High Capacity SSDs

soundmanjohn

Samsung and Crucial now have high-capacity SSDs available at reasonable prices: Samsung's version is a full 1TB, whilst Crucial's is a mere 960 Gig. Prices in the UK are around £500 for the Samsung and slightly less for the Crucial version.

I'm thinking of upgrading my MacBook Pro's internal drive pretty soon and it might also be interesting to see if these drives could be verified for SD recorders.

Some details for the Samsung are here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/samsung-840-evo-750gb/4505-3186_7-35823851.html

Regards,

John

I keep reading the SSD are designed for write once, read many type applications like OS boot drives and that life span is compromised in a field recorder type use?  I was looking into putting one in my 744 but couldn't be convinced of great advantages.

Can anyone with experience chime in?

I keep reading the SSD are designed for write once, read many type applications like OS boot drives and that life span is compromised in a field recorder type use?  I was looking into putting one in my 744 but couldn't be convinced of great advantages.

Can anyone with experience chime in?

Actually Hugh you are a little off there. At least as far as I have learned, SSD's are on par with their mechanical counter parts.

Think of The RED camera, the Black Magic Cinema Camera and virtually every digital cinema camera on the market, they all use Solid State Drives because they are portable, comparatively durable and super fast.

There is a certain risk of breakdown in the chemical substrate that can cause the leaking of charge across transistors - but similar risks exist in mechanical drives as well. Even super rugged HDDs can get jostled just enough to render large sectors unusable/unreadable.

John, Totally go out there and get a SSD for your laptop, you will be happy you did. As for the 1TB vs. 960GB. They are actually both 960GB. For reason's that I don't totally understand (something about sector clusters and the number 8 -  SSDs come in curious sizes. And for what it is worth Crucial makes a decent drive. Also check out OWC at macsales.com - Not sure if they ship to the UK though.

Good Luck

Ben

Yes, not sure where Hugh's info came from, but of course, the 788T is available with an SSD, which mine has. I haven't had any problems with it, just wondering how it would cope with a higher capacity model than the standard issue.

Needless to say, I will also check with Sound Devices.

Thanks, Ben - I pop over to the US from time to time and usually indulge in a little light shopping while I'm there.

Regards,

John