CMIT5U in a Rycote WS4 handling noise

Matthias Richter

I have switched to the recent model of Rycote´s windshield WS4. I still struggle with a very sensitive system regarding low freq noise. It´s all fine without the basket on (just using the suspension). As soon as I slide the basket on top it all gets very noisy.

The low cut is engaged but still it´s driving me nuts. Just adjusting the pole lenght by my boomOp makes me wonder what the hell he is doing.

Using a MKH60 in the same windshield is totaly different and silent.

Seems that using a plugOn tx right on top with the blimp is pronouncing the problem.

Is anyone using a CMIT with a Rycote WS4 AND a plugOn with good luck?

Matthias

I agree with you on the handling noise, the new roycote suspension clips are very noisy with the cmit, I know other very experienced sound men who have exactly the same problem.

Try use the old style clips and bands, this will solve it.

Otherwise buy a cinela piano, this works perfect for the cmit.

Generally I use a CMIT in A WS4 in a OMB configuration- cabled, but when using it wirelessly on the en of the pole with the lyre system I have found a few things helped. A Stiffer grey lyre at the front and a black Lyre with the newer soft rubber grip at the back of the mic. To be honest I was never a fan of the Lyre system until someone her suggested the grey Lyre on the front and this is how all my mount now rock it. Over tightening the screws that secure the the basket to the mount can introduce noise. How are you attaching the plug on. Using an aluminium L- shaped bracket with rubber washers either side of the bracket (Boom pole- bracket- Mic mount) helps to isolate handling noise and can allow easier access to the Plug on. 

I use CMIT with WS4 and HM plug-on at the other end of the pole with no issues whatsoever.

that confirms my initial test prior purchasing the kit which I did without the plugon just using my CMIT cabled into my mixer.

Excuse my inexperience, but shouldn't big movements outside of the take, like adjusting pole length, swinging to catch slate and back, etc., result in handling noise?

that´s right - big movements just make it very obvious what to listen to when booming the scene. It´s very distracting when I always wait for a quiet boom signal after "roll sound" is announced

I agree with you on the handling noise, the new roycote suspension clips are very noisy with the cmit, I know other very experienced sound men who have exactly the same problem.

Try use the old style clips and bands, this will solve it.

Otherwise buy a cinela piano, this works perfect for the cmit.

I used to have the older Rycote with rubber bands - it was even worse than it is now. When doing my test at the shop with a cabled boom the difference between the old and the new system was significant. Much better.

How are you attaching the plug on. Using an aluminium L- shaped bracket with rubber washers either side of the bracket (Boom pole- bracket- Mic mount) helps to isolate handling noise and can allow easier access to the Plug on. 

I used to have a L-shaped TX-holder but use a Rycote holder now. Probably go for another option and mount the plugOn a bit into the pole (still at the top end)

Thanks for all your input!

Matthias

I use Sanken CS-1 mikes that are very LF sensitive and have no bass cut

despite my meeting the 2 design engineers at Sanken in Tokyo and asking why no bass cut!

No response.

I'm using Rycote Lyre mounts,  they work fine but I suspect that the cable conducted noise may be

an Issue in this case.

I use Ambient QAT Top Tips on my CS-1 and CS-3e microphones and  as they connect to the microphone

with a very thin cable they isolate cable borne noise

mike

as my PlugOn is mounted right between the Quicklock tip and the Rycote pistol grip it seems to add some resonance for low freqs. Although that mount is designed for that very same purpose ... That resonance comes into play with the basket mounted. Using just the mic mount (wout the basket) it has not that low end response.

Matthias

After I had got a nil response about the bass cut issue I asked why then a bass cut switch on the CS-3e

The reply "It's a boom mike"

I ask but the CS-1 is a boom mike.

No response!!

Now the CS-2 has no bass cut just a high end boost - and it's a boom mike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

After I had got a nil response about the bass cut issue I asked why then a bass cut switch on the CS-3e

The reply "It's a boom mike"

I ask but the CS-1 is a boom mike.

No response!!

Now the CS-2 has no bass cut just a high end boost - and it's a boom mike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

I've used the CS1 so many times on the end of a boompole....was I doing it wrong? I wasn't aware that it wasn't a boom mic?!

;D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matthias,

I am having the same problems with my cmit 5u and WS4, once I put windshield with hi wind sock or windjammer, low freq. are pretty loud. I switch to sennheiser pistol grip and windshield and it is little better. Mostly I am using with cable, or wireless combination MM 1 with smqw. Starting to thinking that only silent solution is cinela. Also if my boom op wear gloves it helps the situation,but not to much. There is still low freq. Also I cut low end on the cmit and 60hz/12db on my cantar.

Love the mic very much, hate the sound of handling noise. Need to change something !

Best regards !

Novica Jankov

Hi Matthias,

I am having the same problems with my cmit 5u and WS4, once I put windshield with hi wind sock or windjammer, low freq. are pretty loud. I switch to sennheiser pistol grip and windshield and it is little better. Mostly I am using with cable, or wireless combination MM 1 with smqw. Starting to thinking that only silent solution is cinela. Also if my boom op wear gloves it helps the situation,but not to much. There is still low freq. Also I cut low end on the cmit and 60hz/12db on my cantar.

Love the mic very much, hate the sound of handling noise. Need to change something !

Best regards !

Novica Jankov

That is strange, never had this issue.  Wondering if the CMIT is not in the ideal position within the WS (too close to the end of end cap)?  Just a suggestion maybe...

From Rycote, "For a windshield to work effectively the microphone should be mounted centrally within the windshield, therefore the microphone + XLR length should approximately equal the windshield body length. The body length of our windshields is the total length, excluding end caps."

There is a picture located the the below URL under "Size Guide":

http://www.rycote.com/products/full_windshield_kit/modular_windshield/

If already positioned this way, please disregard, just curious as to why this is happening, ruling this out at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

Definitely that is the case ! After I saw your post, I remeber it from Rycote web page. Some time ago I moved cmit to the very end of the windshield to be as close as possible to the actor for quite scene. I need to confess that handling noise started on that movie, and I didn't understand what was the case. Some time after I switch to sennheiser and that halp.

Now after I change position of the mic as it should be in the first place, it's much better. Probably as it was in the begining.

Hope that this will halp to you Matthias if you have the same situation.

Thanks again Dan !

Noni

I use a variety of mounts including several lyres, AT & LTM rigs that I've added Suspenders to, some traditional Rycote hoops w/Suspenders, and a couple of K-Tek ones.

They all work well in capable hands.

I even used a hoop style Rycote, w/standard sized zep, to mount a pair of Schoeps in an X/Y stereo configuration. What made it work was the flexibility of the Suspenders.