Tested: Schoeps MK41 vs Rode NT5

Michiel

The Oktava I tested was a late model purchased from a dealer. I know it was not a knockoff. perhaps quality still varies. I sold it

"From a dealer" I guess is better than Guitar Center (though Guitar Center is a dealer as well) but there are still no guarantees. I'm not talking just about avoiding knock-offs and "fake" Oktavas --- the quality of construction and potential for defects exists across the entire manufacturing process of a microphone at this cost level. The reason that I recommend the SoundRoom is that they go through hundreds of microphones, all real, genuine microphones, and then reject probably 30 or 40 percent of them before ever presenting any of them to the buying public. In this manner you are about as assured as you can be that you will get the best sounding, best built $200. Oktava microphone made.

" can vary widely from unit to unit "

another factor that separates the expensive from the cheap...

Agreed.  Even some of the best mics made vary from unit to unit enough that critical listening can reveal differences.  However, with most expensive mics, those differences are subtle to almost non-existent and usually matter little in real-world applications.

So, now that we're talking Oktava, again, it must be remembered that if you bought your Oktava at Guitar Center or some other music chain, you have no way of knowing what you actually purchased. I have helped several people who made this mistake and their Oktava mics were absolutely un-usable. The 3 or 4 Oktavas that I have owned over the years were always purchased through the SoundRoom which does a thorough QC on all the microphones which pretty much guarantees you will get a good one. The good Oktava does sound surprisingly similar to the Schoeps in my experience.

This is definitely true Jeff and when combining a good MK012 with the Joly mod its really amazing. I use mine all the time.