Zaxcom and ENG

Jeff Wexler

I noticed that describing the workflow and ways in which Zaxcom gear can be used in ENG-type recording situations. I hesitate using the term "ENG" to describe the type of recording jobs this refers to, and even more I dislike the term "bag work" because it tends to have a derogatory connotation. It is safe to say that this type of work, increasingly the style of working that many are finding is the mainstay of their jobs, is probably the most demanding type of production sound recording work being done today.

The key points that I see reading this document, by using fewer devices in the bag, with the devices having a higher order of integration of feature and function, a more elegant, straightforward solution is provided. Having no intermodulation issues, a single high quality A to D conversion, significantly higher quality audio, a direct digital signal path and reduced susceptibility to ground loops and powering problems, the Zaxcom system seems to be a good way to go.

Yep, that's what Im hoping for the future. Less interconnecting cables susceptible to getting damaged and different units not working properly together :P. Built in receivers (slot ins?), built in battery (a serious one) and built in tx Hop. One unit. With the Maxx, Zax is definitly going in a direction I like :)

I don't "feel" offended when I label tomorrow's job as a "bag work" day, or last weeks work as a "cart work" job. It's just a factual thing, people do the job in different fashions, bag, cart, desk, truck. It's all good :). I understand what you mean with using the acronym "ENG", it reminds me of how often "IFB "gets used incorrectly.

I was talking to Glenn few years back about having one device that has a recorder, 6 receivers, antenna distro and a hop transmitter with one power source. I understand it is not good for everyone since people will want to break the gear in different packages but for my kind of work will be perfect.

Have not worked with my maxx yet but looks and feels great.

I agree with Rasmus. Zaxcom are going in the right direction...

But look at the history of derogatory terms that the derogated then claimed and transformed into an honorific. Lots of recent examples are still controversial, so let's go back to ancient Greece: Democracy. 

To point: "bag work" doesn't bother me (and that's most of what I do in sound). 

But I agree that "ENG" as an acronym for Electronic News Gathering isn't so useful anymore. And I can't think of a clever alternative (During one rain-filled week on a doc a few years ago, we decided we were working on an "Everyone Needs Galoshes" production).

I still think EFP fits the bill and is mostly understood by producers and others as "non-scripted production with real craft and attention to aesthetics. And sometimes IFB."

Back to MAXX: as I said elsewhere, it does appeal to me. But one thing I like (uh, if "like" is the right term") with my current kit: if one piece goes down, I can quickly slap in a backup component and get rolling. If MAXX goes down (and not just because of a bug; let's say an unexpected dunking or impalement or something), then a whole lot has gone down. Considering how infrequently my current stuff goes down, and that I could still swap out a MAXX for a backup mixer and recorder quite quickly, this is probably just a Nervous Nelly concern on my part. But it's floating in the back of my head.

So to help me out: Can those of you with a MAXX right now please work on a "white-water rafting + fine dust storm & occasional lightning" gig and get back to us?

I love the idea of a small footprint mixer and recorder combo. I frequently have small gigs with one boom and a couple lavs but still need ISO channels and a mix. Even a Nomad is larger than what is called for on those types of gigs and a MixPre-D doesn't record or have a built in transmitter.

I do worry about one aspect of the unit going down and having to send in the entire box. However, MAXX isn't too expensive so if you are extremely worried about that...buy two! :)

Hi Jim,

It is far more likely that a traditional sound bag will have a problem vs our intergrated solution. The number 1 cause of problems is cable connections. Maxx with intergrated transmitter eliminates many of them and the transmitter power adaptors traditionaly used with analog wireless. 

Maxx can still be treated like a stand alone mixer/recorder and will work in the traditional way if that is what you want to do.

With all of the MAXX functionality operating under a internally battery backed power source,  I think this will be a new standard for reliability in a sound bag.

Glenn

"impalement"!?.....    you might say, but it could happen like when I was working on a 3D film of the bull run in Pamplona and ended up the wrong side of the railings wearing my bag strapped on like a cinema ice cream dispenser thinking all the bulls had gone by, when some hadn't! :)

But look at the history of derogatory terms that the derogated then claimed and transformed into an honorific. Lots of recent examples are still controversial, so let's go back to ancient Greece: Democracy. 

To point: "bag work" doesn't bother me (and that's most of what I do in sound). 

But I agree that "ENG" as an acronym for Electronic News Gathering isn't so useful anymore. And I can't think of a clever alternative (During one rain-filled week on a doc a few years ago, we decided we were working on an "Everyone Needs Galoshes" production).

I still think EFP fits the bill and is mostly understood by producers and others as "non-scripted production with real craft and attention to aesthetics. And sometimes IFB."

Back to MAXX: as I said elsewhere, it does appeal to me. But one thing I like (uh, if "like" is the right term") with my current kit: if one piece goes down, I can quickly slap in a backup component and get rolling. If MAXX goes down (and not just because of a bug; let's say an unexpected dunking or impalement or something), then a whole lot has gone down. Considering how infrequently my current stuff goes down, and that I could still swap out a MAXX for a backup mixer and recorder quite quickly, this is probably just a Nervous Nelly concern on my part. But it's floating in the back of my head.

So to help me out: Can those of you with a MAXX right now please work on a "white-water rafting + fine dust storm & occasional lightning" gig and get back to us?

Setting up my maxx bag I am shocked how much this little device does for its size. I have 4 channels from qrx100, 1 channel analog boom, 6th channel is a mix track ,hop from maxx, ifb from qrx100 in the bag and another ifb from qrx100 on camera. I love the combo plug on the bottom. I use right angle trs which is a lot smaller then right angle xlr.

Qrx100 in the bag controls the trx 900la

One application (iOS, Android or what else) in two versions.

One to control all the settings (not the faders of course) from mixer/recorder and one to control the wireless settings (frequencies etc).

I love simplicity.

I can't speak to the Maxx, but I have skepticism around this constant fear of quality equipment breaking. I use my Fusion for everything... Dust storms, 110°+ heat, snow, below freezing temps, etc, etc, and have never had a problem. This same fear surrounds the CMIT, which has done the same for me, and recently has been out to gunshot tests and passed with flying colors. I trust Zaxcom products. I have never heard of one overheating... But have heard the same from SD. I don't even know how my touch screen is still working (it looks so used, and yes I plan to send it in soon for a good cleaning and maintenance upgrade)... Yet, the 664 is having some pretty easy breaks. So, I have not tested the Maxx... But I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for any if my needs with bag work. And I am sure my jobs fall within 90% of of bag jobs. My disappointment with Zaxcom and bag work is the range on my wireless. I made the mistake of buying the RX900 instead of the QRX900 system. Not sure how much difference there is. But, my Zaxcom is hard to use in anything beyond sit down interviews and scenes where my cart is very close. This makes bag work very hard. It would be great if I could buy four + units and do a config like Rado... But that just isn't feasible right now. So, the default when adding bits and pieces is to go to Lectro. Which upsets me. I would love to be piecing together a complete Zaxcom system. Thank you for posting this, Jeff. U will read it and see if I am overlooking some solutions.

I also should add, because I know it is a big point that you can pull the card from the transmitter when you get interference, etc. And that is great. But on jobs where we are doing bag work, there isn't much time to be pulling that card and integrating it with the recorder files. I think it is a great backup, and great for certain applications. But if range is consistently bad, it is not a great solution.

You make good points, Denielle, about reliability and trust with all of the major companies and the products we use, and I think there is sometimes an over-reaction when one experiences a problem wit any given piece of equipment. When reading all the posts here on JWSOUND (and I DO read them all) my conclusion would always be that we have a high degree of confidence in anything from Zaxcom, Sound Devices and Lectrosonics, and all this skepticism and fear is somewhat mis-placed and unrealistic.

I will add that your statement: "But if range is consistently bad, it is not a great solution" regarding Zaxcom wireless, I think there must be some problem with your units if you are having range problems. I'm sure someone at Zaxcom could help you sort it out. 

Setting up my maxx bag I am shocked how much this little device does for its size. I have 4 channels from qrx100, 1 channel analog boom, 6th channel is a mix track ,hop from maxx, ifb from qrx100 in the bag and another ifb from qrx100 on camera. I love the combo plug on the bottom. I use right angle trs which is a lot smaller then right angle xlr.

Qrx100 in the bag controls the trx 900la

Hey Rado, do your clients require a mixtrack? I don't really follow you there. 

< suppose I never considered there could be a problem with the unit.>

I would take this kind of assessment with a pinch of salt. There COULD be a problem with a unit which is otherwise working fine (turns on, off, LCD comes up, buttons work, etc). With RF, as [Hon. Rev. Larry Fisher Esq., has always said - it's a black art] - there could be so many other factors apart from original equipment exhibiting inadequate performance.

Regarding you wondering if there is a marked performance difference between two similar units [sic - RX900 instead of the QRX900 system], you only have one recourse - the mother ship for advice. :)