How to record cars driving at high speed? Advice needed.

AllanH

Hlp needed. Next week ill be recording a lot of cars, In a car-chase/stunt scene.

When speed are more than 30-40 kmh, mikes In ordinary rycote pick up more wind than sound.

Anyone who has some advice regarding equipment, or practises.

Thanx.

Allan

perhaps more information would help,

but my first thought is that the SFX will be dealt with in post,  or are you recording them for post ?

Will you be attempting to record dialog ?  perhaps that sould be left for post, as well...

during stunts (and car chases are stunts!) SAFETY is the top priority for everyone.  images come in a distant second, and sound "also ran" (pretty low!)

I've seen them put cars on roller ramp type deals where they stay in one place and you can basically drive them like a treadmill for a car. Unfortunately it was this studios first time doing it so they blew the engine on the first mustang they used lol.

Additional information is definitely helpful. I frequently record the sound of loud and fast cars for the show I work on. I'll typically use some Zaxcom recorders with Sanken lavs and Rycote wind screens placed at key points around the car. Exhaust, engine bay, air ride if its there, etc. For the drive-bys I'll use a few different cardioid and shotgun mics. If dialogue is to be recorded I'll also have either plant mics or lavs on the people all going to a separate multi-track.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I've done LOTS of car recordings for EA in their Need For Speed car racing franchise. 

If these are stunts..are you trying to hide the mics, or can they be seen? Is this happening on production? Is there budget in post to record the cars after the fact? Answers to these questions will help. 

On one shoot I was on, they had built a kind of cage around and on the car, so they could mount cameras/lights there. I also used this for a stereo mic which I mounted on the roof in a full Rycote. Rycote also have the windsock, which I believe they call the Hi-wind cover. I used that with the furry thing and there was no problem. The car went as fast as 80km/h

First of all thanx for your kind replies, and second, i have to improve my english, obviously....... :)

I think i was hoping to discover some new ways, or maybe get aware of some kind of rycote´s that would enable me to record the sound of cars, travelling in hi-speed, with a bit more "real/perspective???" and fuller sound, than with lavs added to keypoints on the car......

Yes we are doing a car chase, and some stunt-scenes, and the budget on danish films are what US would call; very low-budget, so we try to get as much sound as we can during the shoot, so the post has something to work with.

I am aware of the way with the lavs, (thanx for reminding me, Mr. Matthew Freed, it has been some time since i last did that......), and that will be the way i do it this time too, since my research these few days did'nt bring any new cool gadgets or methods to use this time.......

Thanx alot for your replies and have fun......

Allan Holmberg

www.imdb.com/name/nm0391655/

• 2 weeks later...