Copy - Cloud Storage

Ze Frias

Recently came across this new, dropbox-like service which gives 15GBs to start for free. Since they are new, they are also giving out 5GBs per referral, which is also much more than Dropbox gives.

As a current dropbox user, I always look for ways to get more storage, and currently own a Dropbox Pro account. I use it religiously to securely share sound files with clients. It's a great tool to do so. With Copy, they seem to be giving me more bang for my buck (even if free! haha), and will be testing it out to see if it can be a viable replacement.

If you would like to check Copy out for yourself, you can do so here. Let me know what you think!

It has been reported that this post from our member josefrias is spam which I do not believe is the case.  josefrias is a proper member of this site and I believe that the above post is for the most part intended to inform us of the web based cloud service called COPY. It is somewhat self-serving because COPY does have a referral program where josefrias will benefit if any of us sign up for the service. I have a Dropbox account and a COPY account (and at least 2 or 3 other services that do just about the same thing) but did not feel the need to recommend COPY here on JWSOUND. There are differences for sure amongst all the services vying for our subscriptions and it is my feeling that none of them have proven to be the be all and end all of cloud storage. So, I use several services. 

Hey Jeff,

It is certainly not my intention to spam on this well serving forum, that has helped me in too many occasions.

If I offended, disrespected, or in any other way disrupted the good karma of this great forum, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Like you mentioned I used many of these services, including Dropbox, Copy, and Google Drive, and thought that if unaware, someone in the forum may benefit from this newer service.

Anywho, thanks for posting.

All the best,

J.

I use Dropbox, and Copy, I got a copy account so a friend could get the referral benefits, and I do use it, mainly for personal stuff. I use Dropbox exclusively for work stuff, mainly because it's so well known, when you say 'I'll Dropbox that to you' You don't have to explain what you mean, and folks know what to look for.

It's good to know about new Cloud copy and transfer services, so thanks for that.

It's also made me even more vigilant about the Cloud for storage. With all these new startups, it's inevitable that the market will become overcrowded and some of them will fail. After the shakeup only a few will be left. Will it be the current big boys (YouSendIt, DropBox, etc) or somebody else? Who knows?

So if you're using one of these services to back up files, be aware the company could go belly-up and your files will disappear. It could happen without warning, instantly, if creditors decide to seize some servers. 

Does this affect using a service to transfer files from a mixer to client (or in my case, between audio post and editor)? Only in that a service could die during a transfer. But you'll still have the files locally and can send them via another service.

But if you're using one of these services for offsite storage or backup for local disks, or even to keep your personal music library, it's probably a good idea to back them up on somebody else's server as well.

---

Brain-dead predictions:

Google Drive and Amazon Cloud will probably remain, because they have such strong businesses outside of this one.

Fedex and UPS Overnight will have to change their business plan. When's the last time you Fedex'd anything to a client?

It's good to know about new Cloud copy and transfer services, so thanks for that.

It's also made me even more vigilant about the Cloud for storage. With all these new startups, it's inevitable that the market will become overcrowded and some of them will fail. After the shakeup only a few will be left. Will it be the current big boys (YouSendIt, DropBox, etc) or somebody else? Who knows?

So if you're using one of these services to back up files, be aware the company could go belly-up and your files will disappear. It could happen without warning, instantly, if creditors decide to seize some servers. 

Does this affect using a service to transfer files from a mixer to client (or in my case, between audio post and editor)? Only in that a service could die during a transfer. But you'll still have the files locally and can send them via another service.

But if you're using one of these services for offsite storage or backup for local disks, or even to keep your personal music library, it's probably a good idea to back them up on somebody else's server as well.

---

Brain-dead predictions:

Google Drive and Amazon Cloud will probably remain, because they have such strong businesses outside of this one.

Fedex and UPS Overnight will have to change their business plan. When's the last time you Fedex'd anything to a client?

This is good advice from Jay. I'm not sure how many of us use any of these cloud storage services for offsite backups but it would make me very nervous when thinking about how all these services are just business, like anything else, and could easily fail as businesses do. I would add that I agree that Google Drive and Amazon will live on and I also believe that Dropbox will be around for as long time.

I certainly agree.

When dealing with special content, I was always taught to make AT LEAST three copies:

- One in physical hard drive on site

- One in physical hard drive off site

- One in an online storage solution

In this day and age, with so many viable options though, it's not difficult to make more back-ups, especially online in the cloud. In my current set-up, my off-site drive as well as my sky drive automatically get updated when my main dropbox folder gets updated. It's a neat streamlined process.

Folks out there who are looking to create a streamlined back-up process for multiple cloud storage, should look into a service like Otixo (http://otixo.com/) or IFTTT (https://ifttt.com/). With the former, you pay a monthly or yearly fee, and through a single interface you can manage all your cloud-based storage solutions such as dropbox, sky drive, google drive, etc. It uses a drag-and-drop interface. The latter (which I use) is more of a "get your hands dirty" type of service, as you create custom "recipes" to interface between many services available online. There are already many recipes created for those who use dropbox:

https://ifttt.com/recipes?channel=dropbox&sort=hot

In the near future, I can post in the Workflow forum my streamlined cloud storage method for any to use or modify to their liking.