788 CF slot busted...

Harris K

Hey all,

For a few days, the CF slot on my 788 has been fidgety and I've had a hard time removing the card. End of today, I yanked the card, and something went "pop." There's now a loose bracket and the card won't stay in place.

I'm supplementing with an external reader for now, which i'd been considering anyway, but I can't afford to send the machine back to SD for a few weeks. I vaguely remember this issue turning up before but can't find the thread. Is this likely something Gotham or another NY local can repair, or should I assume its going back to sound devices? If so, what sort of turnaround should I expect? I'll start calling around tomorrow, bu t I'm hoping to ascertain how bad the situation will be in terms of downtime.

Thanks in advance,

Harris

The only people who can accurately answer your questions are people at Sound Devices, Gotham, or one of the other local places in NYC. Why don't you try calling them first thing in the morning and report back. Perhaps one of them can answer your question outside of business hours on here.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Hey all,

For a few days, the CF slot on my 788 has been fidgety and I've had a hard time removing the card. End of today, I yanked the card, and something went "pop." There's now a loose bracket and the card won't stay in place.

I'm supplementing with an external reader for now, which i'd been considering anyway, but I can't afford to send the machine back to SD for a few weeks. I vaguely remember this issue turning up before but can't find the thread. Is this likely something Gotham or another NY local can repair, or should I assume its going back to sound devices? If so, what sort of turnaround should I expect? I'll start calling around tomorrow, bu t I'm hoping to ascertain how bad the situation will be in terms of downtime.

Thanks in advance,

Harris

SD Will send you a loaner 788T for $80.00 plus shipping contact them tomorrow. You will have ZERO Downtime as you don't ship your machine until you have the loaner

Dont forget to save your user setting to the CF card.  Thinks like sound report, track names, and any usb or custom keyboard commands will not be saved.

All of that info is contained in the SML files in the SOUNDDEV folder on the internal drive.  Save all those files over USB and then copy them to the other machine.