Schoeps and heat?

Michiel

Schoeps finally showed it's true nature.

What I was affraid of, has actually happened.

It happended the first time on a shoot, "thankfully" only for half a minute and on an unimportant moment.

Today, about 25 Celcius in the shadow, I tried to record some bees in flowers. No wind, so no rycote this time.

And it happened again, but this time seriuous: Non stop rumble and noise. When I put it inside the house, it stopped after a while.

Since both situations where in high temperatures (but not extremely hot) I was wondering if Schoeps can't handle heat. Because in both situations, it wasn't moist at all.

Should I send it in for warranty?

I've been using this Schoeps MK 41 on a CMC 6U for over a year now without trouble.

But now it has started. There has always been the fear, because a lot of the Schoeps mic's on the film school had similar problems. Situations like this really make me wonder why the **** I don't just use a cheap a** microphone that is actually reliable... Edit: sorry for that...

Attached is a sound sample as MP3. It is an MS recording, the CCM-8 kept on working fine. During the recording I turn the volume down to get it out of the limiter.

Edit: I just tried it again at 27 Celcius in the shadow, holding the mic in the sun and it kicked in like an atomic bomb after about 30 seconds.

Schoeps rumble.mp3

OK thanks, I guess it's broken then.

I also lied the Schoeps CCM8 and a Rode NT5 (backup) in the sun and they had no problems.

@Olle: The first time this happened was with rycote on. I put it off (but with pop foam) to get closer to the bees ;)

"I've been using this Schoeps MK 41 on a CMC 6U for over a year now without trouble.

But now it has started. There has always been the fear, because a lot of the Schoeps mic's on the film school had similar problems. Situations like this really make me wonder why the **** I don't just use a cheap a** microphone that is actually reliable..."

Why is it that when someone has a problem that is exactly what they have "feared" all along was going to happen finally happens, they seem to be willing to damn the whole thing. For the record, I have been using Schoeps for over 30 years and have rarely ever had any problem in any working environment. If you're more comfortable using a cheap microphone that you think is more reliable no one is going to stop you.

"I've been using this Schoeps MK 41 on a CMC 6U for over a year now without trouble.

But now it has started. There has always been the fear, because a lot of the Schoeps mic's on the film school had similar problems. Situations like this really make me wonder why the **** I don't just use a cheap a** microphone that is actually reliable..."

Why is it that when someone has a problem that is exactly what they have "feared" all along was going to happen finally happens, they seem to be willing to damn the whole thing. For the record, I have been using Schoeps for over 30 years and have rarely ever had any problem in any working environment. If you're more comfortable using a cheap microphone that you think is more reliable no one is going to stop you.

True. I guess I am just unlucky. Sorry for that last sentence, it may be a bit like 'ranting'. That's what you get when you start writing right after it happens.. ;) But I had many problems with Schoeps mics from the Dutch film school, but I finally choose Schoeps after all for the sound, and in the belief that the mic sets from the film school had been mistreated. And the fact that something like a Zoom H2n is more reliable than a microphone ten times the cost (make that 30 times for MS rig) is something I can't grasp.

In any case, my trust in Schoeps is gone again after this. I also found out that I actually own the mic for 3/4 year (not over a year as I thought), thats good news for warranty :)

The original post screams "novice"!

1. Never use a Schoeps (or any really sensitive mic, for that matter) without wind protection. Even inside, at least a foamy. Outside, always at least a Softie, and more in most cases.

2. Professional gear needs care and maintenance. Have you ever cleaned the threads and contacts?

3. If a given tool isn't right for a particular person for a given job -- get the right tool.

4. Always carry backup.

5. Problem solving is a huge part of our job.

6. A pro would never opt for a cheapie when professional choices abound. The Sennheiser MKH series is designed to avoid environmental issues (but you still need wind protection.).

7. If you'd like, I'll swap you a "cheap a** microphone" for your Schoeps.

I'm in Washington DC and the average daytime high temperature the last couple of weeks has been 92 F or 33 C, humid enough last week that daytime heat indexes have been as high as 110 F some days. No problems at all with any of my Schoeps mics. I suspect #2 in John's post above or a failing component in your CMC6U. Even expensive stuff breaks (ask any owner of an exotic automobile) and it sounds like a trip to a qualified service depot for a check-up is in order.

If you store and transport your mic as separate pieces, cleaning the rings on the capsule and the contacts on the amplifier should be a part of your maintenance routine.

Best regards,

Jim

I just used my Schoeps CMC6/MK41 during the hottest week of the year  we've had so far here in Michigan. 6 days straight of 94-95 degree temps with heat index of 105 degrees, everyday exterior locations from sun up to sun down.  Unit never failed just continued to deliver that natural, Schoeps sound I love to hear. 

Yes, #2 above is a frequently reported issue with these mics and any other modular mic. I have heard the same about the Sennheiser MKH8000 series, although I have never had any issues myself with either mic. I too have several cheap mics I'd be willing to part with for your Shoeps

What a strange thread...

FWIW, I've used Schoeps microphones for 20+ years (CMC4's, CMC6's, CMIT5u) and aside from an occasional condensation issue (to be expected) they have all proven their worth time and again. It makes me curious what the OP is referring to when he says "true nature"... Schoeps hasn't become the industry standard that they are by having anything other than an absolutely superb "true nature"... like any fine instrument, they require care and service, but seriously - their reputation speaks for itself.

I don't want to bad mouth anyone, but yeah - it seems there might be a level of inexperience at work here, and to come out and speak to a substandard "true nature" about a company like Schoeps isn't too cool.

~tt

Usually, dirty contacts first start to crackle rather than rumble, so I'm not sure if it's #2. Excessive rumble makes me think of unsufficient wind protection - but you state that it started inside a zeppelin. I wouldn't rule these reasons out completely, though.

The noise starting after a while of getting warmer seems to point to a mechanical problem of some sort, like a contact or (worst case) the diaphragm coming loose. Did the mic ever drop to the floor, or suffer some other kind of impact?

I too have several cheap mics I'd be willing to part with for your Shoeps

Me too :)

Wind rumble? Did you listen to the attached sound file? ;)

I probably shouldn't have started this thread and hereby gently ask if it could be closed.

I am not inexperienced. Reading the comments here I can only conclude I have just lots of bad luck with Schoeps (never with any other brand). That's why I wrote 'true nature'. A am very careful with my equipment. And I'm not the only one having problems as my colleague students also suffered problems with the Schoeps sets of the film school.

Meanwhile I called the store to report a broken device. It's still making sounds rather than recording them so I guess something is totally broken. (I did check cables, inputs etc.)

The original post screams "novice"!

1. Never use a Schoeps (or any really sensitive mic, for that matter) without wind protection. Even inside, at least a foamy. Outside, always at least a Softie, and more in most cases.

2. Professional gear needs care and maintenance. Have you ever cleaned the threads and contacts?

3. If a given tool isn't right for a particular person for a given job -- get the right tool.

4. Always carry backup.

5. Problem solving is a huge part of our job.

6. A pro would never opt for a cheapie when professional choices abound. The Sennheiser MKH series is designed to avoid environmental issues (but you still need wind protection.).

7. If you'd like, I'll swap you a "cheap a** microphone" for your Schoeps.

Thanks for the feedback... I think ;) I'll have to go in defense a bit though.

1. I have a foam pop filter. However when recording music with the mic on a stand for example, no pro uses a pop filter since it adds coloring to the sound. Outside I always use the rycote, but in this case I was recording bees for fun and there was no wind, so I only used the foam to get closer to the bees.

2. The microphone and rycote is not even a year old and everything is as new, and I indeed did check it.

3. ?.. I think I'll stop here.

" Should I send it in for warranty? "

DOH!!

and you say: " I am not inexperienced."

that question alone reeks of inexperience, as does your constant referrals to your film school's equipment as comparisons.

and, BTW, Schoeps are not a particularly good choice for movies schools, as they are a bit more delicate and require more attention than other, less expensive options.

so, as for your particular unit: CRAP happens, and that is why quality products include warranties..

" when recording music with the mic on a stand for example, no pro uses a pop filter "

sorry, that is not so. with really sensitive mics, the foam takes care of air movement around the mic (especially outdoors, even if you feel no wind).. any coloration is trivial, and I would defy you to be able to hear any in a blind test.

" I've been using this Schoeps MK 41 on a CMC 6U for over a year now without trouble. "

like your experience, an exaggeration...

well,

CRAP happens.

get it fixed, then sell it and and apply the money for something more rugged..

maybe a cheap a**, like an Oktava.

'

Some of the replies here are kind of hostile, like I insulted them personally.

Also people asume I am some kind of amateur without even listening to the sound file.

I was only sharing a bad experience. it looks like only good experiences may be shared here. I'm kind of dissapointed...

No, shared bad experiences are very common here. No one has a problem with you sharing a bad experience. The problem more respondents were having (that includes me) was that you implied that Schoeps mics have a well-known reputation for these kinds of problems and you had been expecting this all along, when many here have used Schoeps mics for many years without any problems (that includes me again).

The other problem is that you were basing all this on your experience with college mics. Those are not exactly well-known for the best treatment of gear.

Yours just seemed like an unreasonable over-generalization

Ouch!

I had some trouble with a Schoeps and the heat. It was over 100 degrees as I recall and I went to record this Fotoplayer.

Two Mk 41 on a stereo bar. One of them was spitting and sputtering...... I had brought them in from my air conditioned car into house.

Switched that one out to backup Schoeps. My recording came out better than Huell Howser's  recording.

Check it out, Joe Rinaudo rebuilt this Fotoplayer and it's sitting in his living room in La Crescenta.

http://www.rinaudosreproductions.com/antique-photoplayer.html

It can happen to any microphone, not just Schoeps. You need to have a backup plan.

If you had the mics indoors, in air conditioning and then brought them right out to a hot day, it could be a problem.  Best to get a Schoeps acclimated if the change in environment is extreme.  

Also, did you make sure that the capsule and body were threaded together snuggly?  Recently on a shoot, our CMC6/MK41 started to sputter when we were testing for levels. Powered everything down, unscrewed the capsule, everything looked clean.  Threaded them back together, no problems.

My Schoeps have primarily been used for FX collection. I live in MN and have exposed them to -10ºF in a forest, high winds, and 95ºF (heat index over 100º) days in the prairie.  Never an issue in over 8 years of use.

I would check the threading, and if it happens again, then send it into Schoeps.  I agree with the other posters, a problem is not the true nature of Schoeps.