Zaxcom and ENG

Jeff Wexler

I would definitely check the mic ground wiring. I recently went round and round with Sanken US who sold me a bunch of COS-11D that I specified for use with Zaxcom. All my mics were wired incorrectly. They finally fixed it, but for quite some time I had to go back and forth with them while they insisted that the ground didn't need to be tied to the shell. I wonder how many other mics are out in the wild like this before they changed the wiring spec at the factory.

The lav was ordered new with the unit, specifically for it, from ProSound. It is a B6.... So, it seems very strange, to me, that the lav would be creating the range issue. Anyway, I have contacted Zaxcom...

Denielle,

Depending on when you ordered the unit they may not have known about the wiring difference.  For a very long time Countryman was unaware that their was a wiring difference between the 3pin lemo for Sennheiser and Zaxom units.  So even if the unit came straight from a pro shop, ordered from the manufacturer for your unit, they may not have realized at that point that there was anything wrong.  I spent some time with Countryman trying to fix this issue on their end with the Countryman EMW awhile back when we first started purchasing Zaxcom for our rental stock.

So you might want to double check with your vendor about what line item they ordered the mic under.  If it's still on your B6 element, you can post or PM me the model number and I can try and let you know if it's wired right based on that? (basically awhile back they had to add a new suffix for Zaxcom wiring instead of using the same mic they used for Sennheiser)

Hope I can help