Eric Lawrence

I have some monitors that are currently just sitting on my desk. I'd like to get some separation with some low cost isolators (as I'm not looking to invest too much money into my post production gear). I've found ones from Auralex and IsoAcoustics that seem descent. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these or another pair of monitor isolators. What are the pros and cons? 

I've used the Auralex MoPads with success.  If price is one of your main considerations, I'd recommend them:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251857-REG/Auralex_MOPAD1_MoPAD_Monitor_Isolation.html

They used to be about $45 but in the above listing they are only $29 with free shipping -- a best buy to be sure.

The advantage of the ProPads over the MoPads is that they have additional layers of decoupling.  If your speakers are sitting on a surface that can vibrate easily, that could be of benefit.

Speakers are designed to be solidly supported.  Letting the cabinets vibrate will change the frequency response and there is no reason to guess the change will be positive.  I would only use them if my support was very flimsy and rattled, and then only if there was some good reason for spending the money on isolation rather than solidifying the support.

Anybody remember Tiptoes?

Conical machined from aluminum and black anodized? I had several sets of those and quit using them because several people chewed me out for dimpling the wood floor, desktops and and almost anywhere I used them. My main monitors are too big for desktop now, I've gone retro and away from powered nearfields.