Gear from B&H (or any other dealer from another country)

This does not apply to second hand stock that international dealers my have in inventory.

If you really want, you could have an american friend send you the units but I would advise against this, Australian Customs could charge you a fee for duty, GST and other fines and it will end up being much more expensive, In my experience John Barrys and Lemac have been very competitive with USA RRPs and in most cases will sell you the product for the exact same amount (Converted into AUD) plus you are getting easy access to warranty, support and free loan units while your's is being repaired.

I recommend the Sanken COS11 Lapel microphones, These will fit right into your budgeted amounts. I have 6 of them and they are great, Most sound recordists use these because of their profile makes them easy to conceal, they are rugged and they are sound great.

Lectrosonics have just updated their SR receiver line from the SRA to the SRB, Make sure you buy the SRB instead of the SRA as it has vastly improved the unit for a number of reasons.

"Products sold in the USA and Australia are identical"

Not so, a few years ago output restrictions were placed on any RF emitting device available for sale in Australia........ I'm pretty sure we are limited to 100mW.

Sounds about right. Adam; Compatibility wise, There wont be any issues.

Lectro transmitters made for Australia can be identified with "AU" in it's model number. For example, UM400aAU.

Our tx are lower output than the USA models. Ours measure 50 mW at the antenna port (SMA) but actually radiate around 100mW from the antenna itself.

A tech and myself, measured an older UM400 I have and it was 100mW at the antenna port.

There's only 3db difference from the US models so the difference wouldn't be too noticeable.

Buying locally is recomended. We need to support local stores so they can continue to have what we want, when we want it.

I always try to buy large purchases locally, radio mics, recorders etc.

I will admit, I have purchased from overseas before but only out of necessity and time restrictions/availability. Never big ticket items though.

OP, call Georgina at John Barry's, she will sort you out.

Regards

Peter Mega

" If you know what you want Murray Tregonnings & Associates are also Lectro dealers. "

even if you don't know what you want Murray Tregonnings & Associates are also Lectro dealers.

Can you imagine how much success with women you would have if you applied your energetic sense of spirit and charisma to an online dating site? 

Murray Tregonnings & Associates have often been the best prices if you're not in a rush. They have great back up support too. Common approach in Sydney is a couple for radios in blk26 and ifb in 24.

I also bought some SMQV from Sound Equip, which being 250mw, some people are not sure about in Australia...

Breaks down like this, okay: its legal to buy it, its legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a sound shop and it has a C-tick, its legal to sell it. It's illegal to use it, unless you have site licence, but that doesnt really matter 'cause, get a load of this, if you get stopped by the cops in Sydney, it's illegal for them search you.

Dave Sims