Blackmagic camera

jacquesstar

A quick check of their website shows:

2 x 1/4" Jacks for Professional Balanced Analog Audio (Switchable between Mic and Line Levels).

Not sure about AGC, compression etc, but I would strongly suggest running double system sound with a scratch track to camera.

Hey Jacques,

I have. The Cinema camera has two 1/4" balanced inputs, which you can switch between line and mic level from the menu.

The inputs are solid, the one caveat is that there is no metering in the camera, so you will have to either run some test to figure out a good level, or if there is a monitor that is able to display the audio metering you could potentially go that way as well.

I would run the double-system nonetheless, to ensure best quality.

Okay, cool. Will run audio into camera.

Shoot is low budget, so I am not willing to pull out my 664 for this gig. They want two lavs and a boom, so I will use my FP33/TASCAM HD-P2 rig instead jamming my slate to camera time of day, switching to generate and jamming my TASCAM to my slate, panning the typical way two lavs on one track and boom on the other. From what I understand the SDI connector has timecode, right?

Today (and tomorrow) I have ran into 3 of them. As mentioned the monitoring is the only issue otherwise it literally took 5 min to adjust all. Their audio menu is incredibly simple and have nice, clear graphics. As a note, all the cameras were rental and production got them with wooden camera 1/4" to XLR adapters. 

For scratch track purposes, I ran the signal from the output of my 788 into my whirlwind line splitter and from the splitter to the wooden camera  adapters on the cams. Obviously (or maybe not so much) Line input was selected on the BM cam menu and ended up setting the gain around 85-90% on the cam. Monitored through cans and it sounded pretty usable to me. I would imagine mostly caused by the headphone amp but you will definitely hear some self noise. If you end up being in rush, I'll suggest send tone and walk to the camera with your headphones to check the level. Trust your ear and you'll be good. 

Best and good luck on your shoot!

Engin