SD 302 vs 552 for beginner

Victor Nguyen

Hello. I think it's time that I get my own mixer to start practicing. I'm thinking of one of these 2. While I could cheap out on 302, I'm afraid that I might outgrow it. "buy once, cry once" is what they say on filmmaking forums.

What's your opinion, should I get 302, learn it, and then jump to a more higher end mixer when I'm ready or should I just get the 552?

(BTW, the only sound gear I have ATM is just a boompole, I'll get headphones shortly)

Hey Victor,

If available to you, I'd recommend going to a sound sales/rental house, where you can sit down with each device, and get acquainted. Most places are cool enough to actually let you play with the device in their location, and are available to answer any questions you may have. ;)

My take: both of these can serve very different purposes. I own the 302, as well as a Nomad, and use them for different kinds of gigs. You can certainly look at the 552 as a step-up from the 302, but I think you may use them differently.

Best of luck!

Hey Victor,

If available to you, I'd recommend going to a sound sales/rental house, where you can sit down with each device, and get acquainted.

My take: both of these can serve very different purposes. I own the 302, as well as a Nomad, and use them for different kinds of gigs. You can certainly look at the 552 as a step-up from the 302, but I think you may use them differently.

Thanks for answering Jose. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any audio rental house in Houston. I start in filmmaking through camera department and I know that I learn best if I own the gear. You think that I would use each mixers differently?

Whenever I buy gear, I want it to be as future proof as possible. Do you think I'll still use the 302 five years from now or when my skills have improved?

My thoughts are to get something that you can record with as it seems that most "beginner shoots" tend to be DSLR shoots now days and you will need to record audio separately. Also, it helps if you are practicing to be able to play back your audio into speakers to hear how your mix actually sounds.

My 2C

-Jon

My thoughts are to get something that you can record with as it seems that most "beginner shoots" tend to be DSLR shoots now days and you will need to record audio separately. Also, it helps if you are practicing to be able to play back your audio into speakers to hear how your mix actually sounds.

My 2C

-Jon

Thank you for answering. So you would recommend the 552? I apologize for this stupid question, but if I get 302, can't I send sound out to a recorder like Tascam DRXXX?

You think that I would use each mixers differently?

You could. I use my 302 for gigs where I mix straight to camera, where I only need a few channels, and where otherwise, my Nomad would be complete overkill. I've used the 552 on narratives, running double-system with a 744T recorder, where ISOS where required. The 552 provided direct outputs for each of its inputs.

Do you think I'll still use the 302 five years from now or when my skills have improved?

It will greatly vary depending on the type of gigs you do, but IMO a small field mixer is a great addition to any Sound Mixer's kit.

Both of these are professional grade tools and will serve you well.

if I get 302, can't I send sound out to a recorder like Tascam DRXXX?

Yes. The 302 has 2 XLR direct outs, and a TA3 Tape Out. You could use any of these to send signal to an external recorder.

The 552 has the added benefit of an internal recorder, which records to an SD card on the back of the device.

It really comes down to the type of jobs you do. I find that the 302 is all I need for 90% of what I do on the audio side of my business and I just rent what I need the rest of the time. Personally I would go straight to the 664 if I was buying into a mixer with that many channels at this point in time. But again that comes down to workflow.

It really comes down to the type of jobs you do. I find that the 302 is all I need for 90% of what I do on the audio side of my business and I just rent what I need the rest of the time. Personally I would go straight to the 664 if I was buying into a mixer with that many channels at this point in time. But again that comes down to workflow.

I'm just using this as a learning tool. If you find that 302 is good for 90% of what you do then I think it's gonna be good for me. I probably spend that extra money on mics and other accessories.

BTW, does anybody know where I can buy SD 302 for $500? :D

In all seriousness, are these good price for use?

Until Sound Devices comes out with a 302 that can record, the 302 will likely hold it's price. Any that are found for $500 will probably be in very rough shape.  Those posts are reasonable prices for mixers in very good condition. 

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

You mentioned you come from camera. Are you looking to get solely into sound, or be a shooter with some nice audio gear?

If it is the latter, I would go for the 302 or maybe a 442.

If it is the former, I agree with the "buy once, cry once" adage. Leave yourself room to grow. The 552 is a great machine. It may be overkill for many of your gigs, but, when you need those two extra channels and the recorder, you will be happy you spent the extra money. If money isn't an issue, a 664 for may be the best route.

Bottom line, Victor, as you probably knew from the start:

it depends,

and it is, of course, subjective...

actually for "practicing" the FP mixers from Shure would be excellent, as well as usable on gigs, and something you could keep for "backup".  working with the Shure,you would get familiar with a professional product, still in common use today, and develop a better idea of what you personally need and want.

Hello. I think it's time that I get my own mixer to start practicing. I'm thinking of one of these 2. While I could cheap out on 302, I'm afraid that I might outgrow it. "buy once, cry once" is what they say on filmmaking forums.

What's your opinion, should I get 302, learn it, and then jump to a more higher end mixer when I'm ready or should I just get the 552?

(BTW, the only sound gear I have ATM is just a boompole, I'll get headphones shortly)

A 302 is a great small mixer that you'll be able to use forever. Even if you later upgrade to a 664 or a 788 you'll still want to keep the 302 for smaller gigs that only need a boom mic or a couple of wireless mics. It's an excellent investment, particularly if you can get a used one in good condition. I picked one in mint condition from one of our usual suppliers for $900. A $30 cable (mix-out-to-XLRs) will let you hook up a DR-40 to record. A breakout cable will let you plug into the XLR inputs of a camera.

You said, you just want the mixer for learning? Get the cheapest mixer you can find then. Not sure what it is you want to learn, but with a panel mixer, it might be easier to learn about signal flow and basic functions and concepts of a mixer. Once you've mastered those, you'll be much faster in getting to know new mixers, which you should rent until you know what you need, without needing to ask someone else.

For me, the whole "buy once, cry once" does not mean that you should find and buy the one device that will forever work on every possible job you are ever going to do. For me it means identifying the type of device you need and then buying the best one you can get. The opposite would be "buy cheap, buy twice".

Hi,

Perhaps the Fostex DC-R302 3 channel mixer/2 channel recorder might fit your budget and be useful now and in the future.

Paid $1,000 for mine when it first came out last year but good deal now ($699.00) at B&H :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846034-REG/Fostex_DC_R302_DC_R302_3_Channel_Audio_Mixer.html

Good preamps and sound, compact, light weight... some helpful DSLR features.  Only potential downside is no XLR outs - has RCA and 3.5 mini - could rig adapter cables.

Also, a used 415 T or 416 from Trew Audio : 

http://www.trewaudio.com/consignment/microphones/

Low budget Rode NTG2 (battery powered) is an ok practice mic.

In addition to practicing mixing, I find that  booming while listening live through headphones is very educational.  You can learn a ton about different voices tonal qualities, mic placement & angles, proximity to sound sources, ambience, mic functionality, etc.

To record your practices and then hear the tracks back through studio monitors is very fun and enlightening :-)

Anyhow. have fun doing this - I do too.

All the best,

Dave

You said, you just want the mixer for learning? Get the cheapest mixer you can find then. Not sure what it is you want to learn, but with a panel mixer, it might be easier to learn about signal flow and basic functions and concepts of a mixer. Once you've mastered those, you'll be much faster in getting to know new mixers, which you should rent until you know what you need, without needing to ask someone else.

For me, the whole "buy once, cry once" does not mean that you should find and buy the one device that will forever work on every possible job you are ever going to do. For me it means identifying the type of device you need and then buying the best one you can get. The opposite would be "buy cheap, buy twice".

+1

I think the "buy once..." saying can be misleading.  Most of us who have been around for a good while carry lots of backup gear.  Therefore, Like Constantin said, buy good gear but it doesn't have to be the ultimate or what you want to eventually have.  If you're not ready to buy what you'll ultimately need, buy something of quality that will serve as a worthwhile backup.

You won't go wrong with a well maintained 302, 442, 552, or even a Shure (although the Shure preamps are not quite as good as SD). 

Buy for your current needs not for way down the road.

+1

I think the "buy once..." saying can be misleading.  Most of us who have been around for a good while carry lots of backup gear.  Therefore, Like Constantin said, buy good gear but it doesn't have to be the ultimate or what you want to eventually have.  If you're not ready to buy what you'll ultimately need, buy something of quality that will serve as a worthwhile backup.

You won't go wrong with a well maintained 302, 442, 552, or even a Shure (although the Shure preamps are not quite as good as SD). 

Buy for your current needs not for way down the road.

Make that a +2, it can defiantly be misleading.  As like on the camera side most serious professionals don't come into this business with 100k to drop on a single equipment purchase.  We start small with a tripod here, a few lights there before making a purchase of a camera.  Which in a couple of years will likely be supplanted by a new camera.  Which if you are an owner op, you will buy and work until it pays itself off while likely holding onto the old one while it continues to turn the correct amount of profit, and sell when it drops below whatever number of days you deem to be the cutoff.  All equipment gets replaced or upgraded sooner or later no matter how good it is.  My 302 has paid itself many times over but If I start getting the types of jobs where I find myself constantly renting a 664 than I will buy one and relegate my 302 to backup or even potentially sell it if I find myself not using it after a year.

Where I see the buy once cry once come more into play is with either people who come into the business with a wad of cash buy no idea what to buy.  And those who don't have the money to start out but think they can do better than renting while they build the cash reserve to identify and purchase the right equipment for them.  

• 3 months later...

My 2 Cents,

borrow /rent until you understand what your needs are. Once you know what your clients needs are grab equipment as needed pre owned ( and as you are payed) ...several sites...here@ JW Sound... Location Sound, Gotham Sound, Professional Sound Services, Trew Audio....to name a few...the usual suspects as they are known...and be loyal to your local vendor. My 2 Cents

JHW