Transferring between unions

orionflood

I prefer not to hear that much hearsay, but for those guys who have actually transferred between unions through moving, was there more paperwork and expense involved than if you just went and joined another union? I see some guys have multiple union memberships say one in NYC and the other in LA. I know every place has its own stipulations depending on heirachy and such...but since IA is an international organization transferring itself should pretty straight forward I suspect.  For example if you moved from a union that does not require 18 month residency to a place that does upon entering does a transfer still require the 18 month residency? Thanks folks.

Just to help you get the terminology correct, it sounds like you are switching Locals, not Unions.  In the IA, you are subject to the residency requirements (and other membership requirements) of the Local that is receiving you.  The benefit of requesting a transfer, assuming you truly won't benefit from dual-card membership, is that with some Locals you won't have to pay a new member initiation fee again but you need to talk to a Rep at the receiving Local to see how they handle that.

The word you are looking for Richard, is "protectionism". This is a MASSIVE problem in The South as well. Everyone is scrambling to protect the amount of work they have and keep it for themselves. This just ends up hurting the reputation of unionism and IA in general.

" since IA is an international organization transferring itself should pretty straight forward I suspect. "

and you are incorrect!

especially as you do not mention specifics, it is impossible for anyone to give you much specific information...

this requires a variation of <old cap>,

• 2 weeks later...

The 479 Local is about the same as the 491.
Our membership has quadrupled in the last 3 years. If you have an LA address, it's almost as if they will give you a 479 card in the welcome kit at the production office. 

On a side note, it would be nice if the last mixer/boom-op/utility to leave LA would mind saving house lights please-- but make sure and let us locals know where the switch is.

We will need to move and find work once all of you get here.