Client refusing to pay balance.

Jack Norflus

I'm really sorry Jack, that you never received payment ~ another reason I'm pursuing some sort of final word on this contract issue ~ one we can all use and employ. So I'm (still) working on this as a side project for all of us in the states to benefit from. I've teamed up with a few very informed lawyers who could help us get something many of use can use. It's gonna take a while to make something watertight and flexible (that maybe an oxymoron).

At this thread, I see a bunch of great suggestions and levers (manipulative, to start with, and some others, fully legal, in the end game) that we can pull. 

I'm mining JWS, compiling all this information and feeding it to my team, in hopes we'll eventually have something solid to add to our business deals.

Thanks for the advice and stories. There are some salient take home messages in each and every post. Please PM me if you have any suggestions, stories or contacts we could use. 

Edited by Rachel Cameron
brevity

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny (not ha-ha) how there are so many responses and stories about payment issues. It seems to be happening more frequently as of late. I am also in this camp, although my time frame is much shorter.

A couple of years ago I recall someone on the Pro Sound Services newsletter talking about creating a website that would be a compilation of deadbeat clients. Users could log in and name names, jobs, and state the specifics of the complaint--no payment, no OT, whatever. Don't know if it ever got off the ground, but it sounded like a great idea. If you can't collect, maybe shaming these losers and warning others would be the next best thing. Anybody here know if that site was ever launched?

Here's hoping we all get paid.

A couple of years ago I recall someone on the Pro Sound Services newsletter talking about creating a website that would be a compilation of deadbeat clients. Users could log in and name names, jobs, and state the specifics of the complaint--no payment, no OT, whatever. Don't know if it ever got off the ground, but it sounded like a great idea. If you can't collect, maybe shaming these losers and warning others would be the next best thing. Anybody here know if that site was ever launched?

The fear is often that two bad things could happen:

1) the clients could sue the website claiming libel

2) a disgruntled former employee could make up negative stories about a client and post a false account on a debt that wasn't real.

This is one of these "who will bell the cat?" kind of problems where it would take some risk for whoever wanted to start the actual website. I've never not been paid, but there's been several cases where there were disputes on the interpretation of how long a day should be, when the check would be in my hands, and so on. I've had a few cases where they said they'd pay in 30 days, and that turned into "30 business days" which was more like 6-7 weeks. Or it was 30 days after their next "billing cycle." Not fun.

I think the best thing to do is become better at the business of what we do, paper our jobs with proper documentation/signatures, and not get ourselves into issues like this to begin with (I'm guilty too). If you'd like to participate in that discussion, it might help us all. 

a website that would be a compilation of deadbeat clients. Users could log in and name names, jobs, and state the specifics of the complaint--no payment, no OT, whatever. Don't know if it ever got off the ground, but it sounded like a great idea. If you can't collect, maybe shaming these losers and warning others would be the next best thing. Anybody here know if that site was ever launched?

The fear is often that two bad things could happen:

1) the clients could sue the website claiming libel

2) a disgruntled former employee could make up negative stories about a client and post a false account on a debt that wasn't real.

This is one of these "who will bell the cat?" kind of problems where it would take some risk for whoever wanted to start the actual website. I've never not been paid, but there's been several cases where there were disputes on the interpretation of how long a day should be, when the check would be in my hands, and so on. I've had a few cases where they said they'd pay in 30 days, and that turned into "30 business days" which was more like 6-7 weeks. Or it was 30 days after their next "billing cycle." Not fun.

+1 to what Marc said. My thoughts exactly. Having that stuff out there indefinitely may not be such a good thing in the end. 

Edited by Rachel Cameron
Agreement with Marc